Olympus C-700 "battery emtpy" problem

fred

Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's not
the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
since.

Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Thanks!!
Fred

Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
> the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
not
> the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
about
> 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> since.
>
> Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> Thanks!!
> Fred

fred

No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
> not
> > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
> about
> > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
> new
> > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> > since.
> >
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > Fred

Try cleaning all the contacts on the batteries and the camera metal contacts
with contact cleaner. Short (pun not intended) of that use a cotton swab
with medical alcohol (isopropyl with the most pure content you can find).

After that?????

> No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...
>
> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
giving
> me
> > > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
It's
> > not
> > > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result
with
> > > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
> > about
> > > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in
4
> > new
> > > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same
ever
> > > since.
> > >
> > > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> > >
> > > Thanks!!
> > > Fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

"J?rg Preddimann" <preddimann@skinheads.zzn.com> wrote in message
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
not
> > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
about
> > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> > since.
> >
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> I've heard numerous accounts of the same exact thing from other
> Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Nikon, and Sony digital camera owners. Switch
> to the Sigma SD10. This camera gives you the best battery life of any
> camera with zero reports of errors to my knowledge. In addition, you
> can not beat the image quality of the Foveon sensor.
>
> --
>
> Jörg Preddimann

There are two possibilities. Either it works with the bad battery
indication, or it doesn't. If it works with it, then there are two
possibilities. Either you elect to live with the problem, or you decide to
get it fixed. Your choice.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

I have found that (considering how much of a rush people are in) nimh
batteries (I assume that's what you are using) don't do as well when
fast-charged. I get much longer life between charges when I use a slow
charger.
_________________________________
John
_________________________________

fred

Thanks, GB. I took your advice and cleaned the contacts good. Springs are
OK, too. Top contact piece also makes good contact. Still same problem.
Looks like it's time to check out the cost of Olympus service.

Appreciate all the comments.

> Try cleaning all the contacts on the batteries and the camera metal
contacts
> with contact cleaner. Short (pun not intended) of that use a cotton swab
> with medical alcohol (isopropyl with the most pure content you can find).
>
> After that?????
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...
> >
> > "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > > Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
> > >
> > > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> giving
> > me
> It's
> > > not
> with
> > > about
> 4
> > > new
> ever

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
problem with this model.

NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
isolated the problem to the camera itself.

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)

Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
schematic.

I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

Fred wrote:

> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

Hi...

I can't tell where you are; but I *think* verizon is the
southern USA.

If you'll send me an email I'll send you back the name of
a fellow in california usa who does good and inexpensive
work. And is an Olympus repair depot.

Ken

> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
to a cap on the CF card.

Fred wrote:
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
> (Please... don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd
> party.)

Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also herd
the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.

Just what I heard..... from a tech.

kosh

"Jack-of-the-Dust" <WillieWhizBang@cod.org> wrote in message

> Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
> to a cap on the CF card.

No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that would
help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when new
batteries are first installed.

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks, will check it out.
Fred

"kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
(Please...
> > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
> >
> > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> > schematic.
> >
> > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
> with
> > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
> or
> > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
> said
> > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
> >
> > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
> > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> > problem with this model.
> >
> > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also
herd
> the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
> of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
> everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
> While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
> put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.
>
> Just what I heard..... from a tech.
>
> kosh

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

That's right. Another case study! The C50 is a little beauty. But the
metal pins of the sliding cover ride in a plastic track. After average to
heavy use, the pins cut through the track, the door jams or falls off.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
_________________________________
"kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
(Please...
> > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
> >
> > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> > schematic.
> >
> > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
> with
> > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
> or
> > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
> said
> > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
> >
> > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
> > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> > problem with this model.
> >
> > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also
herd
> the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
> of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
> everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
> While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
> put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.
>
> Just what I heard..... from a tech.
>
> kosh

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Digital service is a common problem as most if not all Japanese camera
manufacturers decided (in unison?) that they would simply refuse to sell
digital camera service manuals to independent repair shops or end users.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
_________________________________
"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks for the contact, Ken. He replied but doesn't work on Olympus C-700
or know any referrals or documentation. Very good contact for future
though. Thanks again!!

On Sunday, July 25, 2004 at 08:53:24 Sunday, 25 July 2004 (where I live), "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

> Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

Or aus.photo. "aus" being "Australia", which is a long way from where you
are!

--
Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked.

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> "Jack-of-the-Dust" <WillieWhizBang@cod.org> wrote in message
> > >
> > Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night
due
> > to a cap on the CF card.
>
> No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that
would
> help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
> see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when
new
> batteries are first installed.

I just tried a 2nd memory card and no change in camera - eliminated that
possibility. Thanks for the idea. I did talk to a half dozen repair shops
last week and no one in the greater Los Angeles works on the Olympus C700.
They all send it to Olympus for a "quote". With minimum charges, etc., the
bare minimum to get it fixed would be $130 and dealing thru a 3rd party.
I'll just go direct to Olympus and bite the bullet.

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's not
the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
since.

Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Thanks!!
Fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Fred wrote:

I have a 730 and have never had that problem, though I have another Olympus,
the c-350 which always says battery is empty, but it goes on shooting
normally.

--
al-Farrob
--

Fred wrote:
> Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
> giving me the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new
> batteries.

On the off chance you are not using "Heavy Duty" batteries instead of
Alkalines are you?

> Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Have seen this on many brands/models with "Heavy Duty" batts.

Regards, Ken

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

No, I'm always using alkaline. Thx though.