Slow motion forward speed

Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could cause slow
forward movement?

About a week ago it seemed as if i was moving very slowly
when I moved forward. At first I thought I was stuck in a
duck/crawl state....but I wasn't. I played it for a while with this
afliction and it went away. Or so I thought.

Today I went to play and the same thing. This time I started to
troubleshoot it. I changed keyboards, bound my forward movement
to a different, key, restarted several times and still nothing.
I can't even hear my footsteps and jumps that I could normally make easily
I can't make due to lack of speed. If I hold a strafe key while moving
forward
I can speed up, and hear my footsteps. It really is quite annoying!!!

Any Ideas....?

Thanks for any help.

More about slow motion forward speed

    If it still happens make sure you aren't holding the use key :D

    "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could cause slow
    > forward movement?

    tooo much beeeer?
    ;-)

    "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could cause slow
    > forward movement?
    >
    > About a week ago it seemed as if i was moving very slowly
    > when I moved forward. At first I thought I was stuck in a
    > duck/crawl state....but I wasn't. I played it for a while with this
    > afliction and it went away. Or so I thought.
    >
    > Today I went to play and the same thing. This time I started to
    > troubleshoot it. I changed keyboards, bound my forward movement
    > to a different, key, restarted several times and still nothing.
    > I can't even hear my footsteps and jumps that I could normally make easily
    > I can't make due to lack of speed. If I hold a strafe key while moving
    > forward
    > I can speed up, and hear my footsteps. It really is quite annoying!!!
    >

    > Any Ideas....?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Isn't there a setting for "Always walk"? You know a tick box somewhere in
    the advanced settings?
    I could check but I cant be assed waiting for HL" to crank up :-/

    "Gingangooli" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could cause slow
    >> forward movement?
    >>
    >> About a week ago it seemed as if i was moving very slowly
    >> when I moved forward. At first I thought I was stuck in a
    >> duck/crawl state....but I wasn't. I played it for a while with this
    >> afliction and it went away. Or so I thought.
    >>
    >> Today I went to play and the same thing. This time I started to
    >> troubleshoot it. I changed keyboards, bound my forward movement
    >> to a different, key, restarted several times and still nothing.
    >> I can't even hear my footsteps and jumps that I could normally make
    >> easily
    >> I can't make due to lack of speed. If I hold a strafe key while moving
    >> forward
    >> I can speed up, and hear my footsteps. It really is quite annoying!!!
    >>

    >> Any Ideas....?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    > Isn't there a setting for "Always walk"? You know a tick box somewhere in
    > the advanced settings?
    > I could check but I cant be assed waiting for HL" to crank up :-/

    That's what I was looking for in keyboard settings, but couldnt find
    anything. Then I went to look at my config file to see if there was any
    bind in there that I didn't recognize but no luck there either.

    > "Gingangooli" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    > >> Does anyone have any ideas regarding what could cause slow
    > >> forward movement?
    > >>
    > >> About a week ago it seemed as if i was moving very slowly
    > >> when I moved forward. At first I thought I was stuck in a
    > >> duck/crawl state....but I wasn't. I played it for a while with this
    > >> afliction and it went away. Or so I thought.
    > >>
    > >> Today I went to play and the same thing. This time I started to
    > >> troubleshoot it. I changed keyboards, bound my forward movement
    > >> to a different, key, restarted several times and still nothing.
    > >> I can't even hear my footsteps and jumps that I could normally make
    > >> easily
    > >> I can't make due to lack of speed. If I hold a strafe key while moving
    > >> forward
    > >> I can speed up, and hear my footsteps. It really is quite annoying!!!
    > >>

    > >> Any Ideas....?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help.

