A good steam tale

I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it is to move my steam install
onto a new drive/system. Just copy the whole steam folder onto the new
system, delete the clientregistry.blob file, and login.
Admittedly, you need to be online to login to the new install, but at
least it doesn't totally rely on the *windows* registry for it's
infomation, which would require a reinstall of steam and all
associated games/cd keys (mohaa, UT2004.....)
I'm far from pro-steam, and prefer the old cd key system, but if
things keep going in the same direction, we could end up using usb
dongles to authorize our software installs ( www.ilok.com )

ps. A big FU to all the idiots that seem to be bent (literally) on
destroying this group at the moment :p

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Steam works fine as long as you actually bought and paid for the game.
All the anti-steam nonsense is just stupidity.

"Steve Evans" wrote
>I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it is to move my steam install
> onto a new drive/system. Just copy the whole steam folder onto the new
> system, delete the clientregistry.blob file, and login.

Steam is a very flexible system once you get the grasp of the possibilities
the system offers the enduser

> Admittedly, you need to be online to login to the new install, but at
> least it doesn't totally rely on the *windows* registry for it's
> infomation, which would require a reinstall of steam and all
> associated games/cd keys (mohaa, UT2004.....)

If you know your way around some of the games is flexible as all content is
stored within the gamefolder
The MS approach to scatter files all over the place is a no go - imho

> I'm far from pro-steam, and prefer the old cd key system,

Steam is still in its infanity with a lot of flaws
Besides the GUI has changed a lot over time which makes it a bit difficult
to be "expert" on the system

> but if things keep going in the same direction, we could end
> up using usb dongles to authorize our software installs
> ( www.ilok.com )

Please no dongles, I hate dongles

> ps. A big FU to all the idiots that seem to be bent (literally) on
> destroying this group at the moment :p

I kind of understand them

Install steam and everything is messed up
Which system do you blaim?
But 99 out 100 times it's caused by anything else but Steam

- Peter

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it is to move my steam install
> onto a new drive/system. Just copy the whole steam folder onto the new
> system, delete the clientregistry.blob file, and login.
> Admittedly, you need to be online to login to the new install, but at
> least it doesn't totally rely on the *windows* registry for it's
> infomation, which would require a reinstall of steam and all
> associated games/cd keys (mohaa, UT2004.....)
> I'm far from pro-steam, and prefer the old cd key system, but if
> things keep going in the same direction, we could end up using usb
> dongles to authorize our software installs ( www.ilok.com )
>
> ps. A big FU to all the idiots that seem to be bent (literally) on
> destroying this group at the moment :p
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

I wish I had done what you did for my new XP install.
Instead I used the steam official backup utility to DVD...which worried
me...until I came to reinstall from the DVD backup. It reinstalled with no
problems, only thing I forgot about was it doesn't back up all the custom
maps, etc, only the gcf files. So I lost all my configs, maps, etc. Not that
big of a deal, but I guess your way it would have kept everything.

Still, hats off to steam for such a good backup facility !

regards

ginga

On 12 Mar 2005 06:57:50 -0800, "Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Steam works fine as long as you actually bought and paid for the game.
>All the anti-steam nonsense is just stupidity.

It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
this on a pay per minute dial up.

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

> On 12 Mar 2005 06:57:50 -0800, "Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Steam works fine as long as you actually bought and paid for the game.
> >All the anti-steam nonsense is just stupidity.
>
> It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
> this on a pay per minute dial up.

People still pay per minute?? There are plenty of monthly fee only dial up
offers around, cant think why anyone would still be paying.

Lief wrote:
> "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> > On 12 Mar 2005 06:57:50 -0800, "Gil"
<gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Steam works fine as long as you actually bought and paid for the
game.
> > >All the anti-steam nonsense is just stupidity.
> >
> > It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
> > this on a pay per minute dial up.
>
> People still pay per minute?? There are plenty of monthly fee only
dial up
> offers around, cant think why anyone would still be paying.

Because they don't use the internet that much and don't want to pay any
more than they have to.

I was on on PAYG for ages for this reason. 6 months ago I found I was
paying as much as the monthly fee, so at that point I switched. Then
Broadband came down to a similar price so I switched to a 150k
connection.

For people in this situation, it makes no sense to upgrade to a monthly
fee just for a single game. But in the meantime, it is inconvenient to
have to wait for Steam updates.

You may say "welcome to the future", but they're still stuck between
wasting time or money.

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

> "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> > On 12 Mar 2005 06:57:50 -0800, "Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Steam works fine as long as you actually bought and paid for the game.
> > >All the anti-steam nonsense is just stupidity.
> >
> > It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
> > this on a pay per minute dial up.
>
> People still pay per minute?? There are plenty of monthly fee only dial up
> offers around, cant think why anyone would still be paying.

would you sign up for a year of dialup if broadband was to be enabled within
3 months?

dr ratt

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Lief wrote:
> > "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> > > On 12 Mar 2005 06:57:50 -0800, "Gil"
> <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>

> game.
> > >
> > > It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
> > > this on a pay per minute dial up.
> >
> > People still pay per minute?? There are plenty of monthly fee only
> dial up
> > offers around, cant think why anyone would still be paying.
>
> Because they don't use the internet that much and don't want to pay any
> more than they have to.

Well that is no ones fault but their own.

> For people in this situation, it makes no sense to upgrade to a monthly
> fee just for a single game. But in the meantime, it is inconvenient to
> have to wait for Steam updates.

Meh, dont get a contract and you have to expect these one off bills every
now and then.

> You may say "welcome to the future", but they're still stuck between
> wasting time or money.

It is still their choice though.

No, I dont think I have a point here :p

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message

> > > It's ok on broadband, but I wouldn't be so happy if I had to do all
> > > this on a pay per minute dial up.
> >
> > People still pay per minute?? There are plenty of monthly fee only dial
up
> > offers around, cant think why anyone would still be paying.
> >

> would you sign up for a year of dialup if broadband was to be enabled
within
> 3 months?

No, I would pay monthly I guess....honestly havent looked in ages, but ok,
for situational cases I'll give you that one ;p

DumbestManOnUSENET wrote:
> I have to top post to reply directly to you, Steve Evans.
> I hate your last arrogant self-righteous provocative remarks (or
paragraph
> or p.s).
> Can't you just leave it out of your post, it does not serve any
purpose
> there.
> It just shows that you are a self-righteous, insulting, belligerant,
> hatred -inducing, a childish, puerile loser and Valve's ass licker ,
> wannabee self-promoting moderator and USENET dictator type of person
that
> this newsgroup does not need.
> You have your Big FU back in your face now.
> Go and deal with it....in a corner of your room.
>
> > ps. A big FU to all the idiots that seem to be bent (literally) on
> > destroying this group at the moment :p
> >
> > --
> > steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

I'm still wondering why they have to bend over to use this NG. Haven't
they got chairs?

I have to top post to reply directly to you, Steve Evans.
I hate your last arrogant self-righteous provocative remarks (or paragraph
or p.s).
Can't you just leave it out of your post, it does not serve any purpose
there.
It just shows that you are a self-righteous, insulting, belligerant,
hatred -inducing, a childish, puerile loser and Valve's ass licker , a