4kb in bad sectors on (new) Toshiba MK4019GAX 40gb HDD

Willem

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

Hello,

The past week has been very frustrating. I had been experiencing
problems with what looked like a Sasser infection, and eventually
decided to re-format the Toshiba drive I purchased around 3 months
ago. Hated to do it, but enough was enough.

While things have improved, chkdsk now shows "4kb in bad sectors" (see
bottom for .log). And there is this strange noise that occurs,
particularly boot up (Win XP Pro), which, if you'll allow me to render
in visual form with the help of Extended ASCII, sounds like:

Chi-Chi-Chi-
CHIT CHIT
Chi-Chi-Chi-

[pause of a second or so, then repeats...}

Chi-Chi-Chi-
CHIT CHIT
Chi-Chi-Chi-

This sound always occurs in the same "batch pattern" above, and
sometimes repeats a second time. I'm pretty annoyed as the drive is
barely 3 months, and I've lost all my data thanks to the reformatting.
I've run chkdsk /f and /r, and I've also run the scan disk function in
norton system works to no avail. Is it fair to say that the computer
has failed to move the 4 kb from the bad sectors? Is there anything
else I can do to repair? Should I replace the drive even if I can't
get my money back on the one I have now? Finally, is it possible one
of the variants of Sasser or Blaster caused the drive damage?

As I bought the drive out of state from an eBay retailer, I've been
trying to swap the drive for a replacement at an authorized Toshiba
repair centure, but they're not being very cooperative.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Willem

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.

39070048 KB total disk space.
1856560 KB in 10810 files.
2684 KB in 685 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
78964 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
37131836 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
9282959 allocation units available on disk.

willem wrote:

> As I bought the drive out of state from an eBay retailer, I've been
> trying to swap the drive for a replacement at an authorized Toshiba
> repair centure, but they're not being very cooperative.

So, you bought a sick HD on eBay, and now you expect Toshiba to give
you a replacement? The seller may be liable, but Toshiba sure isn't.
--
Cheers, Bob

Willem

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

> So, you bought a sick HD on eBay, and now you expect Toshiba to give
> you a replacement? The seller may be liable, but Toshiba sure isn't.

Thanks for the response Bob. A CSR from Toshiba HQ told me I would be
able to exchange the drive at a local service centre. I'm under the
impression there is a one year manufacturer's warranty, so it doesn't
strike me as so absurd a proposition.