300d black body

canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04040801eos300dblack.asp
only in japan at the moment
the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
go through the roof, come on canon get your act together
15 answers Last reply
More about 300d black body
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    > > canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04040801eos300dblack.asp
    > > only in japan at the moment
    > > the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
    > > people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
    > > instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
    > > go through the roof, come on canon get your act together
    >
    > More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
    > Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
    > 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
    > the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
    > grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
    > Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

    George,

    This is a stupid post even by your standards.

    Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    adm wrote:

    > "J?rg Preddimann" <preddimann@skinheads.zzn.com> wrote in message
    > > Mark Spacey <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
    > > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04040801eos300dblack.asp
    > > > only in japan at the moment
    > > > the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
    > > > people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
    > > > instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
    > > > go through the roof, come on canon get your act together
    > >
    > > More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
    > > Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
    > > 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
    > > the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
    > > grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
    > > Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.
    >
    > George,
    >
    > This is a stupid post even by your standards.
    >
    > Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

    if sigma sensors are produced in sweatshops,
    it would explain the blotchy color.

    If you people would quit responding to this idiot, he's leave and
    go pester someone else....

    On 11 Jul 2004 00:11:02 -0700, preddimann@skinheads.zzn.com (J?rg
    Preddimann) wrote:

    >Mark Spacey <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2klilgF3pk2aU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    >> canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04040801eos300dblack.asp
    >> only in japan at the moment
    >> the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
    >> people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
    >> instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
    >> go through the roof, come on canon get your act together
    >
    >More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
    >Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
    >300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
    >the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
    >grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
    >Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

    >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
    >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
    >best).

    These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    cameras at ISO 100 and 200?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "TP" <tp@nospam.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB
    at
    > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the
    very
    > >best).
    >

    > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

    The D70 at ISO 200 had 42dB of signal to noise ratio (41 at 400, 39 at 800
    and 37 at 1600)

    The Olympus E1 at ISO 100 had 43dB of signal to noise ratio (42 at 200, 40
    at 400, 39 at 800 and 34 at 1600, 30 at 3200)

    Jean
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
    > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
    > >best).
    >

    > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

    I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
    and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)

    SD10 picture
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SigmaSD10/Samples/Night/IMG10084.jpg

    D70 picture
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/Samples/Night/DSC_0003.jpg

    any more comments needed?

    Bodo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "Bodo Malo" <bodomalo@gmx.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB
    at
    > > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the
    very
    > > >best).
    > >

    > > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    > > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    > > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?
    >

    > I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
    > and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
    >
    > SD10 picture
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SigmaSD10/Samples/Night/IMG10084.jpg
    >

    > D70 picture
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/Samples/Night/DSC_0003.jpg
    >
    > any more comments needed?
    >
    > Bodo

    Very interesting images, at least with these there is no question as to
    which camera took them, the EXIF information is intact. The SD10 does a
    worse job than my old Collpix 4500 with it's smaller and potentially worse
    sensor.

    Jean
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    Bodo Malo wrote:

    > > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
    > > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
    > > >best).
    > >

    > > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    > > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    > > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?
    >
    > I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
    > and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
    >
    > SD10 picture
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SigmaSD10/Samples/Night/IMG10084.jpg
    >
    > D70 picture
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/Samples/Night/DSC_0003.jpg
    >
    > any more comments needed?

    but look at how well the sd10 renders
    the rainbow color pattern in the shadows.

    the d70 completely missed all the rainbow!!

    > Bodo
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "Bodo Malo" <bodomalo@gmx.net> wrote:>
    >I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
    >and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
    >SD10 picture
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SigmaSD10/Samples/Night/IMG10084.jpg
    >D70 picture
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/Samples/Night/DSC_0003.jpg
    >any more comments needed?

    Well, I did ask about the Olympus E-1!

    But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
    performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
    the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    >These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
    >and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
    >cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

    > >I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
    > >and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
    > >SD10 picture
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SigmaSD10/Samples/Night/IMG10084.jpg
    > >D70 picture
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/Samples/Night/DSC_0003.jpg
    > >any more comments needed?
    >

    > Well, I did ask about the Olympus E-1!

    Sorry, I thought you asked about both cameras - D70 and E1
    The E1 has also a good picture quality, but much more noise at high iso levels (800, 1600)

    Also I think the camera is too expensive and doesn't offer a lot of lenses.

    > But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
    > performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
    > the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.

    Maybe because of the metal body. There are no other reasons to buy the D100.
    Anyway the D100 will be replaced this fall, there is no reason to buy it anymore.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "Bodo Malo" <bodomalo@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Sorry, I thought you asked about both cameras - D70 and E1

    Yes, I did. But I own the E-1.

    >The E1 has also a good picture quality, but much more noise at high iso levels (800, 1600)
    >Also I think the camera is too expensive and doesn't offer a lot of lenses.

    I use an E-1 and three lenses for a variety of paid work, and find it
    offers outstanding picture quality for a 5MP camera. As it is a very
    robust and (sp far completely) reliable pro quality camera body, I
    don't think it is expensive compared to its pro quality competition.

    However, if you are prepared to accept a consumer-grade standard of
    build and feature set, I agree that there are cheaper alternatives.

    As for lenses, the Zuiko range for the E-1 is superb. I can also use
    most OM Zuiko lenses with an adapter.

    I was interested to know whether the Chasseur d'Images report included
    the Olympus E-1.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    > > Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

    very different from what people report who have actually been to the
    factory.....

    kosh
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    "TP" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
    > performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
    > the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.

    The D100 is probably going to be replaced at Photokina, the D70 is a great
    camera. But I can see a D200(?) and a D2X being released at Photokina 2004
    this Fall.

    http://www.photokina.de
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    "Darrell Larose" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

    > "TP" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
    > > performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
    > > the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.
    > >
    > The D100 is probably going to be replaced at Photokina, the D70 is a great
    > camera. But I can see a D200(?) and a D2X being released at Photokina 2004
    > this Fall.
    >
    > http://www.photokina.de

    Lord knows, Nikon has to do something to keep up with the Canon 10D (which
    also may be replaced) and 1D mkII. The D70 certainly took some wind out of
    the sails of the RebelD, at least technologically speaking...

    --
    Skip Middleton
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

    Before some questions, I'll just summarise the noise figures that have so
    far been provided:

    ISO100 ISO200 ISO400 ISO800 ISO1600 ISO3200
    Olympus E1 43dB 42dB 40dB 39dB 34dB 30dB
    Sigma SD10 42dB
    Nikon D70 ---- 42dB 41dB 39dB 37dB
    Canon 1D Mk II 50dB

    Were the above noise figures obtained by using a grey card?

    If not, what color was used?

    Was more than one color used for the noise tests?

    As there may be different noise levels associated with different colors, it
    would be interesting to see a matrix of noise figures for something like
    the GretagMacbeth ColorChecker. These figures could then be averaged and a
    standard deviation calculated to see how much variation there was in the
    noise level from one color to another. But then again, it might not show
    anything much beyond the single noise figure.

    --
    Witold.

Cameras Marketing Canon Peripherals