Why Do Videos Download intead of streaming

Tags:
  • Video
  • Download
  • Streaming
  • Windows XP
April 21, 2004 9:46:57 PM

Whenever I try to view some MPG's on line or other
videos, the file will download and open instead in
opening up a viewer to watch.
For example I went to the file association and changed
the mpg to open with Microsofts Video Player instead of
Realplayer.

But whatever i use, the file will download and start
instead of streaming.
All the settings in Explorer have the multimedia section
are checked to play Videos in pages.

Can anyone help?

Thank you
David

More about : videos download intead streaming

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:09:40 AM

I may be wrong, but as far as I am aware this is normal
behaviour for MPG AVI and MOV files as they are not able
to be streamed.

The most common file formats that can be streamed are
ASF, WMV & RA/RAM

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:14:44 AM

Correction:
I just realised that MOV files can be streamed with
quicktime.

Therefore you can stream ASF, WMV, RA/RAM and MOV but not
MPG or AVI files.

Sorry for my earlier mistake.

April 22, 2004 9:13:12 AM

I am sorry but I have to Disagree.

My systam at work clicks on an MPG and Explorer opens up
and plays without downloading the file....

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:35:04 PM

Well then, look in the file asociation on the
PC at work. You have the solution yourself.

!