Help: problem with backup DVD-R storage

background: Windows ME user

I recently had my PC files stored on a DVD-R and my drive's been
acting funny lately.

Usually I've had no problem retrieving whatever I wanted from the
DVD disc. But I've noticed sometimes that when I look up a file
on the disc, it's not listed - like it was erased. I've done
searches but turned up nothing. These are "read-only" files, so
I'm really puzzled how these files could just disappear.

I really need these files, and if someone can show me steps on
how to retrieve them, I'd appreciate it - thanks.

peter

Well, If you create a new session without importing the previous one, that
might happen.
Files ale still there, but now you need burn software to get to older
sessions. Can't use windows explorer alone, it does not see burried
sessions.
"Dan Stroud" <somp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> background: Windows ME user
>
> I recently had my PC files stored on a DVD-R and my drive's been
> acting funny lately.
>
> Usually I've had no problem retrieving whatever I wanted from the
> DVD disc. But I've noticed sometimes that when I look up a file
> on the disc, it's not listed - like it was erased. I've done
> searches but turned up nothing. These are "read-only" files, so
> I'm really puzzled how these files could just disappear.
>
> I really need these files, and if someone can show me steps on
> how to retrieve them, I'd appreciate it - thanks.

Dan Stroud <somp@yahoo.com> wrote:

>background: Windows ME user
>
>I recently had my PC files stored on a DVD-R and my drive's been
>acting funny lately.
>
>Usually I've had no problem retrieving whatever I wanted from the
>DVD disc. But I've noticed sometimes that when I look up a file
>on the disc, it's not listed - like it was erased. I've done
>searches but turned up nothing. These are "read-only" files, so
>I'm really puzzled how these files could just disappear.

If you're using Windows Explorer to look for the files, make sure that
it is set to show all files. I'm not sure about WinME, but in Win98,
the setting is under Folder Options in Explorer's View menu.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:30:46 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Dan Stroud <somp@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>background: Windows ME user
>>
>>I recently had my PC files stored on a DVD-R and my drive's been
>>acting funny lately.
>>
>>Usually I've had no problem retrieving whatever I wanted from the
>>DVD disc. But I've noticed sometimes that when I look up a file
>>on the disc, it's not listed - like it was erased. I've done
>>searches but turned up nothing. These are "read-only" files, so
>>I'm really puzzled how these files could just disappear.
>
>If you're using Windows Explorer to look for the files, make sure that
>it is set to show all files. I'm not sure about WinME, but in Win98,
>the setting is under Folder Options in Explorer's View menu.

What do you see when you spawn a DVM window?

P.S. I read your post again. I've had three cd burners fail in much the same
way as what you report... they made coasters but could contine to read fine.
But I wouldn't automatically toss the drive without ruling out some of those
other potential issues first. Best of luck, at least the price of these
drives is dropping.