Oh, c'mon, didn't anyone buy a Seagate U6?

Is it still working OK? If not, how did it fail?

thanks,
nf

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"nutso fasst" <no.replies@no.where> wrote in message
> Is it still working OK? If not, how did it fail?

Please refer to the stupid questions department.

--
Joep

"Joep":
> Please refer to the stupid questions department.

Hmm, must've posted in the worthless answer department by mistake. Thanks
for sharing your expertise.

nf

nutso fasst wrote:

> "Joep":
>> Please refer to the stupid questions department.
>
> Hmm, must've posted in the worthless answer department by mistake. Thanks
> for sharing your expertise.

The first time you asked it wasn't stupid--begging for an answer is--you're
hoping that (a) somebody bought a drive that was never readily available to
end-users, (b) was never widely used in factory made PCs, (c) that one of
the few who does have such a drive experienced a failure, (d) that person
kept notes on the failure beyond "drive died", and (e) that that person
reads this newsgroup.

If you didn't get an answer the first time you probably aren't going to.

It's a cheap drive intended for embedded use in devices such as PVRs and
they seem to hold up well in that service--for more information than that
find a PVR or whatever that used them then search for a newsgroup or forum
specializing in that device.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke":
> The first time you asked it wasn't stupid--begging for an answer
is--you're
> hoping that (a) somebody bought a drive that was never readily available
> end-users, (b) was never widely used in factory made PCs, (c) that one of
> the few who does have such a drive experienced a failure, (d) that person
> kept notes on the failure beyond "drive died", and (e) that that person
> reads this newsgroup.

Thanks for taking the time to reply politely.

I was under the impression the U6 was popular due to low noise and price,
the reasons I bought two (googling finds consumer-oriented reviews still
online). A few years ago there were posts to this group implying the U6 was
notably unreliable. That seemed a bit early in the claimed-MTBF to judge.

The replies I was hoping for were along the lines of "mine's been working N
years with no problem" or, better yet, from a computer repair or data
recovery person: "not statistically worse than others." Having not gotten
such initially, I agree that pushing the question wasn't very sensible--and
a breach of etiquette not to be repeated.

regards,
nf