overheating hard disk

Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in the
CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's generally
the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back for
whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the HD
anyway....
thanks
alex

"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
> Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in
the
> CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's
generally
> the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back
for
> whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the
HD
> anyway....
> thanks
> alex

Can you feel hot air from rear of PSU? If not, check PSU fan is running,
open case and check for fluff build up at front where air should be
entering.

Mike.

---

Michael Hawes wrote:

> "Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in
>
> the
>
>>CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's
>
> generally
>
>>the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back
>
> for
>
>>whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the
>
> HD
>
>>anyway....
>>thanks
>>alex
>>

> Can you feel hot air from rear of PSU? If not, check PSU fan is running,
> open case and check for fluff build up at front where air should be
> entering.
>
> Mike.

Yup, there is air coming from the rear of the PSU, and no fluff at the intake.
I spoke to someone that confirmed to me that the PSU fan is there to cool only
the PSU, and is not supposed to act as a case cooler.

I'm just mystified as to why my hard disks are getting so hot. I've put in a
new HD and it also is getting very hot. (It got to 60 degrees C in about an
hour or less of the pc being on!) Could it be something to do with the power
being suplpied to the HD being incorrect somehow (but still within the limits
of what the HD can use, but causing overheating?)

alex

Alex Hunsley wrote:

> Michael Hawes wrote:
>
>> "Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs
>>>in
>>
>> the
>>
>>>CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's
>>
>> generally
>>
>>>the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back
>>
>> for
>>
>>>whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with
>>>the
>>
>> HD
>>
>>>anyway....
>>>thanks
>>>alex
>>>

>> Can you feel hot air from rear of PSU? If not, check PSU fan is running,
>> open case and check for fluff build up at front where air should be
>> entering.
>>
>> Mike.
>>

> Yup, there is air coming from the rear of the PSU, and no fluff at the
> intake.

How hot is the air coming out of the PSU? The hotter it is the more heat
it's removing.

> I spoke to someone that confirmed to me that the PSU fan is there
> to cool only the PSU, and is not supposed to act as a case cooler.

Was that someone an employee of the manufacturing company that makes the
power supply? Many of the power supplies on the market today are made with
excess fan capacity with the intent that they be used to cool the case.
And many machines have only one fan, the one in the power supply, that is
there to provide all needed cooling.

> I'm just mystified as to why my hard disks are getting so hot. I've put in
> a new HD and it also is getting very hot. (It got to 60 degrees C in about
> an hour or less of the pc being on!) Could it be something to do with the
> power being suplpied to the HD being incorrect somehow (but still within
> the limits of what the HD can use, but causing overheating?)

Are the disks in the airflow path?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message news:<10cb3315h22a802@corp.supernews.com>...
> Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in the
> CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's generally
> the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back for
> whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the HD
> anyway....
> thanks
> alex

It depends on the ambient temperature quite a bit. A few degress less
in room tempature can make a big difference.

Condider taking off the cover.

Is this a new machine? Old machine but new problem?

V-man wrote:

> Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message news:<10cb3315h22a802@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in the
>>CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's generally
>>the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back for
>>whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the HD
>>anyway....
>>thanks
>>alex
>

> It depends on the ambient temperature quite a bit. A few degress less
> in room tempature can make a big difference.
>
> Condider taking off the cover.
>
> Is this a new machine? Old machine but new problem?

Old machine, new problem. I had an 80gb SATAV 7200 rpm drive in it for 6months,
and only recently did I notice things getting hot... (like the fact that CDs
would come out of the CD rom drive quite warm - this alerted me to the whole
problem in the first place!)

alex

V-man wrote:
> Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message news:<10cb3315h22a802@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Things in my PC have been getting very hot (e.g. har disks and even CDs in the
>>CD drive!). Am I correct in thinking that when things overheat it's generally
>>the case that the PSU on my PC is not shifting enough air out of the back for
>>whatever reason? The CPU fan is fine and wouldn't have much to do with the HD
>>anyway....
>>thanks
>>alex
>

> It depends on the ambient temperature quite a bit. A few degress less
> in room tempature can make a big difference.

Now that you mention it, the HD is about 6 months old, so I got it in winter,
when it was cooler... it may be that summer has tipped the temperature over the
edge of acceptabaility, hence the overheating problems!

alex