Olympus C-700 "battery emtpy" problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 5, 2004 8:58:48 PM

Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's not
the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
since.

Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Thanks!!
Fred
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:17:14 PM

Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
> the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
not
> the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
about
> 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> since.
>
> Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> Thanks!!
> Fred

July 10, 2004 11:31:29 AM

No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
> not
> > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
> about
> > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
> new
> > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> > since.
> >
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > Fred

July 10, 2004 9:59:43 PM

Try cleaning all the contacts on the batteries and the camera metal contacts
with contact cleaner. Short (pun not intended) of that use a cotton swab
with medical alcohol (isopropyl with the most pure content you can find).

After that?????

> No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...
>
> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
giving
> me
> > > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
It's
> > not
> > > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result
with
> > > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
> > about
> > > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in
4
> > new
> > > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same
ever
> > > since.
> > >
> > > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> > >
> > > Thanks!!
> > > Fred

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 1:04:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

"J?rg Preddimann" <preddimann@skinheads.zzn.com> wrote in message
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
not
> > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
about
> > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> > since.
> >
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> I've heard numerous accounts of the same exact thing from other
> Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Nikon, and Sony digital camera owners. Switch
> to the Sigma SD10. This camera gives you the best battery life of any
> camera with zero reports of errors to my knowledge. In addition, you
> can not beat the image quality of the Foveon sensor.
>
> --
>
> Jörg Preddimann

There are two possibilities. Either it works with the bad battery
indication, or it doesn't. If it works with it, then there are two
possibilities. Either you elect to live with the problem, or you decide to
get it fixed. Your choice.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:10:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

I have found that (considering how much of a rush people are in) nimh
batteries (I assume that's what you are using) don't do as well when
fast-charged. I get much longer life between charges when I use a slow
charger.
_________________________________
John
_________________________________
July 18, 2004 10:18:31 AM

Thanks, GB. I took your advice and cleaned the contacts good. Springs are
OK, too. Top contact piece also makes good contact. Still same problem.
Looks like it's time to check out the cost of Olympus service.

Appreciate all the comments.

> Try cleaning all the contacts on the batteries and the camera metal
contacts
> with contact cleaner. Short (pun not intended) of that use a cotton swab
> with medical alcohol (isopropyl with the most pure content you can find).
>
> After that?????
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > No, same batteries as always - alkaline. Same brand and everything...
> >
> > "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > > Did you just switch to NiCad or NiMh?
> > >
> > > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> giving
> > me
> It's
> > > not
> with
> > > about
> 4
> > > new
> ever

July 23, 2004 7:09:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,de.alt.rec.digitalfotografie (More info?)

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
problem with this model.

NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
isolated the problem to the camera itself.

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred
July 24, 2004 10:02:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)

Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
schematic.

I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

[...]

July 24, 2004 11:23:52 PM

Fred wrote:

> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

Hi...

I can't tell where you are; but I *think* verizon is the
southern USA.

If you'll send me an email I'll send you back the name of
a fellow in california usa who does good and inexpensive
work. And is an Olympus repair depot.

Ken
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:31:32 AM

> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
to a cap on the CF card.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 2:53:24 AM

Fred wrote:
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
> (Please... don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd
> party.)

Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:17:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also herd
the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.

Just what I heard..... from a tech.

kosh
July 25, 2004 10:08:23 AM

"Jack-of-the-Dust" <WillieWhizBang@cod.org> wrote in message

> Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
> to a cap on the CF card.

No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that would
help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when new
batteries are first installed.
July 25, 2004 10:10:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks, will check it out.
Fred

"kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
(Please...
> > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
> >
> > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> > schematic.
> >
> > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
> with
> > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
> or
> > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
> said
> > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
> >
> > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
> > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> > problem with this model.
> >
> > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also
herd
> the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
> of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
> everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
> While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
> put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.
>
> Just what I heard..... from a tech.
>
> kosh

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:02:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

That's right. Another case study! The C50 is a little beauty. But the
metal pins of the sliding cover ride in a plastic track. After average to
heavy use, the pins cut through the track, the door jams or falls off.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
_________________________________
"kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
(Please...
> > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
> >
> > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> > schematic.
> >
> > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
> with
> > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
> or
> > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
> said
> > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
> >
> > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
> FIXED
> > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> > problem with this model.
> >
> > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
> >
> > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> > more picture, maybe not.
> >
> > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
> points
> > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
> >
> > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
> the
> > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
> camera,
> > I know that for sure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >

