Equipment for hdd enclosures for backup: removable vs. USB..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 31, 2004 3:47:13 PM

I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup solution.

Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
drives being enclosed? is this a better solution than 1 because of being
able to swap drives?) or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
Group? others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly? is this an inferior
solution compared with #2?

Thanks. I look forward to the replies.

Ken K
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2004 3:10:46 AM

"Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message
> I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
> network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
> TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
> along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
> drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
> wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
> True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
> worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup
solution.

Acronis is where many of us are heading.

> Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
> with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
> drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
> my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
> that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
> for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
> hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
> drives being enclosed?

YES!

> is this a better solution than 1 because of being
> able to swap drives?)

Yes.

> or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
> Group?

Power and size make USB less attarctive than trays. Trays go into a really
good shock protected case much better. However USB can plug in most
anywhere.

> others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
> compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly?

Probably not a major factor for backup.

> is this an inferior
> solution compared with #2?

I use trays.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2004 3:10:47 AM

Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.

Ken

Ron Reaugh wrote:

>"Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message
>

>>I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
>>network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
>>TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
>>along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
>>drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
>>wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
>>True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
>>worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup
>>

>solution.
>
>Acronis is where many of us are heading.
>

>>Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
>>with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
>>drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
>>my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
>>that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
>>for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
>>hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
>>drives being enclosed?
>>

>YES!
>

>>is this a better solution than 1 because of being
>>able to swap drives?)
>>

>Yes.
>

>>or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
>>Group?
>>

>Power and size make USB less attarctive than trays. Trays go into a really
>good shock protected case much better. However USB can plug in most
>anywhere.
>

>>others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
>>compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly?
>>

>Probably not a major factor for backup.
>

>>is this an inferior
>>solution compared with #2?
>>

>I use trays.

June 1, 2004 4:41:43 PM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:49:16 -0700, Ken Krone
<psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
>me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.
>
>Ken

Jezuz - once is enough.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

Government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases:
* If it moves, tax it.
* If it keeps moving, regulate it.
* If it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2004 4:46:14 PM

You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
been an error in sending the message...

Bob wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:49:16 -0700, Ken Krone
><psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
>>me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.
>>
>>Ken
>>

>Jezuz - once is enough.

June 2, 2004 5:34:26 AM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:14 -0700, Ken K
<psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:

>You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
>been an error in sending the message...

Get Mozilla.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

Government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases:
* If it moves, tax it.
* If it keeps moving, regulate it.
* If it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2004 8:04:25 PM

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:40bd2e96.1825765@news-server.houston.rr.com...
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:14 -0700, Ken K <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:
>
> >You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
> >been an error in sending the message...
>

> Get Mozilla.

Utterly clueless, as always.

a b G Storage
June 2, 2004 8:58:57 PM

Ken,
Help me out here with your email address, I tried removing the obvious (to
me), but it didn't work that way.

Thanks,
--Dan

"Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message
June 2, 2004 10:27:14 PM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:04:25 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>> >You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
>> >been an error in sending the message...

>> Get Mozilla.

>Utterly clueless, as always.

You really are a prick. That's because you suffer from a justifiable
inferiority complex.

--

!