Equipment for hdd enclosures for backup: removable vs. USB..

I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup solution.

Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
drives being enclosed? is this a better solution than 1 because of being
able to swap drives?) or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
Group? others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly? is this an inferior
solution compared with #2?

Thanks. I look forward to the replies.

Ken K
9 answers Last reply
More about equipment enclosures backup removable

    "Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message
    > I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
    > network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
    > TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
    > along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
    > drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
    > wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
    > True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
    > worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup
    solution.

    Acronis is where many of us are heading.

    > Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
    > with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
    > drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
    > my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
    > that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
    > for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
    > hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
    > drives being enclosed?

    YES!

    > is this a better solution than 1 because of being
    > able to swap drives?)

    Yes.

    > or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
    > Group?

    Power and size make USB less attarctive than trays. Trays go into a really
    good shock protected case much better. However USB can plug in most
    anywhere.

    > others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
    > compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly?

    Probably not a major factor for backup.

    > is this an inferior
    > solution compared with #2?

    I use trays.

    Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
    me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.

    Ken

    Ron Reaugh wrote:

    >"Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>I have decided to ditch my DDS-3 tape backup as the demands in my home
    >>network are just too great, in light of kids and wife keeping movies and
    >>TV shows. I will be starting from scratch and my thoughts are somewhere
    >>along the line of RAID1 for a hard drive failure and an additional hard
    >>drive for whole network backup, presently about 130GB's including my
    >>wife and daughter's computers. I was pleased to discover that Acronis
    >>True Image 7.0 backed up an image over my home network, and it even
    >>worked when I did a test restore, so I will use that as my backup
    >>

    >solution.
    >
    >Acronis is where many of us are heading.
    >

    >>Now, the issue is a hard drive and whether to use a swapable enclosure
    >>with additional trays for drives (for that I thought I would use a SATA
    >>drive, as they are apparently hot-swapable and I have SATA connectors on
    >>my ASUS P4PE mb) or an external USB 2.0 enclosure and swap drives in
    >>that. The three options are : 1, a "permanent" hdd in my computer (reco
    >>for 200-250GB hdd?), 2, a swapable enclosure with additional trays for
    >>hdds (which equipment? Vantec? Kingwin? is there a heat issue with the
    >>drives being enclosed?
    >>

    >YES!
    >

    >>is this a better solution than 1 because of being
    >>able to swap drives?)
    >>

    >Yes.
    >

    >>or 3, a USB2.0 external drive (which one? Mace
    >>Group?
    >>

    >Power and size make USB less attarctive than trays. Trays go into a really
    >good shock protected case much better. However USB can plug in most
    >anywhere.
    >

    >>others? how restrictive is the data transfer rate with USB2.0
    >>compared to a hdd connected to the mb directly?
    >>

    >Probably not a major factor for backup.
    >

    >>is this an inferior
    >>solution compared with #2?
    >>

    >I use trays.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:49:16 -0700, Ken Krone
    <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:

    >Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
    >me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.
    >
    >Ken

    Jezuz - once is enough.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    Government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases:
    * If it moves, tax it.
    * If it keeps moving, regulate it.
    * If it stops moving, subsidize it.
    --Ronald Reagan

    You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
    been an error in sending the message...

    Bob wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:49:16 -0700, Ken Krone
    ><psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks, Ron. I am sure that you do not remember but you had "tutored"
    >>me years ago through my SCSI years. Thanks for your continued info.
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>

    >Jezuz - once is enough.

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:14 -0700, Ken K
    <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:

    >You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
    >been an error in sending the message...

    Get Mozilla.

    --

    "Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:40bd2e96.1825765@news-server.houston.rr.com...
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:14 -0700, Ken K <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
    > >been an error in sending the message...
    >

    > Get Mozilla.

    Utterly clueless, as always.

    Ken,
    Help me out here with your email address, I tried removing the obvious (to
    me), but it didn't work that way.

    Thanks,
    --Dan

    "Ken Krone" <psnwREMOVE@NotheSPAMkrones.com> wrote in message

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:04:25 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
    <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

    >> >You are correct, except that my browser told we twice that there had
    >> >been an error in sending the message...

    >> Get Mozilla.

    >Utterly clueless, as always.

    You really are a prick. That's because you suffer from a justifiable
    inferiority complex.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    Government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases:
    * If it moves, tax it.
    * If it keeps moving, regulate it.
    * If it stops moving, subsidize it.
    --Ronald Reagan