BIOS misidentifies new drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 13, 2004 4:20:44 PM

Hi - I installed a new Seagate 80 gb ATA drive on primary ide
controller, formatted it and installed Win2k. It boots and behaves
fine as long as it's the only HD installed. However, adding a Maxtor
80 gb as slave on the primary ide causes the system to return garbled
gibberish (rather than the seagate id)at master and 'none' at slave.
It id's the two CD-R drives on the secondary ide appropriately. Of
course the system won't boot from the HD.
Drive id is set at 'auto' in the bios setup and works fine when two
maxtor drives are installed on primary ide, or when the seagate is
alone.
I've double (triple) checked the jumpers, and flashed the bios, still
no joy.
Any pointers with this frustration will be warmly appreciated. Thanks
Steve
June 14, 2004 12:00:23 AM

stevec wrote:

> Hi - I installed a new Seagate 80 gb ATA drive on primary ide
> controller, formatted it and installed Win2k. It boots and behaves
> fine as long as it's the only HD installed. However, adding a Maxtor
> 80 gb as slave on the primary ide causes the system to return garbled
> gibberish (rather than the seagate id)at master and 'none' at slave.
> It id's the two CD-R drives on the secondary ide appropriately. Of
> course the system won't boot from the HD.
> Drive id is set at 'auto' in the bios setup and works fine when two
> maxtor drives are installed on primary ide, or when the seagate is
> alone.
> I've double (triple) checked the jumpers, and flashed the bios, still
> no joy.
> Any pointers with this frustration will be warmly appreciated. Thanks
> Steve

FWIW, I have seen something similar to that happen with a bad cable.

a b G Storage
June 14, 2004 1:14:59 AM

"stevec" <steve_crogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I installed a new Seagate 80 gb ATA drive on primary ide
> controller, formatted it and installed Win2k. It boots and behaves
> fine as long as it's the only HD installed. However, adding a Maxtor
> 80 gb as slave on the primary ide causes the system to return garbled
> gibberish (rather than the seagate id)at master and 'none' at slave.
> It id's the two CD-R drives on the secondary ide appropriately. Of
> course the system won't boot from the HD.
> Drive id is set at 'auto' in the bios setup and works fine when two
> maxtor drives are installed on primary ide, or when the seagate is
> alone.
> I've double (triple) checked the jumpers, and flashed the bios, still
> no joy.
> Any pointers with this frustration will be warmly appreciated. Thanks
> Steve

Most 80 conductor cables are Cable Select, both drives should be set to
the CS setting with the boot drive on the end connector.

Mike.

---
a b G Storage
June 15, 2004 3:07:49 AM

"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:40ccbb21$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com
> "stevec" <steve_crogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9d1c4973.0406131120.7477a53f@posting.google.com...
> > Hi - I installed a new Seagate 80 gb ATA drive on primary ide
> > controller, formatted it and installed Win2k. It boots and behaves
> > fine as long as it's the only HD installed. However, adding a Maxtor
> > 80 gb as slave on the primary ide causes the system to return garbled
> > gibberish (rather than the seagate id)at master and 'none' at slave.
> > It id's the two CD-R drives on the secondary ide appropriately.
> > Of course the system won't boot from the HD.
> > Drive id is set at 'auto' in the bios setup and works fine when two
> > maxtor drives are installed on primary ide, or when the seagate is alone.
> > I've double (triple) checked the jumpers, and flashed the bios, still no joy.
> > Any pointers with this frustration will be warmly appreciated.
> > Thanks Steve
>
> Most 80 conductor cables are Cable Select, both drives should be set to
> the CS setting with the boot drive on the end connector.

Nonsense.

!