Source filter error

When I try to open many mpgs and/or avis in Windows Media
Player, I get the error message "The source filter for
this file could not be found". Anyone know what this
means or how to fix it? I've tried all the updates I can
find and nothing seems to work.

Do you know how these are encoded, it sounds like an incomptable
format/codec
Graham