Help: IDE => USB external enclosure not working

Hi all,

I bought IDE to USB enclosres (OSN) for spare 2.5' laptop hard drives
(Toshiba MK3021GAS, 30GB). It is a self-powered (with two USB connectors
to computer and miniUDB to the enclosure), made by Tellhow Technology.
When I plug it into USB ports, the LCD enclosure lit up and computer
shows a USB Mass Storage. But it failed to start (Code 10). I have tried
many laptops and desktops, Windows 2000 and XP. all behaved the same.

Any idea?

Has anyone successfully uses MK3021GAS with a self-powered external
enclosure? are there compaibility issue with different brand of
enclosure and hard drives?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about help external enclosure working

    In article <ABxtc.4424$kM6.1888
    @newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>, drj012004@yahoo.com
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I bought IDE to USB enclosres (OSN) for spare 2.5' laptop hard drives
    > (Toshiba MK3021GAS, 30GB). It is a self-powered (with two USB connectors
    > to computer and miniUDB to the enclosure), made by Tellhow Technology.
    > When I plug it into USB ports, the LCD enclosure lit up and computer
    > shows a USB Mass Storage. But it failed to start (Code 10). I have tried
    > many laptops and desktops, Windows 2000 and XP. all behaved the same.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > Has anyone successfully uses MK3021GAS with a self-powered external
    > enclosure? are there compaibility issue with different brand of
    > enclosure and hard drives?

    Check the power-rating on the hard drive that you're
    using... bus-powered USB is quite limited.

    If it works using the power-brick, but not when bus-
    powered then you've got your answer.

USB Enclosure Storage