Can I hide a directory ???

Is there any software available that can "hide" a directory. ??
I work in a business that runs 24/7 and the other shifts modify my data
files.
I cant put the data onto floppy as the files are to large.
Thanks for any replies

OS is Win 95

Pepe Duran wrote:

> OS is Win 95

Right-click on the directory and enable the "Hidden" checkbox ?

-WD

Thanks for the quick reply.

How do I "unhide" it when I get back to work. ???

Pepe Duran wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> How do I "unhide" it when I get back to work. ???

If you know the name of the hidden directory, you can just type it in
the address bar of Windows Explorer. It'll then be visible until you
close explorer.

Keep in mind that this might only dissuade the casual user. It's quite
easy to find hidden folders in windows. Depending on what info you
want to protect, and who you're protecting it from, you may want to
consider an encryption program like BestCrypt. With it, you can mount
your encrypted drive and you've now got a new drive letter. When you
unmount it, nobody can get at the contents.

-WD

peter

What would happen if other shift decide to delete your data files? Or spill
something inside that PC? Every business need data security and recovery. I
would get USB Flash Drive at least.

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> How do I "unhide" it when I get back to work. ???

Hidden directory's are viewable if the settings are correct.
I wouldnt unhide it, even if it's set to hidden you can still enter it and
it will work just fine.

Not really. You can make it "hidden" (a flag), but it
can still be seen with the right filemanager or the
option to "show all files".

Arno

Previously Pepe Duran <pepeduran533@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OS is Win 95

> "Pepe Duran" <pepeduran533@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any software available that can "hide" a directory. ??
>> I work in a business that runs 24/7 and the other shifts modify my data
>> files.
>> I cant put the data onto floppy as the files are to large.
>> Thanks for any replies

Unfortunately WIN95 DOESN'T support USB.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> What would happen if other shift decide to delete your data files? Or
spill
> something inside that PC? Every business need data security and recovery.
> would get USB Flash Drive at least.
> "Pepe Duran" <pepeduran533@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any software available that can "hide" a directory. ??
> > I work in a business that runs 24/7 and the other shifts modify my data
> > files.
> > I cant put the data onto floppy as the files are to large.
> > Thanks for any replies

peter

Microsoft Windows 95B has some USB support. There is USBSUPP.EXE to further
improve that support. Better yet, you can upgrade to Windows 98 SE to get
decent USB handling. If you have more PC power, you should go to Windows
2000 or XP. That will improve data security too.

Pepe Duran wrote:

> Is there any software available that can "hide" a directory. ??
> I work in a business that runs 24/7 and the other shifts modify my
> data files.
> I cant put the data onto floppy as the files are to large.
> Thanks for any replies

Well, there are password encrytion programs out there that should do it.

However, there is one "trick" I've used in the past that, while not as
secure as encryption, works pretty well in keeping all but the most savy
of users from accessing your directory... if you're willing to do some
extra work. This "trick" works on all versions of Windows up to WinME.
It may work on the NT variety of Windows too (W2k, XP etc.), but I
haven't tried it!

Seems that the Windows GUI has troubles recognizing any file/folder name
that contains any ascii character with a value greater that 127. DOS's
command interpreter (either pure DOS or a DOS box) has no such problem.

As an example, I'll use a DOS box via "DOS Here" power toys. You can
also use "MS-DOS Prompt" available in the start menu. This will allow
you to use long file names... as opposed to pure DOS.

At the prompt (C:>) type "md My Directory" (without the quotes). Note
the space between "My" and "Directory". Instead of pressing the space-
bar, hold down the <ALT> key while typing 255 on the KEYPAD...
(i.e. md My<alt 255>Directory) then press enter. Type "exit" (no quotes)
to return to Windows.

Press <F5> to refresh the display and you will see a new folder called
"My_Directory". Try to access it however and you will receive an error
message (which varies). Even the powerfull WinFile will not be able to
access it... in effect, making it unavailable!

When YOU want to access it, you must, again, go to the DOS prompt and
rename it to something Windows can understand. At the prompt, type
"ren My<alt255>Directory My_Directory" (again, no quotes). Note how we
changed the <alt255) character to an ordinary underscore?. Press enter,
type "exit" and refreh and you're in bussiness. Explorer will still show
it as "My_Directory", but now you'll have full access to it.

Do the reverse when you want to hide it again:
ren My_Directory My<alt255>Directory

You can automate it somewhat by making a couple of .BAT files...
Just substitute the appropriate drive/directory/path as required:

HIDE.BAT
@echo off
if exist My_Directory ren My_Directory My<alt255>Directory

UNHIDE.BAT
@echo off
if exist My<alt255>Directory ren My<alt255>Directory My_Directory

NOTE: 1. Remember, <alt255> means holding down the alt key while tapping
255 on the keypad!
2. Do NOT put these .BAT files into the MY_Directory folder or
you'll defeat the purpose since you will not be able to use
Explorer to access "UNHIDE.BAT"!

Hope this makes sense and helps,

Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

LegMan wrote:

> Pepe Duran wrote:
>>
>> Is there any software available that can "hide" a directory. ??
>> I work in a business that runs 24/7 and the other shifts modify my
>> data files.
>> I cant put the data onto floppy as the files are to large.
>> Thanks for any replies
>
> Well, there are password encrytion programs out there that should do it.
>
> However, there is one "trick" I've used in the past that, while not as
> secure as encryption, works pretty well in keeping all but the most savy
> of users from accessing your directory... if you're willing to do some
> extra work. This "trick" works on all versions of Windows up to WinME.
> It may work on the NT variety of Windows too (W2k, XP etc.), but I
> haven't tried it!

Nope, doesn't work on 2K. On the NT family just don't allow other users
access.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ok I have done it.
Solution was .....Use Acronis OS selector, create a 5Mb partition, and hide
the partition. Brilliant.

> [...]
> >
> > You can automate it somewhat by making a couple of .BAT files...
> > Just substitute the appropriate drive/directory/path as required:
> >
> > HIDE.BAT
> > @echo off
> > if exist My_Directory ren My_Directory My<alt255>Directory
> >
> > UNHIDE.BAT
> > @echo off
> > if exist My<alt255>Directory ren My<alt255>Directory My_Directory
> >
> > NOTE: 1. Remember, <alt255> means holding down the alt key while tapping
> > 255 on the keypad!
> > 2. Do NOT put these .BAT files into the MY_Directory folder or
> > you'll defeat the purpose since you will not be able to use
> > Explorer to access "UNHIDE.BAT"!
> >
> > Hope this makes sense and helps,
> >
> > Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:36:22 GMT, "Pepe Duran"
<pepeduran533@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok I have done it.
>Solution was .....Use Acronis OS selector, create a 5Mb partition, and hide
>the partition. Brilliant.

Here's a simple solution you could have used too. Use Winzip or WinRAR
to compress the folder at the end of each shift and password protect
the compressed file. Then just uncompress it at the beginning of each
shift.