    > > Isn't there a setting for "Always walk"? You know a tick box somewhere
    in
    > > the advanced settings?
    > > I could check but I cant be assed waiting for HL" to crank up :-/
    > >
    > That's what I was looking for in keyboard settings, but couldnt find
    > anything. Then I went to look at my config file to see if there was any
    > bind in there that I didn't recognize but no luck there either.

    check that your maximum forward speed = maximum reverse speed in the config

    dr ratt

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Gingangooli" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message

    >> > Isn't there a setting for "Always walk"? You know a tick box somewhere
    > in
    >> > the advanced settings?
    >> > I could check but I cant be assed waiting for HL" to crank up :-/
    >> >
    >> That's what I was looking for in keyboard settings, but couldnt find
    >> anything. Then I went to look at my config file to see if there was any
    >> bind in there that I didn't recognize but no luck there either.

    > check that your maximum forward speed = maximum reverse speed in the
    > config
    >
    > dr ratt

    I restored my system from a ghost file I created about a week ago, so that
    took care
    of my issue for now. If it happens again, I'll check the speed issue out.
    I spent enough time trying to figure it out before I threw in the towel.
    Ghost.....one of the best programs out there for sure!!!

    Thanks for all the input....

    My guess is you had "Always Run" turned off. This setting is there in
    Options, if you couldn't find it, that's probably what it was.

    --
    Tweek

    "Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
    > My guess is you had "Always Run" turned off. This setting is there in
    > Options, if you couldn't find it, that's probably what it was.

    Where in options is "always run"??? I found a possible bind for
    walk (which is what I'm doing when this happens) but there is
    no key bound to "walk". I have found no setting for "always run",
    although that is what we all do when we move forward, I just thought
    this was the default. Only now that I'm in "perma_walk" do I realize
    that walk is not a good option.

    And yes, It happened again. I'm now stuck with a "perma-walk"
    situation again.

    Additionally, twice today while playing someone asked the same
    question. They wanted to know if anyone else was stuck in
    "walk". It really is quite strange, and impossible to play from.
    The only cure I've found is to restore my system from ghost.
    Although this isn't a difficult process, I know there must be an
    easier answer.

    Any help appreciated!

    > "Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
    > > My guess is you had "Always Run" turned off. This setting is there in
    > > Options, if you couldn't find it, that's probably what it was.
    >

    > Where in options is "always run"??? I found a possible bind for
    > walk (which is what I'm doing when this happens) but there is
    > no key bound to "walk". I have found no setting for "always run",
    > although that is what we all do when we move forward, I just thought
    > this was the default. Only now that I'm in "perma_walk" do I realize
    > that walk is not a good option.

    Is this Half-Life or Half-Life 2? There's no option for "always run"
    in HL2. As far as I can tell, you can't "walk" at all in HL2. Holding
    the "walk" key or entering "+walk" in console doesn't change my
    speed. If it's HL2, I have no clue.

    If it's HL1, try bringing down the console and typing "-speed". I
    got stuck in walk sometimes due to my ill-conceived toggle walk
    bind (for the cliffs mostly), and that got me out.

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:43:05 GMT, "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Is this Half-Life or Half-Life 2? There's no option for "always run"
    >in HL2. As far as I can tell, you can't "walk" at all in HL2. Holding
    >the "walk" key or entering "+walk" in console doesn't change my
    >speed. If it's HL2, I have no clue.

    Walk is the default. Shift makes you sprint.

    "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
    >> > My guess is you had "Always Run" turned off. This setting is there in
    >> > Options, if you couldn't find it, that's probably what it was.
    >>

    >> Where in options is "always run"??? I found a possible bind for
    >> walk (which is what I'm doing when this happens) but there is
    >> no key bound to "walk". I have found no setting for "always run",
    >> although that is what we all do when we move forward, I just thought
    >> this was the default. Only now that I'm in "perma_walk" do I realize
    >> that walk is not a good option.
    >
    > Is this Half-Life or Half-Life 2? There's no option for "always run"
    > in HL2. As far as I can tell, you can't "walk" at all in HL2. Holding
    > the "walk" key or entering "+walk" in console doesn't change my
    > speed. If it's HL2, I have no clue.

    It's HL1...sorry should have been more clear.

    > If it's HL1, try bringing down the console and typing "-speed". I
    > got stuck in walk sometimes due to my ill-conceived toggle walk
    > bind (for the cliffs mostly), and that got me out.

