Creating a network with a single wireless computer

We are a training facility. We would like to set up a classroom with up to 16 computers through a single wireless connection. Here's what I'd like to do: I would have one computer with a wireless NIC card that would connect to the network through a wireless router. 16 additional computers would connect to the one wireless computer through standard cable connections using a hub. Would this work or do all 17 computers have to have wireless NIC cards?

TIA,
Julie Kleckner
Cincinnati, OH
4 answers Last reply
More about creating network single wireless computer

    Yes, each computer will half to have it's own wireless card!
    "JEWLS8896" <JEWLS8896@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are a training facility. We would like to set up a classroom with up to
    16 computers through a single wireless connection. Here's what I'd like to
    do: I would have one computer with a wireless NIC card that would connect to
    the network through a wireless router. 16 additional computers would connect
    to the one wireless computer through standard cable connections using a hub.
    Would this work or do all 17 computers have to have wireless NIC cards?

    > TIA,
    > Julie Kleckner
    > Cincinnati, OH

    Hi.

    It will work the way you describe it.

    You would have to put a regular NIC in the computer with the Wireless
    Client, connect the Hub to the Wired NIC and the 16 computers to it you will
    need to set manual IPs or have a DHCP server on the source computer.

    Doing so would creates two Networks. Network One on the Router, and network
    Two on the Hub.

    If you use WinXP you can Bridge the two Networks.

    However it is much simpler to leave the Wireless computer alone and connect
    a consumer Bridge to the hub (like Linksys WET11) . The 16 computers can be
    connected with wires to the Hub and you will have One big "Family"
    (Network).

    About Wireless Modes here: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JEWLS8896" <JEWLS8896@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are a training facility. We would like to set up a classroom with up to
    16 computers through a single wireless connection. Here's what I'd like to
    do: I would have one computer with a wireless NIC card that would connect to
    the network through a wireless router. 16 additional computers would connect
    to the one wireless computer through standard cable connections using a hub.
    Would this work or do all 17 computers have to have wireless NIC cards?

    > TIA,
    > Julie Kleckner
    > Cincinnati, OH

    You need another type of device called Wireless Bridge.
    Check for example at DLink

    --

    "JEWLS8896" <JEWLS8896@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B2FD8EF-28B4-4FF0-8CAD-271DA54EB072@microsoft.com...
    > We are a training facility. We would like to set up a classroom with up to 16 computers through a single wireless connection.
    Here's what I'd like to do: I would have one computer with a wireless NIC card that would connect to the network through a
    wireless router. 16 additional computers would connect to the one wireless computer through standard cable connections using a
    hub. Would this work or do all 17 computers have to have wireless NIC cards?

    > TIA,
    > Julie Kleckner
    > Cincinnati, OH

    Your idea will work as long as the wireless router is physically connected
    to the hub with a cable thus making it part of the same segment. You should
    also put the wireless router in the same subnet as the rest of the network
    for network browsing, then you won't need a bridge.

    I use both wired and wireless through a Dlink DI624 and all machines can
    access all network shares without any problems. I also don't use or need a
    bridge.

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > You need another type of device called Wireless Bridge.
    > Check for example at DLink
    >
    > --
    >
    > "JEWLS8896" <JEWLS8896@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We are a training facility. We would like to set up a classroom with up
    to 16 computers through a single wireless connection.
    > Here's what I'd like to do: I would have one computer with a wireless NIC
    card that would connect to the network through a
    > wireless router. 16 additional computers would connect to the one wireless
    computer through standard cable connections using a
    > hub. Would this work or do all 17 computers have to have wireless NIC
    cards?

    > > TIA,
    > > Julie Kleckner
    > > Cincinnati, OH

Wireless Connection Computers Wireless Networking