Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

To all the regs leaving

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:08:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

If you are going to leave that is really too bad. I wish you would stay.

BUT, if you do decide to leave, just leave. Why stick around and argue with
these guys. If you say you are going to do something, just do it, no real
need to announce with a ton of fanfare. You are making yourselves look worse
than the people you are complaining about.

More about : regs leaving

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:08:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Dom wrote:
> "Aopen" <aopen@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
> news:ufAZd.2$6f1.1@fe63.usenetserver.com...
> > If you are going to leave that is really too bad. I wish you would
stay.
> >
> > BUT, if you do decide to leave, just leave. Why stick around and
argue
> with
> > these guys. If you say you are going to do something, just do it,
no real
> > need to announce with a ton of fanfare. You are making yourselves
look
> worse
> > than the people you are complaining about.
> >
> >
> >
>
> Here here -
>
> The only thing that makes a person a REG is posting loads of drivel
and
> shite. I mean it's not as if the REGs have posted any thing useful is
it?
> And if The REG's have killfiled half the group then they can only be
getting
> decent stuff through right? They wont see all this shite so what are
they
> complaining about?
>
> Domestos

Disagree with your definition of a reg. To me it is someone who tunes
in frequently and regularly, regardless of the "quality" of their
input. In my experience, only those with something to say and a genuine
interest in the subject stick it out long enough to become recognised
as a "Reg".

Also, because they've been posting here for a while, the Regs get to
know each other a bit, and also some of the current crowd. So the
easiest way to say goodbye (and advise those who are interested of
their departure) is to post a farewell note.
But yes, if you're going, go. It only weakens the point you are making
if you hang around afterwards.
March 15, 2005 4:18:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Aopen" <aopen@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
news:ufAZd.2$6f1.1@fe63.usenetserver.com...
> If you are going to leave that is really too bad. I wish you would stay.
>
> BUT, if you do decide to leave, just leave. Why stick around and argue
with
> these guys. If you say you are going to do something, just do it, no real
> need to announce with a ton of fanfare. You are making yourselves look
worse
> than the people you are complaining about.
>
>
>

Here here -

The only thing that makes a person a REG is posting loads of drivel and
shite. I mean it's not as if the REGs have posted any thing useful is it?
And if The REG's have killfiled half the group then they can only be getting
decent stuff through right? They wont see all this shite so what are they
complaining about?

Domestos
Related resources
March 15, 2005 5:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Aopen" <aopen@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
news:ufAZd.2$6f1.1@fe63.usenetserver.com...
> If you are going to leave that is really too bad. I wish you would stay.
>
> BUT, if you do decide to leave, just leave. Why stick around and argue
> with these guys. If you say you are going to do something, just do it, no
> real need to announce with a ton of fanfare. You are making yourselves
> look worse than the people you are complaining about.

How about considering the concepts that:

a) They might be letting their mates know that they're going, and where they
may be contacted

b) They're a little pissed off and are making use of Usenet's "right" to
free speech

?

And no, they're not making themselves look worse than anyone... why the hell
shouldn't they be able to say "I'm sick of the way this place is these days,
anyone agree?"
March 15, 2005 11:45:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Lief wrote:

> What business is it of yours what is posted or done on a public unmoderated
> NG? Thats right, none, so once again, gofuk.

Just stating my opinion, you git. Take it or leave it. :) 
March 16, 2005 1:03:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

sittingduck wrote:
>> And no, they're not making themselves look worse than anyone... why the
>> hell shouldn't they be able to say "I'm sick of the way this place is
>> these days, anyone agree?"
>How about the concept that they are admitting defeat?

What was the contest? Who could post the most drivel and drive others out?
Oh how glorious the victory must feel.

