I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was not able to
find anything useful so far.

I'm experiencing a very slow transfer rate between two HDs on the same
IDE. The funny thing is that it used to be very fast and then at one
point something must have happened and it just slowed down. Now
transferring files to other PCs in the (100 Mbps) network is faster
than from HD to HD on the same machine.

In the IDE Channel properties I have (for both):

Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode

Any ideas ?

"SgeM" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was not able to
> find anything useful so far.
>
> I'm experiencing a very slow transfer rate between two HDs on the same
> IDE. The funny thing is that it used to be very fast and then at one
> point something must have happened and it just slowed down.

At the "pont" was the OS and HW unchanged? Can you associate anything with
the change?

>Now
> transferring files to other PCs in the (100 Mbps) network is faster
> than from HD to HD on the same machine.
>
> In the IDE Channel properties I have (for both):
>
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode
>
> Any ideas ?

Re-plug the cable to each HD and the mobo. Generally HDs should be on
separate ATA cables but that likely is not this issue.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:43:20 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@att.net>
wrote:

>"SgeM" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was not able to
>> find anything useful so far.
>>
>> I'm experiencing a very slow transfer rate between two HDs on the same
>> IDE. The funny thing is that it used to be very fast and then at one
>> point something must have happened and it just slowed down.
>
>At the "pont" was the OS and HW unchanged? Can you associate anything with
>the change?
Not that I can remember.

>>Now
>> transferring files to other PCs in the (100 Mbps) network is faster
>> than from HD to HD on the same machine.
>>
>> In the IDE Channel properties I have (for both):
>>
>> Transfer mode: DMA if available
>> Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
>Re-plug the cable to each HD and the mobo. Generally HDs should be on
>separate ATA cables but that likely is not this issue.
Nothing changed.

In article <2sv6b0l46d4v65uu5mjclnhup5827h1nup@4ax.com>,
SgeM <AnalogKid17@(more_than_warm)mail.com> says...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:43:20 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@att.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"SgeM" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> >> I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was not able to
> >> find anything useful so far.
> >>
> >> I'm experiencing a very slow transfer rate between two HDs on the same
> >> IDE. The funny thing is that it used to be very fast and then at one
> >> point something must have happened and it just slowed down.
> >
> >At the "pont" was the OS and HW unchanged? Can you associate anything with
> >the change?
> Not that I can remember.
>

> >>Now
> >> transferring files to other PCs in the (100 Mbps) network is faster
> >> than from HD to HD on the same machine.
> >>
> >> In the IDE Channel properties I have (for both):
> >>
> >> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> >> Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode
> >>
> >> Any ideas ?
> >
> >Re-plug the cable to each HD and the mobo. Generally HDs should be on
> >separate ATA cables but that likely is not this issue.
> Nothing changed.

Win2000... there used to be (still is?) a bug in Win2000
with DMA where Win2000 would slowly turn down the DMA
level on the drives. Can't say whether I've ever hit
it, and I can't find it quickly on Google ATM.

You might even have to remove the device from Device
Manager and allow Win2k to redetect (mmmm... better make
a backup first).

Maybe you updated your PCI / BusMastering drivers
recently?

Other then that, bite the bullet and get a cheap PCI IDE
card to hook that second drive to.