Seagate 160mb SATA drive and Seagate DiscTools Problems - ..

Hi Everyone, I would be very grateful if you could assist me on this matter.

As already stated I have a Seagate ST3160023AS 160gb SATA Hard drive
connected to my Gigabyte GA-7VT600PL motherboard (which uses the VIA
VT8237 SATA chipset).

I have downloaded your disctools, burnt them to CD and ran them.

To start with it will only run the generic set of tests - should this be
the case?

For your information; when I first installed XP, using VIA SATA driver
disk, I partitioned my hard drive into C: D: E: F: drives, using NTFS
format under WINDOWS XP setup.

When I first ran the Disctools tests it said that C: D: E: had failed
with critical errors. But F: had passed with inconsistencies.

I then went into XP Pro and ran the error checking tool on all drives,
using the 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan for and
attempt recovery of bad sectors'. It then did its thing, but did not
come up with any messages that errors had been found.

I then used DISCTOOLS again and this time C: D: E: said the same thing
'failed with critical errors' but F: had passed.

I then decided to move the contents of E: partition to F: partition.
Format E: partition using NTFS.

Once complete, I then ran DISCTOOLS again, and to my suprise C: D: still
said 'failed with critical errors', E: had passed, but F: now said
'failed with critical errors'!

So the question is, should this be the case?

Are there any known issues with the VIA VT8237 SATA chipset? that could
cause this? or perhaps your DISCTOOLS program has some incompatibility
with NTFS issues?

Is it the Hard Drive, or is it the motherboard chipset, or could it even
be the processor?

Any help with this problem would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Sgt Wilson
4 answers Last reply
More about seagate 160mb sata drive seagate disctools problems

    Did you load the large drive drivers using F6 when loading Windows or
    something similar to deal with the >137G issues ?

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:25:12 +0100, Sgt_Wilson
    <sgtwilson@dadsarmy.com> wrote:

    >Hi Everyone, I would be very grateful if you could assist me on this matter.
    >
    >As already stated I have a Seagate ST3160023AS 160gb SATA Hard drive
    >connected to my Gigabyte GA-7VT600PL motherboard (which uses the VIA
    >VT8237 SATA chipset).
    >
    >I have downloaded your disctools, burnt them to CD and ran them.
    >
    >To start with it will only run the generic set of tests - should this be
    >the case?
    >
    >For your information; when I first installed XP, using VIA SATA driver
    >disk, I partitioned my hard drive into C: D: E: F: drives, using NTFS
    >format under WINDOWS XP setup.
    >
    >When I first ran the Disctools tests it said that C: D: E: had failed
    >with critical errors. But F: had passed with inconsistencies.
    >
    >I then went into XP Pro and ran the error checking tool on all drives,
    >using the 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan for and
    >attempt recovery of bad sectors'. It then did its thing, but did not
    >come up with any messages that errors had been found.
    >
    >I then used DISCTOOLS again and this time C: D: E: said the same thing
    >'failed with critical errors' but F: had passed.
    >
    >I then decided to move the contents of E: partition to F: partition.
    >Format E: partition using NTFS.
    >
    >Once complete, I then ran DISCTOOLS again, and to my suprise C: D: still
    >said 'failed with critical errors', E: had passed, but F: now said
    >'failed with critical errors'!
    >
    >So the question is, should this be the case?
    >
    >Are there any known issues with the VIA VT8237 SATA chipset? that could
    >cause this? or perhaps your DISCTOOLS program has some incompatibility
    >with NTFS issues?
    >
    >Is it the Hard Drive, or is it the motherboard chipset, or could it even
    >be the processor?
    >
    >Any help with this problem would be gratefully received.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Sgt Wilson

    John, thanks for replying

    Yes, I put the SATA drivers from the motherboard CD onto floppy, so when
    Win XP Setup started I pressed F6 and then chose them from the floppy.

    So I would have thought it should have work fine?

    Regards

    "Sgt_Wilson" <sgtwilson@dadsarmy.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone, I would be very grateful if you could assist me on this
    matter.

    > As already stated I have a Seagate ST3160023AS 160gb SATA Hard drive
    > connected to my Gigabyte GA-7VT600PL motherboard (which uses the VIA
    > VT8237 SATA chipset).
    >
    > I have downloaded your disctools, burnt them to CD and ran them.
    >
    > To start with it will only run the generic set of tests - should this be
    > the case?
    >
    > For your information; when I first installed XP, using VIA SATA driver
    > disk, I partitioned my hard drive into C: D: E: F: drives, using NTFS
    > format under WINDOWS XP setup.
    >
    > When I first ran the Disctools tests it said that C: D: E: had failed
    > with critical errors. But F: had passed with inconsistencies.
    >
    > I then went into XP Pro and ran the error checking tool on all drives,
    > using the 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan for and
    > attempt recovery of bad sectors'. It then did its thing, but did not
    > come up with any messages that errors had been found.
    >
    > I then used DISCTOOLS again and this time C: D: E: said the same thing
    > 'failed with critical errors' but F: had passed.
    >
    > I then decided to move the contents of E: partition to F: partition.
    > Format E: partition using NTFS.
    >
    > Once complete, I then ran DISCTOOLS again, and to my suprise C: D: still
    > said 'failed with critical errors', E: had passed, but F: now said
    > 'failed with critical errors'!
    >
    > So the question is, should this be the case?
    >
    > Are there any known issues with the VIA VT8237 SATA chipset? that could
    > cause this? or perhaps your DISCTOOLS program has some incompatibility
    > with NTFS issues?
    >
    > Is it the Hard Drive, or is it the motherboard chipset, or could it even
    > be the processor?
    >
    > Any help with this problem would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sgt Wilson

    Is the drive actually working OK in Windows? You mentioned Windows found no
    errors, so surely it must be a problem with the Seagate testing program with
    SATA drives or the VIA chipset. There is a known problem with hard drives
    larger then 137gb being corrupted when using stand-by or hibernate in XP -
    but this is easily fixed by downloading a hotfix from microsoft - see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
    Graham

    Hey Sarge...

    I know this is off topic but... do you also have a noisy drive when
    seeking? Mine is annoying!!!

    thanks for letting me know

    JL

SATA Seagate Storage