- --
Frode

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQjdNreXlGBWTt1afEQL0LACg5M8dWKm4hPuayRHFumtg1E4USpIAoJRB
eqk9KziUtIbY+54lLNs1kNof
=UKJb
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:vaje31lbvu8rgghov0vr6dffrvhf6rlrii@4ax.com
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> sittingduck wrote:
>>> And no, they're not making themselves look worse than anyone... why
>>> the hell shouldn't they be able to say "I'm sick of the way this
>>> place is these days, anyone agree?"
>> How about the concept that they are admitting defeat?
>
> What was the contest? Who could post the most drivel and drive others
> out? Oh how glorious the victory must feel.
>
> - --
> Frode
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBQjdNreXlGBWTt1afEQL0LACg5M8dWKm4hPuayRHFumtg1E4USpIAoJRB
> eqk9KziUtIbY+54lLNs1kNof
> =UKJb
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Heya Frode, good to see ya poppin up still :) 

People come and go in the ng's all the time. Pop up in different
places, different times. It's all good really.
McG.
March 16, 2005 3:32:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

McGrandpa wrote:

> People come and go in the ng's all the time. Pop up in different
> places, different times. It's all good really.

Hey! Quit being reasonable, I'm trying to piss people off here. :) 
March 16, 2005 3:52:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

sittingduck wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>
>>People come and go in the ng's all the time. Pop up in different
>>places, different times. It's all good really.
>
>
> Hey! Quit being reasonable, I'm trying to piss people off here. :) 

Is it working?

Nature of NG's sittingduck, folk pop out for a packet of cigarettes and
dont come back for 6months. Always nice to see them when they do and
catch up with them on what they've been doing, games they've played etc.

NG wont die because of it - it will just be different for a while.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 6:13:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
news:Xns961AA891747D0duckrulestheuniverse@news.easynews.com
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> People come and go in the ng's all the time. Pop up in different
>> places, different times. It's all good really.
>
> Hey! Quit being reasonable, I'm trying to piss people off here. :) 

LOL! You go ahead... I'll hide and watch :) 
McG.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 6:18:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1110934065.8450.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net
> sittingduck wrote:
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>>
>>> People come and go in the ng's all the time. Pop up in different
>>> places, different times. It's all good really.
>>
>>
>> Hey! Quit being reasonable, I'm trying to piss people off here. :) 
>
> Is it working?
>
> Nature of NG's sittingduck, folk pop out for a packet of cigarettes
> and dont come back for 6months. Always nice to see them when they do
> and catch up with them on what they've been doing, games they've
> played etc.
> NG wont die because of it - it will just be different for a while.

Yup. Been like this from its beginning. Yeah, I'm a 'Reg', and I
ain't leaving :)  Did ya watch the movie "Contact"? In the bit where
they've decoded the ancient television signal, there were all sorts of
bits n pieces of programming. While I was watching that part it just
struck me that these ng's are a lot like that :)  And SO...the mish-mash
plays on! And on.... and on...
McG.
March 16, 2005 9:09:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Shawk wrote:

> Is it working?
>
> Nature of NG's sittingduck, folk pop out for a packet of cigarettes and
> dont come back for 6months. Always nice to see them when they do and
> catch up with them on what they've been doing, games they've played etc.
>
> NG wont die because of it - it will just be different for a while.

Yeah, for sure. I was able to twist a few people's panties right up into a
tight wad. <G>

Truth be told if newsgroups were nothing but on topic and no one ever acted
out, they would be BORING. Getting someone to utter a huge string of
obscenities is great sport.
March 18, 2005 2:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

McGrandpa wrote:
>>>> And no, they're not making themselves look worse than anyone... why
>>>> the hell shouldn't they be able to say "I'm sick of the way this
>>>> place is these days, anyone agree?"
>>> How about the concept that they are admitting defeat?
>> What was the contest? Who could post the most drivel and drive others
>> out? Oh how glorious the victory must feel.
>Heya Frode, good to see ya poppin up still :) 

A dangerous business it is, this popping up. Seeing as the group's more
troll infested than a mythological norwegian forest.

