stuck in compatibility mode blues - esdi_506.pdr not in bo..

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)

Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
bootlog?

thanks, eric

eric@egypt.net (eric) wrote:

>Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
>googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
>compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)
>
>Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
>question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
>bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
>a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
>failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
>with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
>how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
>bootlog?

Here's something you can try: http://www.md4pc.com/questions/34.htm

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote in message news:<7ytsc.31663$KE6.3683@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

Yeah,

I've eben to that one already.

Bottom line is that esdi_506.pdr is not even mentioned the the
bootlog. That is strange, trying to find out how to invoke it.

eric

> eric@egypt.net (eric) wrote:
>
> >Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
> >googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
> >compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)
> >
> >Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
> >question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
> >bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
> >a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
> >failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
> >with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
> >how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
> >bootlog?
>
> Here's something you can try: http://www.md4pc.com/questions/34.htm

Did you try deleting IDE controllers, and reboot to reinstall?

"eric" <eric@egypt.net> wrote in message

> Bottom line is that esdi_506.pdr is not even mentioned the the
> bootlog. That is strange, trying to find out how to invoke it.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:55:03 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
<ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

I did a check and found two damaged sectors on hard drive. "Repaired"
them with hdd regenerator and now IBM drive fitness test program gives
it a clean bill of health. Reinstalled with win95a and i now have
protected mode drivers. Just fine.