Help - hard drive problem

Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc, and
put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i re-installed
xp).

When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old pc. the
option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format the
drive

i've tried using Restorer2000 Professional and this app see's all the data,
but when i try to recover to my other hard drive, it doesnt recover full
files, and i get error code 801

this is what customer services at bitmart said :-

Dear Customer,

"Can't read file to be recovered completely (801)" means that the file
being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on. That means
either severe data loss or that you use wrong Recognized partition to
recover the file. Please explore all such partitions.

The success of recovery depends on many factors and there is no way to
determine in advance whether a file can be recovered to its original
form other than to retrieve it and try to open with appropriate
application. Presence of file name (even proper sized) in the listing
does not imply 100 success of recovery.

If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
chances that some data still can be recovered.

Best regards,

Support Team
BitMart Inc.
support@bitmart.net

The drive only has i partition

Someone

"djblade" <djblade@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc, and
> put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i
re-installed
> xp).
>
> When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
> available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old pc.
the
> option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format the
> drive
>
> i've tried using Restorer2000 Professional and this app see's all the
data,
> but when i try to recover to my other hard drive, it doesnt recover full
> files, and i get error code 801
>
> this is what customer services at bitmart said :-

> Dear Customer,
>
> "Can't read file to be recovered completely (801)" means that the file
> being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on. That means
> either severe data loss or that you use wrong Recognized partition to
> recover the file. Please explore all such partitions.
>
> The success of recovery depends on many factors and there is no way to
> determine in advance whether a file can be recovered to its original
> form other than to retrieve it and try to open with appropriate
> application. Presence of file name (even proper sized) in the listing
> does not imply 100 success of recovery.
>
> If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
> greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
> involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
> corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
> Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
> some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
> inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
> restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
> chances that some data still can be recovered.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Support Team
> BitMart Inc.
> support@bitmart.net

> The drive only has i partition

Good suggestion by the other poster "Bob" (networking).
If that does not work - clone the failed hdd and attempt recovery from the
clone.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 07:50:04 +0000 (UTC), "djblade"
<djblade@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc, and
>put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i re-installed
>xp).

>When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
>available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old pc. the
>option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format the
>drive

Put the drive back in the old machine and network it. You should be
able to get the data over the network connection.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

Government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases:
* If it moves, tax it.
* If it keeps moving, regulate it.
* If it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan

this is now the only pc in the house.....

"someone" <someone@spamfree.com> wrote in message

> "djblade" <djblade@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc,
and
> > put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i
> re-installed
> > xp).
> >
> > When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
> > available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old pc.
> the
> > option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format the
> > drive
> >
> > i've tried using Restorer2000 Professional and this app see's all the
> data,
> > but when i try to recover to my other hard drive, it doesnt recover full
> > files, and i get error code 801
> >
> > this is what customer services at bitmart said :-

> > Dear Customer,
> >
> > "Can't read file to be recovered completely (801)" means that the file
> > being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on. That means
> > either severe data loss or that you use wrong Recognized partition to
> > recover the file. Please explore all such partitions.
> >
> > The success of recovery depends on many factors and there is no way to
> > determine in advance whether a file can be recovered to its original
> > form other than to retrieve it and try to open with appropriate
> > application. Presence of file name (even proper sized) in the listing
> > does not imply 100 success of recovery.
> >
> > If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
> > greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
> > involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
> > corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
> > Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
> > some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
> > inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
> > restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
> > chances that some data still can be recovered.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Support Team
> > BitMart Inc.
> > support@bitmart.net

> > The drive only has i partition
> >

> Good suggestion by the other poster "Bob" (networking).
> If that does not work - clone the failed hdd and attempt recovery from the
> clone.

just cloned the drive, and now i have two drives that say 0 bytes used - 0
bytes available, do i want to format now - yes/no

> [...]

> > does not imply 100 success of recovery.
> >
> > If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
> > greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
> > involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
> > corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
> > Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
> > some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
> > inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
> > restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
> > chances that some data still can be recovered.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Support Team
> > BitMart Inc.
> > support@bitmart.net

> > The drive only has i partition
> >

> Good suggestion by the other poster "Bob" (networking).

