OCZ Reveals RevoDrive 3 Max IOPS Editions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OCZ needs to focus on the Hybrid, if they make a proper hybrid(no dodgy software, and a bit more speed). it has quite a high chance of dominating the market. i mean look at the current 1 TB hybrid not bad for the price, but the software is just so bad i cant work with it.

but if they made it beter, and more reliable then i might just buy one, but their current software is useless, and horribly implemented.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I wonder how much 1 kidney, my appendix, my tonsils, my spleen and my gallbladder would go for. Maybe that'll get me one of those drives.[/citation]
It might get you one, if you throw in $100US, but probably not the X2 edition. :??:

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Leave it to OCZ to make the totally drool-worthy device that is gotta be overkill but that I gotta have for my system (Mac Pro) that it won't even work in.[/citation]

Hahaha Mac Pro.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]Hahaha Mac Pro.[/citation]
"laugh it up fuzz ball...laugh it up." - Han Solo

See, though I can't have a RevoDrive 3 X2 Max IOPS right now I can have this...and the this isn't too bad. What I'd lose in performance I'd gain in cross-platform and drive flexiblity.

...besides, I hate to toot my own horn but the Mac Pro certainly isn't slowing anything down.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I just bought the Revodrive 3 X2 and so far it is pretty nice. I have it bottlenecked though because it is installed in a PCIe 4x 1.1a slot instead of the 16x 2.0 slot like recommended but I will get to that later. So far I like it.

Hopefully in the near future Windows 7 or 8 will be able to pass trim commands to it. Right now, it supports trim but when the command is sent Windows just drops it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]"laugh it up fuzz ball...laugh it up." - Han SoloSee, though I can't have a RevoDrive 3 X2 Max IOPS right now I can have this...and the this isn't too bad. What I'd lose in performance I'd gain in cross-platform and drive flexiblity....besides, I hate to toot my own horn but the Mac Pro certainly isn't slowing anything down.[/citation]

Mac Pro is a blazing box and there is a way to get the RevoDrive to work on it. there are custom kext files that you can download to make it work. All you have to do is install OSX on a regular drive, install the custom kext so that it will see the Revodrive then do a bit copy from the main drive to the revodrive, then change the boot drive in disk utility and boom, boot right off the Revo.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I didn't understand the need for products like this, until I plugged my OCZ SSD with a 500 MB/s rated read speed into a Sata3 6GB/s port in a Z68 motherboard, and was shocked to see it running at 330MB/s read speed instead, because it was limited in bandwidth by the mobo. I did a bit of research, found out this was typical, and suddenly I'm looking at stuff like OCZ Revo drives as legit purchases, instead of silly niche stuff for crazy storage obsessed people.

Anyway, dropping about 200 bucks on a lower capacity Revodrive for a cache drive seems like an interesting idea. There's some compatibility issues, of course. Some motherboards don't work with a Revo drive at all, others require you to run it in only certain PCIe ports, and actually quite commonly, the onboard Raid controller needs to be disabled. So, be sure to check OCZ's webpage, and checkup on your motherboard's compatibility before getting one of these.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Mac Pro is a blazing box and there is a way to get the RevoDrive to work on it. there are custom kext files that you can download to make it work. All you have to do is install OSX on a regular drive, install the custom kext so that it will see the Revodrive then do a bit copy from the main drive to the revodrive, then change the boot drive in disk utility and boom, boot right off the Revo.[/citation]
Saaaawwweeeeetttt, I'll look into that.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]I didn't understand the need for products like this, until I plugged my OCZ SSD with a 500 MB/s rated read speed into a Sata3 6GB/s port in a Z68 motherboard, and was shocked to see it running at 330MB/s read speed instead, because it was limited in bandwidth by the mobo. I did a bit of research, found out this was typical, and suddenly I'm looking at stuff like OCZ Revo drives as legit purchases, instead of silly niche stuff for crazy storage obsessed people.Anyway, dropping about 200 bucks on a lower capacity Revodrive for a cache drive seems like an interesting idea. There's some compatibility issues, of course. Some motherboards don't work with a Revo drive at all, others require you to run it in only certain PCIe ports, and actually quite commonly, the onboard Raid controller needs to be disabled. So, be sure to check OCZ's webpage, and checkup on your motherboard's compatibility before getting one of these.[/citation]

I actually took a risk. I bought it, spent 699.00 of the 240gb thinking I had PCIe 2.0 on my Asus Commando board. It was not on the list either and I had PCIe 1.1a. There were some firmware and bios updates that seemed to stabilize everything so people are not getting the BSOD's like before. Well, put it in my 4x slot, system saw it, loaded the driver and now I am typing this to you guys with it as my boot drive. Windows 7 HD score went up to 7.9. I do know it is not where near it's potential right now because of my 5 year old board but it is stable, fast and I have no issues.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hmm. IIRC PCIe 1.1a would be 250MB/s per lane, right? So an 4x slot would provide a 1000MB/s data rate.... which would actually bottleneck a OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2. Isn't that crazy? 1000MB/s isn't fast enough?!

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I have a free x16 slot on this motherboard since I removed a Crossfired card. I might give this a try.

But who knows what it will do to the computer. BEst I can do with this one is a old Intel x25 at about 210 mb/second at best.

My question is if (money not being an object for this if) it could be raid 0ed. How awesome would it be to have four of these monsters running with raid 0 with over 7.5GB/s sequential? Could have a nearly instant boot ignoring time BIOS takes.

What kind of setup would it take to top that? Besides having a ton of 2.5" SSDs raided.

halcyon

Splendid
This kind of speed is purely luxury for the enthusiast that wants the best of the best. I'm glad OCZ offers it and I hope to one day be able to have this kind of performance for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.