    Well, I dont have "walk" bound, and after each occurance I've
    looked at my config just to make sure it wasn't something that
    got automatically entered for some strange reason.

    Next time it happens, and I'm sure there will be a next time (sadly)
    I'll try the "-speed" in console....

    Thanks for your help!

    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:43:05 GMT, "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Is this Half-Life or Half-Life 2? There's no option for "always run"
    > >in HL2. As far as I can tell, you can't "walk" at all in HL2. Holding
    > >the "walk" key or entering "+walk" in console doesn't change my
    > >speed. If it's HL2, I have no clue.
    >
    > Walk is the default. Shift makes you sprint.

    No, "jog" is default. There is a "+walk", bound to 'alt' by default,
    I believe. I assume that would make you move at the speed of
    NPCs when they walk, if it had been implemented. As it is, the
    only way to move that slow is to crouch.

    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:43:05 GMT, "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is this Half-Life or Half-Life 2? There's no option for "always run"
    >> >in HL2. As far as I can tell, you can't "walk" at all in HL2. Holding
    >> >the "walk" key or entering "+walk" in console doesn't change my
    >> >speed. If it's HL2, I have no clue.
    >>
    >> Walk is the default. Shift makes you sprint.
    >
    > No, "jog" is default. There is a "+walk", bound to 'alt' by default,
    > I believe. I assume that would make you move at the speed of
    > NPCs when they walk, if it had been implemented. As it is, the
    > only way to move that slow is to crouch.

    Well, It happened again of course. I can play and be just fine, quit...
    then I'll come back later and restart HL and bam! permawalk.

    I did try the "-speed" command in console....it didn't affect anything
    pertaining to my issue. I checked to see if alt did anything for me too,
    it didn't. I looked into my config file again and nothing was different
    that I could see. "+walk" isn't assigned anywhere in the config.

    This time, I figured I'd try a restore point instead of ghost, and the
    restore point did work so I guess a few minutes are saved.

    I thought that restore points really only applied to registry changes?
    A little strange that a restore point would work I think.

    Anyway, what a gigantic pain in the #%$!!!

    I guess I should have also pointed out that I am on a reasonably new
    system...although I didn't think there was any correlation but am now
    starting to wonder. I went from a "pimpin machine" to an all out
    "beast". I'd hate to think that it's the new rig, and am still not seeing
    a relationship. Anyway, Thanks again everyone for all the input! Any
    help is always appreciated.

    If it's any consolation, my machine has started doing exactly the same thing
    and it began at the same time, I think.

    I suspect something odd in the latest steam update.

    OOI, what hardware are you running. I have a dual-CPU which is the only
    "unusual" thing I could think of.

    Nigel

    > "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

    >>> Walk is the default. Shift makes you sprint.
    >>
    >> No, "jog" is default. There is a "+walk", bound to 'alt' by default,
    >> I believe. I assume that would make you move at the speed of
    >> NPCs when they walk, if it had been implemented. As it is, the
    >> only way to move that slow is to crouch.
    >
    > Well, It happened again of course. I can play and be just fine, quit...
    > then I'll come back later and restart HL and bam! permawalk.
    >
    > I did try the "-speed" command in console....it didn't affect anything
    > pertaining to my issue. I checked to see if alt did anything for me too,
    > it didn't. I looked into my config file again and nothing was different
    > that I could see. "+walk" isn't assigned anywhere in the config.
    >
    > This time, I figured I'd try a restore point instead of ghost, and the
    > restore point did work so I guess a few minutes are saved.
    >
    > I thought that restore points really only applied to registry changes?
    > A little strange that a restore point would work I think.
    >
    > Anyway, what a gigantic pain in the #%$!!!
    >
    > I guess I should have also pointed out that I am on a reasonably new
    > system...although I didn't think there was any correlation but am now
    > starting to wonder. I went from a "pimpin machine" to an all out
    > "beast". I'd hate to think that it's the new rig, and am still not seeing
    > a relationship. Anyway, Thanks again everyone for all the input! Any
    > help is always appreciated.