> I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also
herd
> the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
> of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
> everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
> While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
> put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.
>
> Just what I heard..... from a tech.
>
> kosh

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:06:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Digital service is a common problem as most if not all Japanese camera
manufacturers decided (in unison?) that they would simply refuse to sell
digital camera service manuals to independent repair shops or end users.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
_________________________________
"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and
FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact
points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act
the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the
camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

July 31, 2004 10:03:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Thanks for the contact, Ken. He replied but doesn't work on Olympus C-700
or know any referrals or documentation. Very good contact for future
though. Thanks again!!

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Fred wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
(Please...
> > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
> >
> > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> > schematic.
> >
> > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it
with
> > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service
or
> > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they
said
> > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>

> Hi...
>
> I can't tell where you are; but I *think* verizon is the
> southern USA.
>
> If you'll send me an email I'll send you back the name of
> a fellow in california usa who does good and inexpensive
> work. And is an Olympus repair depot.
>
> Ken

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 6:28:55 PM

On Sunday, July 25, 2004 at 08:53:24 Sunday, 25 July 2004 (where I live), "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

> Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

Or aus.photo. "aus" being "Australia", which is a long way from where you
are!

--
Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked.
August 8, 2004 11:40:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> "Jack-of-the-Dust" <WillieWhizBang@cod.org> wrote in message
> > >
> > Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night
due
> > to a cap on the CF card.
>
> No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that
would
> help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
> see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when
new
> batteries are first installed.

I just tried a 2nd memory card and no change in camera - eliminated that
possibility. Thanks for the idea. I did talk to a half dozen repair shops
last week and no one in the greater Los Angeles works on the Olympus C700.
They all send it to Olympus for a "quote". With minimum charges, etc., the
bare minimum to get it fixed would be $130 and dealing thru a 3rd party.
I'll just go direct to Olympus and bite the bullet.
August 16, 2004 2:58:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's not
the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
since.

Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Thanks!!
Fred
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:10:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Fred wrote:

I have a 730 and have never had that problem, though I have another Olympus,
the c-350 which always says battery is empty, but it goes on shooting
normally.

--
al-Farrob
--

Fred wrote:
> Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
> giving me the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new
> batteries.

On the off chance you are not using "Heavy Duty" batteries instead of
Alkalines are you?

> Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Have seen this on many brands/models with "Heavy Duty" batts.

Regards, Ken
August 17, 2004 7:20:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

No, I'm always using alkaline. Thx though.

"Ken Chandler" <news(at)kenchandler_com> wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
> > giving me the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new
> > batteries.
>
> On the off chance you are not using "Heavy Duty" batteries instead of
> Alkalines are you?
>
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> Have seen this on many brands/models with "Heavy Duty" batts.
>
> Regards, Ken

August 17, 2004 7:20:54 AM

Hmmm... sounds like there may be a common problem here. Thx.

"al-Farrob" <al001NOSPAM@al-farrob.com> wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
>
> I have a 730 and have never had that problem, though I have another
Olympus,
> the c-350 which always says battery is empty, but it goes on shooting
> normally.
>
> > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
> > not the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result
> > with
> > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
> > about 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put
> > in 4 new ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up.
> > Same ever since.
> >
> > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > Fred
>
> --
> al-Farrob
> --
> "16 photographs by al-Farrob"
> http://www.al-farrob.com
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:36:14 PM

> Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
> the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's
not
> the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
> each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken
about
> 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> since.
>
> Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
> Thanks!!
> Fred

assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is short
in the camera.
take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.

kosh
August 24, 2004 12:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

try using some NiMH rechargable batteries, if problem persists see
manufacturer :)

> No, I'm always using alkaline. Thx though.
>
> "Ken Chandler" <news(at)kenchandler_com> wrote in message
> > Fred wrote:
> > > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
> > > giving me the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new
> > > batteries.
> >
> > On the off chance you are not using "Heavy Duty" batteries instead of
> > Alkalines are you?
> >
> > > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> >
> > Have seen this on many brands/models with "Heavy Duty" batts.
> >
> > Regards, Ken

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:35:25 PM

> assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is
> short
> in the camera.
> take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.

