zip drive stopped working, not found, code 10

I have used the zip drive with my notebook computer before, with no
problems at all, but now I cannot get it to work. It has been a few
months since I last had it hooked up to the notebook. I know I added a
scanner via the USB port, but I can't think of anything that would
have caused this problem. The zip drive uses a parallel port.

I have tried uninstalling the software, then reinstalling. I also
downloaded a new setup program for win XP. Nothing seems to help. I
get an error message saying that no zip drive was detected. And the
device manager gives me a code 10, saying it can't be started.

I have unpluged and replugged both ends of the cord several times. I
do not have a printer attached to this computer, so that can't be it.

Any ideas why it won't work now, even though it used to before? I'm
really stuck in a bind. I set the notebook up with a newer faster
scanner so that I could leave my desktop open to other tasks. Now I
need to transfer the files, and I can't. My only other option is to
buy an external CD writer, which I cannot afford at the moment.
Otherwise, the files are too large to transfer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

On 1 Jun 2004 23:56:37 -0700, friesian@zoocrewphoto.com (Meghan Noecker)
wrote:

>I have used the zip drive with my notebook computer before, with no
>problems at all, but now I cannot get it to work. It has been a few
>months since I last had it hooked up to the notebook. I know I added a
>scanner via the USB port, but I can't think of anything that would
>have caused this problem. The zip drive uses a parallel port.
>
>I have tried uninstalling the software, then reinstalling. I also
>downloaded a new setup program for win XP. Nothing seems to help. I
>get an error message saying that no zip drive was detected. And the
>device manager gives me a code 10, saying it can't be started.
>
>I have unpluged and replugged both ends of the cord several times. I
>do not have a printer attached to this computer, so that can't be it.
>
>Any ideas why it won't work now, even though it used to before? I'm
>really stuck in a bind. I set the notebook up with a newer faster
>scanner so that I could leave my desktop open to other tasks. Now I
>need to transfer the files, and I can't. My only other option is to
>buy an external CD writer, which I cannot afford at the moment.
>Otherwise, the files are too large to transfer.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try going into the properties of the LPT port and making sure "Enable
Legacy Plug and Play detection" is checked. Then reboot.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:28:38 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Try going into the properties of the LPT port and making sure "Enable
>Legacy Plug and Play detection" is checked. Then reboot.
>
>--

I hope you are still online. After much searching, I found
instructions for doing this, and to my astonishment, there is no "port
settings" to click on!

I went to the device manager, and it isn't there. So, now I am stumped
as to how to get that back and fix it.

I have never looked for it before, but I assume it must have been
there since the zip drive worked the first time I hooked it up. I have
never tried a printer, so that wasn't ever an issue. I did just hooked
up a scanner a few days ago, and it works fine with the USB port. Did
it somehow get rid of the port settings?

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

On 2 Jun 2004 09:14:27 GMT, friesian@zoocrewphoto.com (Meghan Noecker)
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:28:38 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>>
>>Try going into the properties of the LPT port and making sure "Enable
>>Legacy Plug and Play detection" is checked. Then reboot.
>
>I hope you are still online. After much searching, I found
>instructions for doing this, and to my astonishment, there is no "port
>settings" to click on!
>
>I went to the device manager, and it isn't there. So, now I am stumped
>as to how to get that back and fix it.
>
>I have never looked for it before, but I assume it must have been
>there since the zip drive worked the first time I hooked it up. I have
>never tried a printer, so that wasn't ever an issue. I did just hooked
>up a scanner a few days ago, and it works fine with the USB port. Did
>it somehow get rid of the port settings?

I don't know why a USB device would mess with the printer port. Strange.
You didn't change your BIOS settings?

Well, you might just try using System Restore to see if one of the last
restore points would correct the problem. You'd probably need to
reinstall the scanner after that though.

I don't use System Restore myself so what I would do would be to uninstall
the printer port in the device manager and reboot and see if it didn't
correct the missing tab situation when it reloaded the port on the next
boot.

--

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:30:15 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I don't know why a USB device would mess with the printer port. Strange.
>You didn't change your BIOS settings?

Not intentionally. I don't even know how to do that.

>Well, you might just try using System Restore to see if one of the last
>restore points would correct the problem. You'd probably need to
>reinstall the scanner after that though.

Will A system restore eliminate any saved files since the point it is
going back to? I spent two long nights scanning 394 photos, and that
is what I am trying to transfer to the desktop. I need to edit the
photos, burn a CD of the larger file type, then save them in a smaller
format to upload to a website. I can't do any of the until I get them
transferred. I would have tried the restore earlier, but I don't want
to lose all those files.

>I don't use System Restore myself so what I would do would be to uninstall
>the printer port in the device manager and reboot and see if it didn't
>correct the missing tab situation when it reloaded the port on the next
>boot.

I don't see a printer port listed. I am currently trying to install my
printer to see if that will produce a printer port.

I am getting really frustrated with this computer. I have never had so
many problems. I really wish ithad win 98 on it which I like a lot
better.

I have run the installion for my printer twice. I didn't have the CD
handy, so I downloaded an MB file for XP from Canon's website. It
still says it is not installed, and it asks for a CD. When I try to
pick the location on the hard drive where I saved the
inbstallationfile, it won't let me. So, I can't print either.

