P message when moving hard drive

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have three hard drives and I sometimes remove one and later replace it.
After I replace a hard drive and boot my XP Pro I get a message which says:

"Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports
your device requires that you restart your compouter. You must restart your
computer before the new settings will take effect."

This sounds as if XP has installed a software driver or something like that
just for the new hard drive. Is this correct?

(1) Do I really need to reboot?

(2) Where can I look to find out exactly what XP thinks it has installed? I
have looked at the Event Viewer but it doesn't seem to have any info
connected to this message.

James G wrote:

> I have three hard drives and I sometimes remove one and later replace it.
> After I replace a hard drive and boot my XP Pro I get a message which
> says:
>
> "Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports
> your device requires that you restart your compouter. You must restart
> your computer before the new settings will take effect."
>
> This sounds as if XP has installed a software driver or something like
> that just for the new hard drive. Is this correct?
>
> (1) Do I really need to reboot?
>
> (2) Where can I look to find out exactly what XP thinks it has installed?
> I have looked at the Event Viewer but it doesn't seem to have any info
> connected to this message.

Start/settings/control panel/system/device manager IIRC (I'm not sitting at
an XP machine at the moment).

And XP does not directly support hot-swapping of hard disks. Unless you're
using a host adapter with such support in its drivers you're asking for
trouble by doing this.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)