(I never did leave, but sifting through this garbage became too much of a
chore so if I ever catch a decent thread nowadays it's purely down to the
luck of the draw)

Oooh, I just (re)discovered Window Blinds and DesktopX btw. Recommended to
all that are bored with plain-ol' Windows.


- --
Frode

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQjqoA+XlGBWTt1afEQJJBgCfTBktKoRTAatgTvNbMy1hNFwF4rYAoI0Z
w28ImaoLFut67Jx7SknqAyKA
=xAKh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:53:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:1j9l31to5ap5qsib8pc86299k8421od0lk@4ax.com
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>>> And no, they're not making themselves look worse than anyone...
>>>>> why the hell shouldn't they be able to say "I'm sick of the way
>>>>> this place is these days, anyone agree?"
>>>> How about the concept that they are admitting defeat?
>>> What was the contest? Who could post the most drivel and drive
>>> others out? Oh how glorious the victory must feel.
>> Heya Frode, good to see ya poppin up still :) 
>
> A dangerous business it is, this popping up. Seeing as the group's
> more troll infested than a mythological norwegian forest.
>
> (I never did leave, but sifting through this garbage became too much
> of a chore so if I ever catch a decent thread nowadays it's purely
> down to the luck of the draw)
>
> Oooh, I just (re)discovered Window Blinds and DesktopX btw.
> Recommended to all that are bored with plain-ol' Windows.
>
>
> - --
> Frode
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBQjqoA+XlGBWTt1afEQJJBgCfTBktKoRTAatgTvNbMy1hNFwF4rYAoI0Z
> w28ImaoLFut67Jx7SknqAyKA
> =xAKh
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Heh! I'll go look at them later. Playing with Linux on another box in
the other room :) 
Funny, both can see the router (BEFSR41), both have full access to the
net, the router sees both rigs and gives em LAN IP's, but neither sees
the other! LOL!
Well, that's something to play with.
Gonna go play the Substance mod in a bit :) 
McG.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:48:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4_I_d.10954$Ux.5789@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:1j9l31to5ap5qsib8pc86299k8421od0lk@4ax.com
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1

snippy snip

> Heh! I'll go look at them later. Playing with Linux on another box in
> the other room :) 
> Funny, both can see the router (BEFSR41), both have full access to the
> net, the router sees both rigs and gives em LAN IP's, but neither sees
> the other! LOL!
> Well, that's something to play with.
> Gonna go play the Substance mod in a bit :) 
> McG.
>
>
sure you've sorted users & permissions properly? its the sort of thing i
overlook

dr ratt
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:423b68af$0$32612$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4_I_d.10954$Ux.5789@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>> news:1j9l31to5ap5qsib8pc86299k8421od0lk@4ax.com
>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>> Hash: SHA1
>
> snippy snip
>
>> Heh! I'll go look at them later. Playing with Linux on another box
>> in the other room :) 
>> Funny, both can see the router (BEFSR41), both have full access to
>> the net, the router sees both rigs and gives em LAN IP's, but
>> neither sees the other! LOL!
>> Well, that's something to play with.
>> Gonna go play the Substance mod in a bit :) 
>> McG.
>>
>>
> sure you've sorted users & permissions properly? its the sort of
> thing i overlook
>
> dr ratt

