Lacie Firewire 800 drives work w/PC?

Mike

Splendid

I'm looking to buy a Lacie 500GB external drive. Lacie offer two 500GB
models, the big disk extreme and the big disk triple interface.
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10024 The former is said to be
50% faster than the later.

I've read people saying firewire 800 PCI cards will not work correctly in
32bit PCI slots, therefore how can the "Lacie big disk extreme 500GB" work
in a PC? Lacie also offer a Firewire 800 PCI card for PC. System
requirements in the manual for the hard drive state:

Pentium III or higher with a firewire 800 1394b card.

Can someone please set the record straight? will this drive
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10123 run perfectly on a
windows XP machine with a firewire 800 card? 23bit PCI slot?

"mike" <mike_no_email@noemailhotmail.com> wrote in message news:caaru0$3n2$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
> I'm looking to buy a Lacie 500GB external drive. Lacie offer two 500GB
> models, the big disk extreme and the big disk triple interface.
> http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10024 The former is said to
> be 50% faster than the later.
>
> I've read people saying firewire 800 PCI cards will not work correctly in
> 32bit PCI slots,

Ah, so when people say that then it obviously must be true and the people at
LaCie are obviously crooks.

> therefore how can the "Lacie big disk extreme 500GB" work in a PC?
> Lacie also offer a Firewire 800 PCI card for PC. System
> requirements in the manual for the hard drive state:
>
> Pentium III or higher with a firewire 800 1394b card.
>
> Can someone please set the record straight? will this drive
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10123 run perfectly on a
> windows XP machine with a firewire 800 card? 23bit PCI slot?

Nope. But it runs fine in a 32-bit slot.

And whether 32-bit is a limit depends on the number of channels on the
card and the number of peripherals used on them and whether they are
used simultaniously.