Then you are as clueless as "Bob" is.

> If that does not work - clone the failed hdd and attempt recovery from the
> clone.

As if that would change anything in regard to
"the file being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on"

more help needed guys..

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "someone" <someone@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> > "djblade" <djblade@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc,
and
> > > put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i
re-installed
> > > xp).
> > >
> > > When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
> > > available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old
pc. the
> > > option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format
the
> > > drive
> > >
> > > i've tried using Restorer2000 Professional and this app see's all the
data,
> > > but when i try to recover to my other hard drive, it doesnt recover
full
> > > files, and i get error code 801
> > >
> > > this is what customer services at bitmart said :-

> > > Dear Customer,
> > >
> > > "Can't read file to be recovered completely (801)" means that the file
> > > being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on. That means
> > > either severe data loss or that you use wrong Recognized partition to
> > > recover the file. Please explore all such partitions.
> > >
> > > The success of recovery depends on many factors and there is no way to
> > > determine in advance whether a file can be recovered to its original
> > > form other than to retrieve it and try to open with appropriate
> > > application. Presence of file name (even proper sized) in the listing
> > > does not imply 100 success of recovery.
> > >
> > > If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
> > > greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
> > > involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
> > > corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
> > > Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
> > > some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
> > > inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
> > > restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
> > > chances that some data still can be recovered.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Support Team
> > > BitMart Inc.
> > > support@bitmart.net

> > > The drive only has i partition
> > >

> > Good suggestion by the other poster "Bob" (networking).
>
> Then you are as clueless as "Bob" is.
>
> > If that does not work - clone the failed hdd and attempt recovery from
the
> > clone.
>
> As if that would change anything in regard to
> "the file being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on"

----

This is what restore 2000 reports after scanning disc :-

MFT File [File Id : 1682] Fixup 1 is 0xd5b5, but should be 0x1
MFT File [File Id : 1682] Fixup 2 is 0xd5b5, but should be 0x1

Someone

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "someone" <someone@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> > "djblade" <djblade@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, i've bought myself a new motherboard, and pc case, built a new pc,
and
> > > put my 2 hard drives from the old pc in (just put 1 in whilst i
re-installed
> > > xp).
> > >
> > > When i put the second hard drive in, it shows 0 bytes used, 0 bytes
> > > available, yet this drive was full of data when removed from the old
pc. the
> > > option i get is - the drive is not formatted - do you want to format
the
> > > drive
> > >
> > > i've tried using Restorer2000 Professional and this app see's all the
data,
> > > but when i try to recover to my other hard drive, it doesnt recover
full
> > > files, and i get error code 801
> > >
> > > this is what customer services at bitmart said :-

> > > Dear Customer,
> > >
> > > "Can't read file to be recovered completely (801)" means that the file
> > > being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on. That means
> > > either severe data loss or that you use wrong Recognized partition to
> > > recover the file. Please explore all such partitions.
> > >
> > > The success of recovery depends on many factors and there is no way to
> > > determine in advance whether a file can be recovered to its original
> > > form other than to retrieve it and try to open with appropriate
> > > application. Presence of file name (even proper sized) in the listing
> > > does not imply 100 success of recovery.
> > >
> > > If the file system has been damaged the possibility of recovery is
> > > greatly affected by what parts of the drive and file system were
> > > involved in the damage. In case if only the file's data has been
> > > corrupted then there will not be problems with the whole system.
> > > Therefore if there is a problem with the file system it means that
> > > some important auxiliary data were damaged. Thus it is almost
> > > inevitable that some data, or in other words files, cannot be
> > > restored, these files are lost forever. However, there are always
> > > chances that some data still can be recovered.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Support Team
> > > BitMart Inc.
> > > support@bitmart.net

> > > The drive only has i partition
> > >

> > Good suggestion by the other poster "Bob" (networking).
>
> Then you are as clueless as "Bob" is.
>
> > If that does not work - clone the failed hdd and attempt recovery from
the
> > clone.
>
> As if that would change anything in regard to
> "the file being recovered extends beyond the partition it resides on"

Your response is notably lacking a solution.
Would you suggest the OP works directly on his original hdd and not a clone?