This thread started out in the electronics repair newsgroup. He knows
Olympus can fix it, for a price about equal to a new camera. He's wondering
how an ordinary mortal, skilled in electronics, can fix it.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:06:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

the answer is NO.
-----------------------

"Michael A. Covington" <look@ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message

> "kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >
> > assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is
> > short
> > in the camera.
> > take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.
>
> This thread started out in the electronics repair newsgroup. He knows
> Olympus can fix it, for a price about equal to a new camera. He's
wondering
> how an ordinary mortal, skilled in electronics, can fix it.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:30:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Olympus will not sell repair parts for digital cameras to non-authorized
service shops.

"Sofie" <sofie@olypen.com> wrote in message
> the answer is NO.
> -----------------------
>

> "Michael A. Covington" <look@ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
> >
> > "kosh" <spam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > >
> > > assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is
> > > short
> > > in the camera.
> > > take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.
> >
> > This thread started out in the electronics repair newsgroup. He knows
> > Olympus can fix it, for a price about equal to a new camera. He's
> wondering
> > how an ordinary mortal, skilled in electronics, can fix it.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:39:08 PM

Darrell Larose wrote:

> Olympus will not sell repair parts for digital cameras to non-authorized
> service shops.

Hi...

With all due respect Darrell; yes they will. Or they
will to me anyways.

That's assuming you're prepared and willing to pay
absolutely unbelievable prices for them.

Ken
August 25, 2004 8:03:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

I'm still looking for a way to repair my Olympus C-700 digital camera
without having to send it to Olympus with a check for $150. (Power
problem -- NOT battery related.)

So I'm keeping the posting going - hoping the right person will eventually
stumble into it.

Over the past few days, I have called 20+ shops in the LA area and none work
on Olympus digital cameras.

Fred
September 5, 2004 9:44:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Ken is right. I had to buy replacement battery doors for s 340L. Seems like
they were $5 or so each and got them right away. The hinge posts on this
door are weak and easy to break off. I bought a couple of doors.

> Darrell Larose wrote:
>
> > Olympus will not sell repair parts for digital cameras to non-authorized
> > service shops.
>
> Hi...
>
> With all due respect Darrell; yes they will. Or they
> will to me anyways.
>
> That's assuming you're prepared and willing to pay
> absolutely unbelievable prices for them.
>
> Ken

November 14, 2004 8:42:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.

IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES OR THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.

Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
since.

Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

Thanks!!
Fred
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:34:45 AM

Fred wrote:

>Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
>the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
>
>IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES OR THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.
>
>Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
>100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
>ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
>since.
>
>Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
>Thanks!!
>Fred

In my experience, they're very sensitive to battery voltage. Even one
soft cell among "new" batteries will trigger that message. I've even
seen it happen with lithium cells. Suggest you switch out cells, and
see if you can identify the bad one.
November 14, 2004 6:36:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

"RWM" <RWM@RWMann.com> wrote in message news:419742D5.1010905@RWMann.com...

> Fred wrote:
>
> >Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
me
> >the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
> >
> >IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES OR THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.
> >
> >Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
> >100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
new
> >ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> >since.
> >
> >Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> >
> >Thanks!!
> >Fred
> >

> In my experience, they're very sensitive to battery voltage. Even one
> soft cell among "new" batteries will trigger that message. I've even
> seen it happen with lithium cells. Suggest you switch out cells, and
> see if you can identify the bad one.
November 14, 2004 6:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

One other thing...

the batteries and battery contacts have ALREADY BEEN THOROUGHLY CHECKED
OUT!! So we can pretty much discount the "PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERIES" line
of troubleshooting.

Thanks just the same.

B^)

> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> "RWM" <RWM@RWMann.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Fred wrote:
> >
> > >Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving
> me
> > >the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
> > >
> > >IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES OR THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.
> > >
> > >Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
> > >100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4
> new
> > >ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
> > >since.
> > >
> > >Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
> > >
> > >Thanks!!
> > >Fred
> > >

> > In my experience, they're very sensitive to battery voltage. Even one
> > soft cell among "new" batteries will trigger that message. I've even
> > seen it happen with lithium cells. Suggest you switch out cells, and
> > see if you can identify the bad one.

