Best CompactFlash Reader

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.

I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.

Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about best compactflash reader
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Jen Sampson wrote:
    > I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    > purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    > Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.
    >
    > I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    > useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    > that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.
    >
    > Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    > value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    > nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

    http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdetail.asp?CatID=36&SubCatID=76&ProdNo=FLY-M40-981
    This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work with
    both Win98 and Win XP.

    If you prefer an external unit, the SanDisk cards readers seem to work well.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I think he would be throwing good money away,if he doesn't need a floppy
    drive.There are many 6 or 7-in-1 card readers,for under $20 shipped! I have
    purchased them for as low as $12 shipped.Why pay $62? Check out
    newegg.com,or do a search on pricewatch.As long as you get a USB 2.0
    reader,one works pretty much as well as the next.
    "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    > Jen Sampson wrote:
    > > I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    > > purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    > > Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.
    > >
    > > I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    > > useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    > > that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.
    > >
    > > Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    > > value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    > > nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

    http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdetail.asp?CatID=36&SubCatID=76&ProdNo=FLY-M40-981
    > This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work with
    > both Win98 and Win XP.
    >
    > If you prefer an external unit, the SanDisk cards readers seem to work
    well.

  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Douglas" <.> wrote:

    > I think he would be throwing good money away,if he doesn't need a floppy
    > drive.There are many 6 or 7-in-1 card readers,for under $20 shipped! I
    > have purchased them for as low as $12 shipped.Why pay $62? Check out
    > newegg.com,or do a search on pricewatch.As long as you get a USB 2.0
    > reader,one works pretty much as well as the next.

    Main thing is convenience--if the machine has a limited number of exposed
    bays then the Mitsumi lets you have both the diskette drive and the various
    readers without using up an extra bay. Note that the diskette drive is
    attached via the standard diskette interface, not the USB cable.

    62 bucks is a high price though--newegg has it for 32 in white and 35 in
    black.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)