Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Disapointed.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2009 6:40:35 PM

Ok I got Windows 7 Ultimate, and feel a little disapointed about the extras..

Or lack of it..

No Windows Mail - i want a mail client - outlook express was good, windows mail was ok but in 7 no client at all

No Dreamscape backdrop. Loved that feature and was good to play clips over and over again.

No Windows ultimate extras - i know there werent that much but what there was - it was good to get something for free.

I really wanted these features thrown in, who on earh gave the decision to take out the mail client at least they could of chucked in Outlook 2007 for free on the business and ultimate versions !!!

More about : disapointed

a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 6:42:53 PM

Windows Mail is now know as Windows Live Mail.

Dreamscene was removed due to lack of use/interest.

Ultimate Extras were dropped from 7. Anything that was intended to be an Ultimate extra was simply included out of the box in 7 Enterprise and Ultimate.
October 25, 2009 6:43:44 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Windows Mail is now know as Windows Live Mail.

Dreamscene was removed due to lack of use/interest.

Ultimate Extras were dropped from 7. Anything that was intended to be an Ultimate extra was simply included out of the box in 7 Enterprise and Ultimate.

Yeah but not as good as mail..
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 6:45:15 PM

True... but I don't use it for mail... only for Newsgroup access since Outlook doesn't support it.
October 25, 2009 6:47:35 PM

NO, Outlook Express was not good. But anyway, you could try Thunderbird.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 6:49:13 PM

Devastator_uk said:
NO, Outlook Express was not good. But anyway, you could try Thunderbird.

Outlook Express sucked, but I believe the OP was talking about Windows Mail instead.
October 25, 2009 6:58:25 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Outlook Express sucked, but I believe the OP was talking about Windows Mail instead.

But I never had a issue with outlook express - ever plus it was easier to administer by exporting email accounts from one pc to another

all we had to copy across was the identities - outlook express folder, windows address book and export mail accounts.

easy with out even typing in a password..

If outlook express was so crap, why did it last so long !!!

But my origional comment was on windows mail..
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 7:22:31 PM

No outlook express, now that is disappointing! Since we have been using it without complaint for what, 10 years now, why would they drop it? Even if not everyone liked it, there were a whole lot of us that did. This was a mistake. I knew that as good as Windows 7 has been sounding, there had to be something that Microsoft screwed up somewhere.
October 25, 2009 7:34:41 PM

I'm upset that my Windows 7 Professional doesn't come with any games. They couldn't have at least given me Hearts?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 7:46:42 PM

Go to the Games Explorer menu. All the usual suspects are in there.
October 25, 2009 7:50:05 PM

on the business edition of windows vista you had to manually ad games as windows vista business had them turned off by default..

I havent got a business edition to try so i cant comment on Windows 7.

But Windows 7 Ultimate looks - naked, a lot missing compared to Vista and this supposed to but better..

Hey Microsoft Make Vista not so *** slow and more stable with a new service pack and we wouldnt need 7.

Im sure what they did with 7 could of been a Vista service pack. They produced a service pack for 2003 server which changed almost everything so why not a desktop os.
October 25, 2009 8:00:03 PM

Oh yeah and Windows XP mode uses a S3 Card from 10 years ago..

Please. think about it microsoft.. Put ATI or Nvidia drivers on the list .

Microsoft really had their head stuck up their ass on that one, oh and a Fatality soundcard works as a AWE 32 which worked on ISA bus.

a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 8:12:55 PM

Are you retarded? Windows XP Mode was not designed as a method by which users could play games. It is designed for applications that are not yet up to speed in terms of running in the Windows 7 environment, and for any remaining 16-bit code that has to stay in use. If you want to play games under Windows XP, dual boot XP and play them there.
October 25, 2009 8:24:38 PM