    > If it's any consolation, my machine has started doing exactly the same
    > thing
    > and it began at the same time, I think.
    >
    > I suspect something odd in the latest steam update.
    >
    > OOI, what hardware are you running. I have a dual-CPU which is the only
    > "unusual" thing I could think of.
    >
    > Nigel

    I've got an Alienware Workstation....dual 3.6's, 2Ghz RAM and a dual digital
    video card. All in all I love the machine, it's just this little quirk
    that's annoying me.
    Interesting that we both have "duelies", although I'm sure it's just a
    coincidence.

    What do you do to solve the issue when it happens to you?

    I haven't been able to. I'm hoping that they find out what it is and fix it
    in the next download. It does rather add weight to the Anti-Steam lobby,
    doesn't it.

    It makes the game unplayable, especially Counterstrike, which is a joke.

    You haven't fixed yours, have you? Other than reverting to an earlier image,
    which isn't really a viable option for me.

    Nigel

    >> If it's any consolation, my machine has started doing exactly the same
    >> thing
    >> and it began at the same time, I think.
    >>
    >> I suspect something odd in the latest steam update.
    >>
    >> OOI, what hardware are you running. I have a dual-CPU which is the only
    >> "unusual" thing I could think of.
    >>
    >> Nigel
    >>
    > I've got an Alienware Workstation....dual 3.6's, 2Ghz RAM and a dual
    > digital
    > video card. All in all I love the machine, it's just this little quirk
    > that's annoying me.
    > Interesting that we both have "duelies", although I'm sure it's just a
    > coincidence.
    >

    > What do you do to solve the issue when it happens to you?

    "Joe Soap" <notreal@nowhere-domain.com> wrote in message

    snippy snip

    > Nigel
    > "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> If it's any consolation, my machine has started doing exactly the same
    > >> thing
    > >> and it began at the same time, I think.
    > >>
    > >> I suspect something odd in the latest steam update.
    > >>
    > >> OOI, what hardware are you running. I have a dual-CPU which is the only
    > >> "unusual" thing I could think of.
    > >>
    > >> Nigel
    > >>
    > > I've got an Alienware Workstation....dual 3.6's, 2Ghz RAM and a dual
    > > digital
    > > video card. All in all I love the machine, it's just this little quirk
    > > that's annoying me.
    > > Interesting that we both have "duelies", although I'm sure it's just a
    > > coincidence.
    > >

    > > What do you do to solve the issue when it happens to you?

    i ran steam/cs1.6/cz on a dual cpu for over a year and never encountered
    this problem at all

    dr ratt

    Oh yes, so have I. It's only in the last week or so that the problem has
    appeared. That's the odd thing!

    Nigel

    > "Joe Soap" <notreal@nowhere-domain.com> wrote in message
    >
    > snippy snip
    >

    >> Nigel
    >> "zman" <zman@airnautique.com> wrote in message

    >> > I've got an Alienware Workstation....dual 3.6's, 2Ghz RAM and a dual
    >> > digital
    >> > video card. All in all I love the machine, it's just this little quirk
    >> > that's annoying me.
    >> > Interesting that we both have "duelies", although I'm sure it's just a
    >> > coincidence.
    >> >

    >> > What do you do to solve the issue when it happens to you?

    > i ran steam/cs1.6/cz on a dual cpu for over a year and never encountered
    > this problem at all
    >
    > dr ratt

    > i ran steam/cs1.6/cz on a dual cpu for over a year and never encountered
    > this problem at all
    >
    > dr ratt

    I also don't think it's a "duelie" issue. The system that I had before this
    current
    workstation, was a Dell dual 1ghz PIII's workstation. I never ran into an
    issue
    at all running any game on that system. I'm not sure what's caused it, and
    I'm
    vertually certain that it's just a coincidence that I just happened to get a
    new
    system and shortly after the issues began. Additionally, since I ran into
    two
    individuals in one day that while playing were remarking about this same
    issue (with much surprise)...and now Joe Soap with the same breakdown.....
    something isn't quite right and I doubt it's the machines.