Longest possible EIDE 100/133 cable?

I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
corruption?

Thanks.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:20:22 GMT, "John Covington" <none@none.com>
wrote:

>I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
>keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
>DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
>lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
>corruption?

You might be better off putting in an external FW or USB2 enclosure.

cjt

John Covington wrote:

> I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
> keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
> DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
> lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
> corruption?
>
> Thanks.

I think the max allowed is 18" -- for sure 36" is way too long to have
it work except occasionally by pure luck.

"CJT" wrote:
> John Covington wrote:
>
> > I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
> > keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
> > DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
> > lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
> > corruption?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> I think the max allowed is 18" -- for sure 36" is way too long to have
> it work except occasionally by pure luck.

36" is longer than the ATA spec calls out, and it would probably be
problematic for an ATA/133 hard drive. But for a DVD? Dunno.
Try it and let us know how it works out! (BTW, are you going to
use a ribbon cable or a "round" cable?)

*TimDaniels*

cjt

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "CJT" wrote:
>
>>John Covington wrote:
>>

>>>I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
>>>keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
>>>DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
>>>lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
>>>corruption?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>I think the max allowed is 18" -- for sure 36" is way too long to have
>>it work except occasionally by pure luck.
>

> 36" is longer than the ATA spec calls out, and it would probably be
> problematic for an ATA/133 hard drive. But for a DVD? Dunno.
> Try it and let us know how it works out! (BTW, are you going to
> use a ribbon cable or a "round" cable?)
>
> *TimDaniels*

I think life's too short for that kind of nonsense.

Obey specs, be happy.

"CJT" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:

> >>I think the max allowed is 18" -- for sure 36" is way too long to have
> >>it work except occasionally by pure luck.
> >

> > 36" is longer than the ATA spec calls out, and it would probably be
> > problematic for an ATA/133 hard drive. But for a DVD? Dunno.
> > Try it and let us know how it works out! (BTW, are you going to
> > use a ribbon cable or a "round" cable?)
> >
> > *TimDaniels*
>
> I think life's too short for that kind of nonsense.
>
> Obey specs, be happy.

John Covington - Disobey specs and learn something. Only stepping
out of the box leads to new knowledge. What can it hurt to produce
a couple DVD coasters?

*TimDaniels*

cjt

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "CJT" wrote:
>
>>Timothy Daniels wrote:

>>> 36" is longer than the ATA spec calls out, and it would probably be
>>> problematic for an ATA/133 hard drive. But for a DVD? Dunno.
>>> Try it and let us know how it works out! (BTW, are you going to
>>> use a ribbon cable or a "round" cable?)
>>>
>>>*TimDaniels*
>>
>>I think life's too short for that kind of nonsense.
>>
>>Obey specs, be happy.
>

> John Covington - Disobey specs and learn something.

Learn something? If it works, you'll have learned that your particular
combination of hardware has enough "safety factor" built in to squeak
by despite violating specs. If it doesn't work, you'll have learned it
doesn't. There's nothing much that transfers to the next situation you
encounter, and you could even "learn" something that isn't so.

Only stepping
> out of the box leads to new knowledge. What can it hurt to produce
> a couple DVD coasters?

I'd still rather spend my time fighting problems that I _can't_ easily
avoid.

"CJT" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
> > John Covington - Disobey specs and learn something.
>
> Learn something? If it works, you'll have learned that your particular
> combination of hardware has enough "safety factor" built in to squeak
> by despite violating specs. If it doesn't work, you'll have learned it
> doesn't. There's nothing much that transfers to the next situation you
> encounter, and you could even "learn" something that isn't so.
>
> > Only stepping out of the box leads to new knowledge.
> > What can it hurt to produce a couple DVD coasters?
> >

> I'd still rather spend my time fighting problems that I _can't_ easily
> avoid.

I appreciate your caution. For instance, I don't overclock my CPU.
But some people get off on it and gain insight into cooling technology
and have fun with the greater speed. Wouldn't it at least interest you to
know if a 36" round cable *might* extend a DVD drive to the closet?

*TimDaniels*

cjt

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "CJT" wrote:
>
>>Timothy Daniels wrote:
>>
>>> John Covington - Disobey specs and learn something.
>>
>>Learn something? If it works, you'll have learned that your particular
>>combination of hardware has enough "safety factor" built in to squeak
>>by despite violating specs. If it doesn't work, you'll have learned it
>>doesn't. There's nothing much that transfers to the next situation you
>>encounter, and you could even "learn" something that isn't so.
>>

>>> Only stepping out of the box leads to new knowledge.
>>> What can it hurt to produce a couple DVD coasters?
>>>

>>I'd still rather spend my time fighting problems that I _can't_ easily
>>avoid.
>

> I appreciate your caution. For instance, I don't overclock my CPU.
> But some people get off on it and gain insight into cooling technology
> and have fun with the greater speed. Wouldn't it at least interest you to
> know if a 36" round cable *might* extend a DVD drive to the closet?
>
> *TimDaniels*

No, I get my thrills elsewhere. But I will concede that some folks get
a kick out of taking chances with their data. That's their prerogative.

CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in

> John Covington wrote:
>
>> I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my
>> monitor, USB keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now
>> like to also extend my DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated
>> 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and lengthened power cables. Does
>> anyone foresee any major problems with data corruption?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I think the max allowed is 18" -- for sure 36" is way too long
> to have it work except occasionally by pure luck.

A lower-risk / standards-based solution would be to purchase a
USB2-IDE adapter and use USB as your remote cabling medium - range
5 metres without repeaters.

Previously John Covington <none@none.com> wrote:
> I have already placed my computer in a closet, and extended my monitor, USB
> keyboard mouse and printer to my desk. I would now like to also extend my
> DVD burner via a well-grounded/insulated 36" EIDE 100/133 cable, and
> lengthened power cables. Does anyone foresee any major problems with data
> corruption?

Power cables should be noncritical. With data-cables this
long you may enough errors to slow down the devce significantly
or make it completely unusable. You may have success using
the bunner in a slow PIO mode, although that carries the
risk of un-detected errors.

My advice: Don't to this. Wait for SATA burners. Then you can
use cabling 1m (fot the metrically challenged 39.370078") long
and still be within the specification. You can also try USB or
Firewire devices.

Arno