Partition help-with Win XP

I've got a 160GB WD using a Promise 100 ATA controller, as a storage drive.
I'm using Windows XP home, I would like to format the 160GB with 2 FAT32
partitions.
But Win XP will only seem to allow NTFS.
My Win 98SE boot disk can not see the whole drive.
I've heard partition magic can do the job.
Any other programs ?

Tod wrote:
> I've got a 160GB WD using a Promise 100 ATA controller, as a storage
> drive. I'm using Windows XP home, I would like to format the 160GB
> with 2 FAT32 partitions.
> But Win XP will only seem to allow NTFS.
> My Win 98SE boot disk can not see the whole drive.
> I've heard partition magic can do the job.
> Any other programs ?

Hi Tod,
This is an XP limitation of not allowing you to format FAT32 partition that
exceed 32 GB in size...
PartitionMagic 8.0 can indeed bypass this XP limitation...

Perhaps Ranish Partition Manager?
http://www.ranish.com/part/

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Had the same issue myself this week with an Hitachi 160gb drive. However I
chose to go with four NTFS partitions (still over the XP 32gb limit) because
as someone here pointed out, the bigger the partition the longer it would
take to defrag. My boot drive is still FAT32. To avoid the 32gb XP limit for
FAT32 perhaps you could use five partitions?
How come you want to use FAT32 over NTFS anyway?
Graham

GTS wrote:
> Had the same issue myself this week with an Hitachi 160gb drive.
> However I chose to go with four NTFS partitions (still over the XP
> 32gb limit) because as someone here pointed out, the bigger the
> partition the longer it would take to defrag. My boot drive is still
> FAT32. To avoid the 32gb XP limit for FAT32 perhaps you could use
> five partitions?
> How come you want to use FAT32 over NTFS anyway?
> Graham
You are talking to the wrong chap! :)

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

I solved my problem by using Western Digital's DOS utilities (boot disk).
It can see the whole 160GB hard drive (on the promise controller).
Formatted to two 75GB partitions.

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've got a 160GB WD using a Promise 100 ATA controller, as a storage
drive.
> I'm using Windows XP home, I would like to format the 160GB with 2 FAT32
> partitions.
> But Win XP will only seem to allow NTFS.
> My Win 98SE boot disk can not see the whole drive.
> I've heard partition magic can do the job.
> Any other programs ?

I'm just borrowing the drive, it's owner is going to use it
in a Win 98SE or Win Me computer.
He only has dial up, so I'm using my 3000/250 cable modem
to download stuff and put it on the second partition for him.