SD Cards - 1 Question

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camera, but just have 1 quick and probably
naive question

* Can any make of SD Card be used in any camera?

Thanks in Advance

Alex
4 answers Last reply
More about cards question

    "alexmccann" <alexmccann@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camera, but just have 1 quick and
    probably
    > naive question
    >
    > * Can any make of SD Card be used in any camera?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Alex

    Supposedly, yes, but in reality (at least in my experience) no. I've got a
    Pentax Optio S which is a brilliant little camera but it doesn't seem to
    like SanDisk SD cards - and they're supposedly one of the best makes.

    The camera came with a free 128Mb SanDisk card but it didn't work. I had a
    Panasonic card from my previous camera and tried that and it worked
    beautifully so I returned the SanDisk to the shop. They sent a new one which
    also didn't work. Then a third one was tried with the same result, so the
    shop sourced a Panasonic one for me and it's brilliant.

    Mogweed.

    alexmccann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camera, but just have 1 quick and probably
    > naive question
    >
    > * Can any make of SD Card be used in any camera?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Alex

    NO
    most digital cameras do not take sd cards, they use compact flash and
    micro drives, the sd card is a bit of a fuji/sigma thing that has found
    its way in to a few limited cameras, it is a dead duck, use cf cards !

    I have never had any problem swapping many different brands of SD, in
    formats from 16MB to 512MB, cards between 3 cameras, two Pocket PCs and a
    USB dongle.

    Compact Flash is more popular as the size is about 10 x what the SD is and
    provides for more hardware gadgets at the moment but as technology
    progresses the CF flash format may disappear with it giant size and weight.

    "alexmccann" <alexmccann@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camera, but just have 1 quick and
    probably
    > naive question
    >
    > * Can any make of SD Card be used in any camera?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Alex

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:57:53 GMT, "alexmccann"
    <alexmccann@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camera, but just have 1 quick and probably
    >naive question
    >
    >* Can any make of SD Card be used in any camera?

    Yes. Any camera that takes SD cards.

    The HP cameras like SD 256mb cards just fine. Never a problem with
    any brand I've tried. When you switch between cameras you may have to
    reformat.

    But I'm not sure about the newer cards marked 'high speed'. I would
    check that out very carefully.

    Pj

    >Thanks in Advance
    >
    >Alex