stuck in compatibility mode blues - esdi_506.pdr not in bo..

Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)

Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
bootlog?

thanks, eric
4 answers Last reply
More about stuck compatibility mode blues esdi_506

    eric@egypt.net (eric) wrote:

    >Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
    >googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
    >compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)
    >
    >Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
    >question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
    >bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
    >a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
    >failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
    >with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
    >how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
    >bootlog?

    Here's something you can try: http://www.md4pc.com/questions/34.htm

    DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote in message news:<7ytsc.31663$KE6.3683@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

    Yeah,

    I've eben to that one already.

    Bottom line is that esdi_506.pdr is not even mentioned the the
    bootlog. That is strange, trying to find out how to invoke it.

    eric

    > eric@egypt.net (eric) wrote:
    >
    > >Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
    > >googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
    > >compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)
    > >
    > >Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
    > >question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
    > >bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
    > >a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
    > >failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
    > >with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
    > >how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
    > >bootlog?
    >
    > Here's something you can try: http://www.md4pc.com/questions/34.htm

    Did you try deleting IDE controllers, and reboot to reinstall?

    "eric" <eric@egypt.net> wrote in message

    > Bottom line is that esdi_506.pdr is not even mentioned the the
    > bootlog. That is strange, trying to find out how to invoke it.

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:55:03 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    I did a check and found two damaged sectors on hard drive. "Repaired"
    them with hdd regenerator and now IBM drive fitness test program gives
    it a clean bill of health. Reinstalled with win95a and i now have
    protected mode drivers. Just fine.

    >Did you try deleting IDE controllers, and reboot to reinstall?
    >
    >"eric" <eric@egypt.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Bottom line is that esdi_506.pdr is not even mentioned the the
    >> bootlog. That is strange, trying to find out how to invoke it.

Computer Compatibility Storage