Seek info about boot sequence

I have an installation of Win2K which has been doing just fine until the
other day when it decided to not boot. On post, the disk gets to the
point of having listed the PCI assignments, then hangs at a blinking
cursor. The disk is recognized as the primary disk on POST and there
are no otherr disks in the system.

If I use a floppy that contains my boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
files, the system boots. What I am wondering is whether there is
something that may have reset itself in the BIOS that I should check or
whether a boot sector on a disk can die and still the disk will be
functional once that is bypassed. (I have already gone through recovery
procedures to rebuild the boot sector a few times with the fixboot command.

Thanks
Ken K

"Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
> I have an installation of Win2K which has been doing just fine until the
> other day when it decided to not boot. On post, the disk gets to the
> point of having listed the PCI assignments, then hangs at a blinking
> cursor. The disk is recognized as the primary disk on POST and there
> are no otherr disks in the system.
>
> If I use a floppy that contains my boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
> files, the system boots. What I am wondering is whether there is
> something that may have reset itself in the BIOS that I should check or
> whether a boot sector on a disk can die and still the disk will be
> functional once that is bypassed. (I have already gone through recovery
> procedures to rebuild the boot sector a few times with the fixboot
command.

> Thanks
> Ken K

What is the error message ?
Have a look at the MBR and its partition table. Also there's a command
fixmbr.

fc/b ntldr and ntdetect between HD and FD to check for HD corruption.