bill

I recently installed a brand new Seagate 7200 Barracuda HD into my
computer with no problems whatsoever.

A "SMART" test via company online website shows "no parameters
exceeded."

Imagine my surprise when a trial SMART software which I downloaded for
free indicated TEC in May 2004 (!!!).

This software is called Active Smart 2.41.

Has anyone had similar disagreements with SMART before?

Comments wanted

thanks

Bill wrote:

> I recently installed a brand new Seagate 7200 Barracuda HD into my
> computer with no problems whatsoever.
>
> A "SMART" test via company online website shows "no parameters
> exceeded."
>
> Imagine my surprise when a trial SMART software which I downloaded for
> free indicated TEC in May 2004 (!!!).
>
> This software is called Active Smart 2.41.
>
> Has anyone had similar disagreements with SMART before?

What is the TEC that occurred. Without that info, the warning is pretty
useless.

Some SMART programs are more thorough than others. For the real scoop,
run "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (if it's your first hard drive)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download

-WD

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 21 May 2004 03:56:57 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Some SMART programs are more thorough than others. For the real scoop,
>run "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (if it's your first hard drive)
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download

I have Win2K and tried:

smartctl -a -d ata \\.\c:

and got back

+++++
Smartctl open device: \\.\c: failed: No such file or directory
+++++

What's wrong?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece.
One should rather skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, loudly proclaiming "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Bob wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 03:56:57 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Some SMART programs are more thorough than others. For the real scoop,
>>run "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (if it's your first hard drive)
>>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download
>

> I have Win2K and tried:
>
> smartctl -a -d ata \\.\c:
>
> and got back
>
> +++++
> Smartctl open device: \\.\c: failed: No such file or directory
> +++++
>
> What's wrong?

What's wrong is you did not follow my directions. If it's the first
drive you want to test, type:
smartctl -a /dev/hda

-WD

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:28:01 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>>>Some SMART programs are more thorough than others. For the real scoop,
>>>run "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (if it's your first hard drive)
>>>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download

>> I have Win2K and tried:
>> smartctl -a -d ata \\.\c:
>> and got back

>> +++++
>> Smartctl open device: \\.\c: failed: No such file or directory
>> +++++

>> What's wrong?

>What's wrong is you did not follow my directions.

You did not indicate that your directions were for Windows.

Furthermore the directions furnished with the utility do not indicate
that as the syntax for Windows.

It would help if you would be more explicit.

>If it's the first
>drive you want to test, type:
>smartctl -a /dev/hda

Indeed that works.

Thanks for the clarification.

--

Previously Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Bill wrote:

>> I recently installed a brand new Seagate 7200 Barracuda HD into my
>> computer with no problems whatsoever.
>>
>> A "SMART" test via company online website shows "no parameters
>> exceeded."
>>
>> Imagine my surprise when a trial SMART software which I downloaded for
>> free indicated TEC in May 2004 (!!!).
>>
>> This software is called Active Smart 2.41.
>>
>> Has anyone had similar disagreements with SMART before?

> What is the TEC that occurred. Without that info, the warning is pretty
> useless.

> Some SMART programs are more thorough than others. For the real scoop,
> run "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (if it's your first hard drive)
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download

Hey cool, this thing has a windows port?
I use it all the time for automatic monitoring (cron-jobs) in Linux.

Arno