Extended partition problem

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Some screenshots from Ranish partition manager:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/muhaha1981/

I have manually converted the only primary partition on second disk to
extended partition.
Can anyone suggest why this partition works with FreeDOS and Windows XP, but
errors out from DIR command in MS-DOS (Invalid media type reading drive E) ?

Drives are currently setup as follows:
disk0: primary C, extended D
disk1: extended E

?
2 answers Last reply
More about extended partition problem
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:39:12 UTC, "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote:

    > Some screenshots from Ranish partition manager:
    > http://members.lycos.co.uk/muhaha1981/
    >
    > I have manually converted the only primary partition on second disk to
    > extended partition.

    Yes, and the structure conforms to the MSDN layout you also show, and
    in
    theory is a valid setup.

    However, many systems require partitions and partition-tables to be
    ALIGNED
    on cylinder/track boundaries and yours is not.

    Using standard alignment, the extended partition would start at CHS
    "1 0 1"
    while yours is at "0 1 63" and the logical inside would start at CHS
    "1 1 1"
    while yours is at "0 1 1".

    So the extended partition is NOT cylinder aligned.

    > Can anyone suggest why this partition works with FreeDOS and Windows XP, but

    These don't care about cylinder alignment.

    > errors out from DIR command in MS-DOS (Invalid media type reading drive E) ?

    These probably mis-interprets the partition-tables, expecting cylinder
    alignment.

    > Drives are currently setup as follows:
    > disk0: primary C, extended D
    > disk1: extended E

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage (More info?)

    Thanks, that's just what testmbr.exe reported but since i don't have any
    spare cylinders before 1 0 1 i've now decided to forfeit the efforts and go
    the easy route (partition magic)...

    "Jan van Wijk" <jvw.no.spam@dfsee.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:39:12 UTC, "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote:
    >
    > > Some screenshots from Ranish partition manager:
    > > http://members.lycos.co.uk/muhaha1981/
    > >
    > > I have manually converted the only primary partition on second disk to
    > > extended partition.
    >
    > Yes, and the structure conforms to the MSDN layout you also show, and
    > in
    > theory is a valid setup.
    >
    > However, many systems require partitions and partition-tables to be
    > ALIGNED
    > on cylinder/track boundaries and yours is not.
    >
    > Using standard alignment, the extended partition would start at CHS
    > "1 0 1"
    > while yours is at "0 1 63" and the logical inside would start at CHS
    > "1 1 1"
    > while yours is at "0 1 1".
    >
    > So the extended partition is NOT cylinder aligned.
    >
    > > Can anyone suggest why this partition works with FreeDOS and Windows XP,
    but

    > These don't care about cylinder alignment.
    >
    > > errors out from DIR command in MS-DOS (Invalid media type reading drive
    E) ?

    > These probably mis-interprets the partition-tables, expecting cylinder
    > alignment.
    >
    > > Drives are currently setup as follows:
    > > disk0: primary C, extended D
    > > disk1: extended E