At this rate, it would be faster to use my desktop and old scanner
which scans one photo per minute (compared to thenew one at 15
seconds). It also means I cannot check email or do anything else
because the computer crashes if I do this. I really liked the idea of
using the notebook for this task, but it won't cooperate. This is my
third night fightng with it.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

On 2 Jun 2004 09:52:19 GMT, friesian@zoocrewphoto.com (Meghan Noecker)
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:30:15 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>

>>I don't know why a USB device would mess with the printer port. Strange.
>>You didn't change your BIOS settings?
>>

>Not intentionally. I don't even know how to do that.
>
>>Well, you might just try using System Restore to see if one of the last
>>restore points would correct the problem. You'd probably need to
>>reinstall the scanner after that though.
>>

>Will A system restore eliminate any saved files since the point it is
>going back to? I spent two long nights scanning 394 photos, and that
>is what I am trying to transfer to the desktop. I need to edit the
>photos, burn a CD of the larger file type, then save them in a smaller
>format to upload to a website. I can't do any of the until I get them
>transferred. I would have tried the restore earlier, but I don't want
>to lose all those files.

No, a System Restore will leave those kind of files alone. Restore Points
are made when installing new devices or drivers (or manually). So if you
have a Restore Point that dates back to when the Zip drive was working you
could try that one.

>>I don't use System Restore myself so what I would do would be to uninstall
>>the printer port in the device manager and reboot and see if it didn't
>>correct the missing tab situation when it reloaded the port on the next
>>boot.
>>
>I don't see a printer port listed. I am currently trying to install my
>printer to see if that will produce a printer port.

Now it's not listed? I thought you were able to check it's properties but
found that there was no LPT Port settings tab. The LPT port is the
printer port. Those terms are pretty much interchangeable.

If there is no such port listed then either it's been disabled in the BIOS
settings (usually you hit Delete or F1 when the computer is first starting
to boot up to enter the BIOS setup) or it's defective. I think if it was
defective then XP would show it in the device manager but with a yellow
exclamation mark indicating there was an error however.

>I am getting really frustrated with this computer. I have never had so
>many problems. I really wish ithad win 98 on it which I like a lot
>better.
>
>I have run the installion for my printer twice. I didn't have the CD
>handy, so I downloaded an MB file for XP from Canon's website. It
>still says it is not installed, and it asks for a CD. When I try to
>pick the location on the hard drive where I saved the
>inbstallationfile, it won't let me. So, I can't print either.
>
>At this rate, it would be faster to use my desktop and old scanner
>which scans one photo per minute (compared to thenew one at 15
>seconds). It also means I cannot check email or do anything else
>because the computer crashes if I do this. I really liked the idea of
>using the notebook for this task, but it won't cooperate. This is my
>third night fightng with it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully it's just a configuration
problem and not something that will require replacing.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

You scanner installer might have installed full set of its drivers, not only
for USB but also for older LPT variant of a scanner, and it might screw up
your ZIP.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:45:14 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>No, a System Restore will leave those kind of files alone. Restore Points
>are made when installing new devices or drivers (or manually). So if you
>have a Restore Point that dates back to when the Zip drive was working you
>could try that one.

If I have to, I will try that. And I suspect the scanner caused the
problem. But it took me a couple days to get that to work, so if I do
the restore, it sounds like I will be back to square one with the
scanner. And I would assume it would do it again.

>>I don't see a printer port listed. I am currently trying to install my
>>printer to see if that will produce a printer port.
>
>Now it's not listed? I thought you were able to check it's properties but
>found that there was no LPT Port settings tab. The LPT port is the
>printer port. Those terms are pretty much interchangeable.

The printer uses the USB cable, and after several hours, I did get it
working last night. It was not working at the time I sent the email,
though I had tried to install it several times. It said it couldn't
find the driver, but once I turned the printer off, it setup just
fine.

As for the LPT port, I cannot find anything for that.

>If there is no such port listed then either it's been disabled in the BIOS
>settings (usually you hit Delete or F1 when the computer is first starting
>to boot up to enter the BIOS setup) or it's defective. I think if it was
>defective then XP would show it in the device manager but with a yellow
>exclamation mark indicating there was an error however.

I will probably need to go into the bios setup.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:57:18 GMT, "Alexander Grigoriev"
<alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

>You scanner installer might have installed full set of its drivers, not only
>for USB but also for older LPT variant of a scanner, and it might screw up
>your ZIP.

I think you are correct. Do you think there is a way to fix it from
here, or do I need to uninstall the scanner. If so, how do I reinstall
the scanner so that it doesn't take over the parallel port?

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

I tried a restore, but it didn't help. Apparently, the problem is
older than the last checkpoint (May 2nd). It won't let me choose an
older date.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

The scanner's drivers may be installed as a filter over parport.sys. Open
regedit.exe, and find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0401\<whatever>
Check if there is UpperFilters value. Delete it. if you're not able to
delete it, just delete the parallel port in the device manager and perform
rescan. Then reinstall ZIP drivers.