Haven't taken a good look at any of that yet. Only just got the other
rig set up with Mandrake 10.1 and this one has XP Pro SP2 on it (windoze
firewall disabled, Zone Alarm Pro running on it).
I find it things aren't necessarily where I think they ought to be in
Mandrake/KDE either :)  One nice thing about this distro is that when
root is needed, it just asks for the root pass :)  Will check that
stuff in the Linux box, I know what it is in the XP box.
McG.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nVJ_d.11010$Ux.4224@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:423b68af$0$32612$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:4_I_d.10954$Ux.5789@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> >> "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> >> news:1j9l31to5ap5qsib8pc86299k8421od0lk@4ax.com
> >>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >>> Hash: SHA1
> >
> > snippy snip
> >
> >> Heh! I'll go look at them later. Playing with Linux on another box
> >> in the other room :) 
> >> Funny, both can see the router (BEFSR41), both have full access to
> >> the net, the router sees both rigs and gives em LAN IP's, but
> >> neither sees the other! LOL!
> >> Well, that's something to play with.
> >> Gonna go play the Substance mod in a bit :) 
> >> McG.
> >>
> >>
> > sure you've sorted users & permissions properly? its the sort of
> > thing i overlook
> >
> > dr ratt
>
> Haven't taken a good look at any of that yet. Only just got the other
> rig set up with Mandrake 10.1 and this one has XP Pro SP2 on it (windoze
> firewall disabled, Zone Alarm Pro running on it).
> I find it things aren't necessarily where I think they ought to be in
> Mandrake/KDE either :)  One nice thing about this distro is that when
> root is needed, it just asks for the root pass :)  Will check that
> stuff in the Linux box, I know what it is in the XP box.
> McG.
>
>

make sure you put the new ips into zone alarm's trusted zone

dr ratt
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:46:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:423c08b7$0$8745$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:nVJ_d.11010$Ux.4224@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:423b68af$0$32612$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:4_I_d.10954$Ux.5789@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>> "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>>>> news:1j9l31to5ap5qsib8pc86299k8421od0lk@4ax.com
>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>
>>> snippy snip
>>>
>>>> Heh! I'll go look at them later. Playing with Linux on another
>>>> box in the other room :) 
>>>> Funny, both can see the router (BEFSR41), both have full access to
>>>> the net, the router sees both rigs and gives em LAN IP's, but
>>>> neither sees the other! LOL!
>>>> Well, that's something to play with.
>>>> Gonna go play the Substance mod in a bit :) 
>>>> McG.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> sure you've sorted users & permissions properly? its the sort of
>>> thing i overlook
>>>
>>> dr ratt
>>
>> Haven't taken a good look at any of that yet. Only just got the
>> other rig set up with Mandrake 10.1 and this one has XP Pro SP2 on
>> it (windoze firewall disabled, Zone Alarm Pro running on it).
>> I find it things aren't necessarily where I think they ought to be in
>> Mandrake/KDE either :)  One nice thing about this distro is that when
>> root is needed, it just asks for the root pass :)  Will check that
>> stuff in the Linux box, I know what it is in the XP box.
>> McG.
>>
>>
>
> make sure you put the new ips into zone alarm's trusted zone
>
> dr ratt

Right. Still playing. It's interesting stuff. If it's not 'required'
for something, then it's not work. It can be a little adventure :) 
McG.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:01:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "McGrandpa"
warbled on about "To all the regs leaving" in alt.games.half-life <<=

> .... It's no
> different than the 'Tombies' in alt.games.tombraider drifting off for a
> while.

When I stepped outside to go for that walk I never said I'd be coming
back... ;) 

--
snark^ #gameplanet channel on the etg IRC network snark(at)
www.gameplanet.co.nz ICQ: 1471203 paradise(dot)net(dot)nz
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:27:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
news:17ss31tas0svhb190p6h8omhkc53o3la40@4ax.com
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "McGrandpa"
> warbled on about "To all the regs leaving" in alt.games.half-life <<=
>
>> .... It's no
>> different than the 'Tombies' in alt.games.tombraider drifting off
>> for a while.
>
> When I stepped outside to go for that walk I never said I'd be coming
> back... ;) 

Well, some of the folks over there miss ya dude. Me and another ol
Tombie were yakking, and we found it most ironic that the gaming-est
gamer we know now has something akin to The Dreamgame available....and
the gamer can't get BB to really enjoy it. :( 

Hey, what gorgeous lookin adventure games are in the works? Besides
Oblivion...
McG.
!