Help: IDE => USB external enclosure not working

drj

Hi all,

I bought IDE to USB enclosres (OSN) for spare 2.5' laptop hard drives
(Toshiba MK3021GAS, 30GB). It is a self-powered (with two USB connectors
to computer and miniUDB to the enclosure), made by Tellhow Technology.
When I plug it into USB ports, the LCD enclosure lit up and computer
shows a USB Mass Storage. But it failed to start (Code 10). I have tried
many laptops and desktops, Windows 2000 and XP. all behaved the same.

Any idea?

Has anyone successfully uses MK3021GAS with a self-powered external
enclosure? are there compaibility issue with different brand of
enclosure and hard drives?

Thanks

In article <ABxtc.4424$kM6.1888
@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>, drj012004@yahoo.com
says...
> Hi all,
>
> I bought IDE to USB enclosres (OSN) for spare 2.5' laptop hard drives
> (Toshiba MK3021GAS, 30GB). It is a self-powered (with two USB connectors
> to computer and miniUDB to the enclosure), made by Tellhow Technology.
> When I plug it into USB ports, the LCD enclosure lit up and computer
> shows a USB Mass Storage. But it failed to start (Code 10). I have tried
> many laptops and desktops, Windows 2000 and XP. all behaved the same.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Has anyone successfully uses MK3021GAS with a self-powered external
> enclosure? are there compaibility issue with different brand of
> enclosure and hard drives?

Check the power-rating on the hard drive that you're
using... bus-powered USB is quite limited.

If it works using the power-brick, but not when bus-
powered then you've got your answer.