Sign in with
Your question

Raid Drivers for windows 7 ???

Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2010 2:48:59 PM

I have an ASUS a8n-sli deluxe and I am trying to install RAID 0 pair of older WD Raptors and windows 7.

Everytime I try to install windows it says I can not install to this drive.

ASUS does not list any Windows 7 drivers on its support site for this older board.

This is my old pc I decided to put back together just to run movies and music on the projector and entertainment system in the room next to my office.

Any help is greatly apreaciated.

I need to put on 3.5inch and I don't even have a floppy drive on my main X48 based system:( 

So I booted windows without raid onto only one drive for now.

I want to make the floppy then reinstall with the RAID set up.

HELP >?????

More about : raid drivers windows

December 16, 2010 4:50:11 PM

That MOBO uses the nVidia nForce 4 SLI chipset. That chipset does support Raid 0 using SATA drives.

As you have discovered, there isn't nForce4 chipset "official support" for Windows 7. You will likely need to find a motherboard with a more recent chipset as there are many issues with most of the open-source legacy drivers for chipsets.
m
l
December 16, 2010 5:25:17 PM

Did you set up Raid before Windows install? Verify that raid was functioning?
Windows should see a raid 0 config. as one drive.
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
December 16, 2010 6:38:31 PM

If you are just running video and music, why the need for RAID 0 at all?
m
l
December 16, 2010 9:00:14 PM

jockey said:
Did you set up Raid before Windows install? Verify that raid was functioning?
Windows should see a raid 0 config. as one drive.

Yes I have had raid running on this pc with these exact drives before.

It does show as one drive.

the nvidia chip I can enter setup from F10 in bios and build array

the silicon chip I can enter setup with F4 from bios and build array

I have tried both the 250 gig sata WD drives... and the two 150gig Raptors on both chips.

Both the raptors and the WD 250gig 7200rpm drives do not show up at all on the silicon chip. When I hit any key to boot from CD to clean install windows 7 64bit at the install screen where you can format drives and choose drives to install too.. I see an old 40gig IDE drive I have installed.. just cause I have it. And the RAID array I built on the NVideo chip with SATA ports 1 and 2.

It does not matter if I switch the wires and put the pair of raptors or the pair of normal drives... it sees only the nvidia chip array.

So I tried to install to a RAID0 array on the nvidia chip to both pairs of drives and I get the same message.

I can delete paritions... create paritions... and I can format the raid array.

But when I click "next" to install it says windows can not install see set up log. But there is no message or set up log ?????

I am at a total loss and I have been into the BIOS like 100 times changing stuff and making sure the proper things are enabled.

WTF????
m
l
December 16, 2010 9:07:38 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you are just running video and music, why the need for RAID 0 at all?

not only can I make drive twice as big (I have two identical raptors that run at 10k rpm but only are 150 gig each)

but RAID 0 is faster too
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2010 1:41:46 PM

Mfusick said:
not only can I make drive twice as big (I have two identical raptors that run at 10k rpm but only are 150 gig each)

but RAID 0 is faster too

Normally I would say baloney to RAID being faster, especially for your needs, but with those old drives, and that slow, junky nForce chipset, you are probably right about RAID being an improvement. On some boards there is an option in the BIOS to make an array bootable, or use it as storage only. Do you have that option and is it set correctly?
m
l
!