Windows Live Essentials

Seriously, do more research before whinning, havn't you been following Windows 7's developement at all? Or even bothered to look at what features are included before buying a copy?
October 25, 2009 8:28:16 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Are you retarded? Windows XP Mode was not designed as a method by which users could play games. It is designed for applications that are not yet up to speed in terms of running in the Windows 7 environment, and for any remaining 16-bit code that has to stay in use. If you want to play games under Windows XP, dual boot XP and play them there.

no im not retarded a-hole

Windows XP mode should be able to run all old software which dont run..
October 25, 2009 8:28:52 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Windows Live Essentials

Seriously, do more research before whinning, havn't you been following Windows 7's developement at all? Or even bothered to look at what features are included before buying a copy?

nothing new there that you cant get on vista
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 8:30:17 PM

Hellboy said:
no im not retarded a-hole

Windows XP mode should be able to run all old software which dont run..

Then go work for VMware or Microsoft to make it happen.
October 25, 2009 8:30:19 PM

But not included by default on Windows 7 hence your lack of mail client.
October 25, 2009 8:32:32 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
But not included by default on Windows 7 hence your lack of mail client.

agreed, but i find it something so trivial that every single os from 95 upwards had a mail client and the last one doesnt.

I know theres webmail etc and others from mozilla etc but to not include it seems madness.
October 25, 2009 8:33:44 PM

Its because people complained about Vista being bloated so they stripped out the stuff not everyone needed.
October 25, 2009 8:37:47 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Its because people complained about Vista being bloated so they stripped out the stuff not everyone needed.

but it was a take it or leave it situation.

Its just a feature they removed, surely new os's should have more features thrown in.

Windows 7 in my mind has had more features removed for a new os when all the older ones have been added.

and Ultimate is the best of both worlds, domain connecting etc with home premium features.. Doesnt feel very homely to me, more business like with a DX 11 which is not being used right now, am I missing the point here or am I just moaning for the sake of it..

I bet the first thing you did once 7 got loaded was acrobat, flash, and windows live essentials, after the drivers.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 8:43:31 PM

Not every new OS should have more features. Adding more features means that the Pandora's box that is security creaks further open ever so slightly as more and more is added. I think that by removing all of the unnecessary stuff from Windows by default, Microsoft has created an exponentially more secure product right out of the box. Not that I think there was anything wrong with Vista's level of security, but in this case (somewhat ironically too) more is better. I think we can all be happy about that.
October 25, 2009 8:45:08 PM

yeah but come on a email client..

I understand Dreamscape, although i like that one.

The extras - what extras, but email - nah dont except that one. It should have windows mail at least imho
October 25, 2009 8:48:14 PM

Remember, lots of people have no use for Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger ect and use the various alternatives. The idea behind Windows Live Essentials is that you get only what you actually want.

Some businesses use OWA servers, why would they want an email client?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 8:49:52 PM

As I said in my last post, another feature means another avenue of attack. If they had added a link to the download page for what would have been the default mail client, would we be having this discussion right now?

Microsoft actually did this with Vista (if anyone remembers the Windows Live Messenger download link right in the Start Menu). I'll concede that they should have done something similar with the Mail client for 7, but to include it with 7, especially given the bad security baseline they had in XP, and the (I believe undeserved) rep they got with Vista, would be a bad idea.

Edit: Well, maybe not so much a bad idea, but more like unnecessary.
October 25, 2009 8:52:31 PM

Seperating the programs from the core OS let them focus on stability and security.
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2009 3:53:34 AM

This is exactly what I talked about in a similar thread. Microsoft is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they include everything in their OS, the government gets on their ass about trying to limit competition and the uber geeks complain that Windows is bloated to hell. If they leave a thing or two out, they get people constantly complaining that it's not there by default and we shouldn't have to go and download something, damnit!

By not including a mail client by default, MS is letting you make the choice as to which one you'd like installed. Of course, there was nothing stopping anyone from using the alternatives before... but people still complain anyway. Besides, I think MS is trying to get everyone to use Windows Live Mail... my ISP is even switching over to Windows Live Mail-based accounts.
!