nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a dell demension with a 100gig in it and another self built system
with a 40gig. I want to switch the drives around and put the 40 gig in the
dell. there is plenty of room on the 100gig left probably around 60gigs,
however only 10gig on the 40gig drive. I want to try and do this without
loosing any data for the dell but dont care too much about the data on
self built system. I currently have XP home on the dell and XP pro on the
other. what sowtware could I use to do this and is there any precautions I
have to take on the dell drive? I have heard that there is a seperate
patition for some boot information.

Someone

Before starting - is anything of importance backed up to a resource other
than the hdd's you are working with?

"Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> I have a dell demension with a 100gig in it and another self built system
> with a 40gig. I want to switch the drives around and put the 40 gig in the
> dell. there is plenty of room on the 100gig left probably around 60gigs,
> however only 10gig on the 40gig drive. I want to try and do this without
> loosing any data for the dell but dont care too much about the data on
> self built system. I currently have XP home on the dell and XP pro on the
> other. what sowtware could I use to do this and is there any precautions I
> have to take on the dell drive? I have heard that there is a seperate
> patition for some boot information.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

well not yet, I don't have any spare drives and I'd rather find a way to
ghost it without formatting one of the drives...nothing too important is
on the dell computer i guess so maybe could i swap the drives and use
dells restore cd with no hassle? But if I have to back anything up i can
do it with my burner i guess.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:51:18 -0400, someone wrote:

> Before starting - is anything of importance backed up to a resource other
> than the hdd's you are working with?
>

> "Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> I have a dell demension with a 100gig in it and another self built system
>> with a 40gig. I want to switch the drives around and put the 40 gig in the
>> dell. there is plenty of room on the 100gig left probably around 60gigs,
>> however only 10gig on the 40gig drive. I want to try and do this without
>> loosing any data for the dell but dont care too much about the data on
>> self built system. I currently have XP home on the dell and XP pro on the
>> other. what sowtware could I use to do this and is there any precautions I
>> have to take on the dell drive? I have heard that there is a seperate
>> patition for some boot information.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

not yet but I can with my burner...but could i just swap the drives and
use the dell restore cd on the 40gig with it in the dell?

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:51:18 -0400, someone wrote:

> Before starting - is anything of importance backed up to a resource other
> than the hdd's you are working with?
>

> "Nick" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> I have a dell demension with a 100gig in it and another self built system
>> with a 40gig. I want to switch the drives around and put the 40 gig in the
>> dell. there is plenty of room on the 100gig left probably around 60gigs,
>> however only 10gig on the 40gig drive. I want to try and do this without
>> loosing any data for the dell but dont care too much about the data on
>> self built system. I currently have XP home on the dell and XP pro on the
>> other. what sowtware could I use to do this and is there any precautions I
>> have to take on the dell drive? I have heard that there is a seperate
>> patition for some boot information.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone around wanna help me with this???