Dan
1 answer Last reply
More about enclosure problem

    On 2004-06-09 18:23, Dan wrote:
    > I just bought an external USB 2.0 enclosure and a 2.5" 60GB HD, it
    > worked perfectly with Win XP Home. I transferred all the useful
    > information to a 60GB HD from my old 20GB laptop drive. Took out the
    > 20GB and replaced it with a new 60GB, reinstalled win xp home, and I'm
    > now trying to use the old 20GB drive with my enclosure, but XP refuses
    > to install a "USB Mass Storage Device", although it appears in USB
    > Root Hub and draws a documented 96 mA. Also the drive will not appear
    > in the System->Admin Tools->Comp. Managment->Disk Managment, so cannot
    > format.
    > 1. The problem as I suspect it could be with the fact that my old HD
    > was bootable and now needs to be reformatted?
    > 2. Or windows cannot find a driver for the external drive?
    >
    > Any help would be appriciated.
    >
    > KRegards,
    > Dan

    Does it have a strap for 'master' set? I had some problems with slave
    drives not working in ext. USB enclosures. (Depends on how the drive is
    queried, either directly or through the master, Phoenix bios types does
    the latter.)

    If this was an IBM/Hitachi Travelstar, then maybe your laptop bios had a
    drivelock password enabled on the disk; that could need removing.

    my .2 SEK
    /Rolf

Enclosure HD Windows XP Storage