Should I repair my S400?

Well, I dropped the S400 while putting in the battery.....it was dropped
only 2 feet and onto a wooden (not concrete) floor. Nevertheless, a
hinge is broken off the CF door and more importantly, the zoom lens is
1/2 in and 1/2 out and it wont budge. When I get the camera to start at
all, it is for a split second with the error message of E18 in the LCD.

I'm assuming this is a major repair and I'm debating about whether I
want to change cameras.

I dislike the lack of a "grip" on the body of the S400 - no rounded edge
to let you get a good grip. I can't tell you how many times I've ended
up with a finger or two over the flash while trying to get a good hold
on the body.

I dislike the fact that photos are never ever very very sharp.

I love the ability to reproduce color very accurately.

I love the white balance options.

And most of all, I don't want anything heavier.

Thoughts? TIA

Louise
4 answers Last reply
More about should repair s400

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:07:40 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Well, I dropped the S400 while putting in the battery.....it was dropped
    >only 2 feet and onto a wooden (not concrete) floor. Nevertheless, a
    >hinge is broken off the CF door and more importantly, the zoom lens is
    >1/2 in and 1/2 out and it wont budge. When I get the camera to start at
    >all, it is for a split second with the error message of E18 in the LCD.
    >
    >I'm assuming this is a major repair and I'm debating about whether I
    >want to change cameras.
    >
    >I dislike the lack of a "grip" on the body of the S400 - no rounded edge
    >to let you get a good grip. I can't tell you how many times I've ended
    >up with a finger or two over the flash while trying to get a good hold
    >on the body.
    >
    >I dislike the fact that photos are never ever very very sharp.
    >
    >I love the ability to reproduce color very accurately.
    >
    >I love the white balance options.
    >
    >And most of all, I don't want anything heavier.
    >
    >Thoughts? TIA
    >
    >Louise

    I'm sorry you dropped your camera.
    That's one reason I have a lanyard attached to my S400
    and wear it around my neck.
    Sounds like you have already made up your mind you
    want to get something else:
    "I dislike the fact that photos are never ever very very sharp."
    To me one of the problems with small cameras is that they
    are harder to hold steady while releasing the shutter.
    I love my S400 for snapshots but rely on my G5 for more
    serious picture taking. (I didn't say "photography" because
    I'm not a Photographer, just a taker of pictures!)

    Jack Mac

    Louise wrote:

    > I dislike the fact that photos are never ever very very sharp.

    My S400 pics are sharp and find they do not need unsharp mask nor any
    other sharpening even for cropped pics.

    > I love the ability to reproduce color very accurately.

    All my S400 pics have a very, very slight reddish cast, easy to see
    when running them thru a color corrector (ie, Kodak Digital ROC or any
    Photoshop color corrector)

    What ever happend to durabilty, remember the old canon eos 600 film slr,
    we used to put it in a bag and play football with it on boring shoots,
    still as good as new when it came out, these days sneeze on your new
    digital and the cf door comes off,
    they dont make em like that any more !

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:07:40 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Well, I dropped the S400 while putting in the battery.....it was dropped
    >only 2 feet and onto a wooden (not concrete) floor. Nevertheless, a
    >hinge is broken off the CF door and more importantly, the zoom lens is
    >1/2 in and 1/2 out and it wont budge. When I get the camera to start at
    >all, it is for a split second with the error message of E18 in the LCD.
    >
    >I'm assuming this is a major repair and I'm debating about whether I
    >want to change cameras.
    >
    >I dislike the lack of a "grip" on the body of the S400 - no rounded edge
    >to let you get a good grip. I can't tell you how many times I've ended
    >up with a finger or two over the flash while trying to get a good hold
    >on the body.
    >
    >I dislike the fact that photos are never ever very very sharp.
    >
    >I love the ability to reproduce color very accurately.
    >
    >I love the white balance options.
    >
    >And most of all, I don't want anything heavier.
    >
    >Thoughts? TIA
    >
    >Louise

    My thoughts are to sell the camera on ebay for parts and buy you a
    new camera that you like. Digital camera have a very short life
    anyway (as compared to my 40 year old Nikormat FT).

    Pj

Cameras Peripherals