MOV files won't play via Quicktime

Hi to all. I have a CD ROM of .MOV files of short movies
I shot on an Olympus C-310 digital camera. They play
fine in Quicktime media player Ver 6.5 when I open them
directly from the CD, but if I drag and drop, or copy and
paste them into a folder on the hard drive, the copies
won't play. When I try to open them, I get this error
message: "Couldn't open the file '********.MOV' because
the file was not found", (I am not trying to open the
ones on the CD). If I try to open the files without the
CD ROM in the drive, I get the dialog box with the
message, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a
disk into drive D:." with three buttons - Cancel,Try
Again and Continue. If I click on any of the buttons
nothing happens. The box just stays there. There is no
target path information if I go to properties of the
files. Does anybody have any ideas about how I can
change or check the path to see if that helps? I have re-
installed Quicktime, and deleted and recopied the MOV
files back to the C: drive. I have opened Windows
Explorer and gone to Tools> Options> File Types
tab> "New" button and added MOV file type.

Does anybody know of any other media players that I can
try that would play MOV file types? Windows Media Player
9.0 won't play them either, but I don't believe it should.

Andy

I have the same problem except that I don't get the "no disk in drive" error. When I try to open a Quicktime .mov file I get a "couldn't open.... because the file was not found" error. Interestingly, this only happens if the file is on drive C:, anywhere on drive C:. It plays fine from a CDROM or even from my second hard drive. I have .mov files created by my Olympus C-3000 camera, but it also happens with any other mov files downloaded from the internet. I have Windows XP Pro. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of Quicktime from regular mode, safe mode, administrator, etc. I've tried disabling File Indexing, I've run CHKDSK, I've changed sharing and security on drive C:, but still the same problem. I also have Norton Systemworks and have run various diagnostics and fixes but I still can't get rid of the problem. I've got too much data and settings to just backup and do a clean reinstall of Windows. I know of one other program that should play .mov files, IrfanView. I get the same error when I associate .mov files with that program and try to run it, so it seems to be a Windows configuration problem.

BigasoftDonna

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
According to the info in Apple official site, QuickTime does support MOV files. However, MOV is a multimedia container file that contains one or more tracks, each of which stores a particular type of data: audio, video, effects, or text (e.g. for subtitles). Sometimes, QuickTime cannot handle all these MOV files very well. In such situation, you will meet the issue that QuickTime cannot play MOV files.

To solve MOV QuickTime issue and play all kinds of MOV files in QuickTime easily, it is a quite wise choice to convert MOV files to QuickTime supported file formats with a professional MOV to QuickTime Converter.

I know a very nice solution. It can be easily gotten in Google by typing "MOV QuickTime - How to Solve "QuickTime Cannot Play MOV" Issue?".