Media Player 7 won't start

am running Windows XP Professional which is up to date
in relation to service pak's and hot fixes.

My problem is the Player won't start, either when I
double click on a audio or movie file or from the "start
programs" shortcut. There is some disc activity, then
nothing!

It was working Tuesday and when I tried to start it on
Wednesday it would not start.

I did a system restore back to Tuesday and no luck.

I ran a virus check which did not find any viruses. I
also ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, both of which came up
clean.

Winamp works.

Any advice on how I can get Media Player working again
will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tim
1 answer Last reply
More about media player start

    WMP 8 is shipped with XP. You can't have WMP 7 on an XP machine.

    Assuming you just got the wrong number in there I would suggest scanning for
    both spyware and virus' and then reinstall WMP over itself.

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "Tim" <patewilliam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > am running Windows XP Professional which is up to date
    > in relation to service pak's and hot fixes.
    >
    > My problem is the Player won't start, either when I
    > double click on a audio or movie file or from the "start
    > programs" shortcut. There is some disc activity, then
    > nothing!
    >
    > It was working Tuesday and when I tried to start it on
    > Wednesday it would not start.
    >
    > I did a system restore back to Tuesday and no luck.
    >
    > I ran a virus check which did not find any viruses. I
    > also ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, both of which came up
    > clean.
    >
    > Winamp works.
    >
    > Any advice on how I can get Media Player working again
    > will be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >

    > Tim

Video Windows XP