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:56:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:42:26 GMT, "Fred"
<testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

>Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
>the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries.
>
>IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES OR THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.
>
>Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
>100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
>ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
>since.
>
>Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
>
>Thanks!!
>Fred

Fred, I've worked as a mechanic,and now I work on computers.
POne thing I've learned doing this is to ask: "How do you KNOW it's
not the batteries?"
The reason I ask is this: when experience says *this* is the problem,
and customer says *this* isn't the problem, *this* is the first thing
I check. And guess what? *This* is usually the problem.
So when you're asked, "How do you know it's not the batteries", you're
being asked because bad or marginal batteries cause exactly the
problems you present.
Yes, there are other things that can cause this. And Oly cameras in
particular seem to have a problem with their power systems on their
PCBs. But still, even on Olys, it *usually* the batteries, and unless
you can assure us that you've actually done some tests that will
remove batteries as the problem, that question will still be asked.
If you were to take the camera to an Oly service center, and assure
them that IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES, the first thing they will do is
insert known good batteries. It's the way troubleshooting goes. First,
you eliminate the obvious. Second, never listen to the customer when
he insists the obvious isn't the problem, *especially* when it's so
trivial to check anyway.
Hope this helps!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

How about a faulty camera then?
November 14, 2004 7:08:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

LOL! I know I'm probably asking the same thing over and over, but I have
gotten much good info by posting. Although I'd still like to find some kind
of service documentation, schematics, etc., that choice is probably not
going to happen. But that doesn't stop me from trying. If I can actually
troubleshoot to the component, there are boxes full of C700's and others in
that same series out there that could be fixed and save the user $150. I
plan to create a site and post the how-to-fix-it info I get -- if I ever get
anything usable.

Nothing irks me more than these big companies selling expensive items and
then not making service documentation available to the purchaser. Smacks of
monopoly to me.

And, no, I'm not running for office. B^)

Fred

"Harvey" <harvey@not.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> > IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> >
> > Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
> >

> How about a faulty camera then?

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:26:15 PM

| One other thing...
| the batteries and battery contacts have ALREADY BEEN THOROUGHLY CHECKED
| OUT!! So we can pretty much discount the "PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERIES"
line
| of troubleshooting.

Unless you hook it up to a good power supply and test to see what voltage it
cuts out at, you haven't truly checked this out IMO.

November 14, 2004 9:26:16 PM

NSM wrote:

>"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>| One other thing...
>| the batteries and battery contacts have ALREADY BEEN THOROUGHLY CHECKED
>| OUT!! So we can pretty much discount the "PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERIES"
>line
>| of troubleshooting.
>
>Unless you hook it up to a good power supply and test to see what voltage it
>cuts out at, you haven't truly checked this out IMO.

No kidding, but hey, he's made up his mind, LIT UP THE CAPS and moved on...
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:29:21 PM

| Nothing irks me more than these big companies selling expensive items and
| then not making service documentation available to the purchaser. Smacks
of
| monopoly to me.

It's possibly a violation of law, depending on the country/state you are in.
Some have consumer protection laws or court decisions about such matters
requiring them to deliver the info to you.

I know that Radio Shack produced such manuals even for the most trivial
items and for those so unusual that few would tackle them.

November 15, 2004 4:46:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, if the camera works otherwise OK, then you have two choices. Either
live with the problem, or send it off to the Olympus repair facility, and
have them fix it. I would probably live with the problem unless and until
the camera failed in some other way, and then, when it was due for a Cal
and/or other service anyway, I would get the battery checking circuit
repaired along with.....I know that I never use the battery test circuit on
my camera, so I could care less if it works....I just carry spare batteries
around with me in case I should ever need them.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:52:57 AM

"NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message news:5uNld.85524$E93.5211@clgrps12...

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> | Nothing irks me more than these big companies selling expensive items
> and
> | then not making service documentation available to the purchaser.
> Smacks
> of
> | monopoly to me.

I agree, and that's why I usually require the salesman to dig one up for
me.....The last new car I bought came with a complete factory service manual
because I did that, by the way.........
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:55:11 PM

In article <ZZTld.40579$5K2.35694@attbi_s03>, weg9@comcast.net says...

> "NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message news:5uNld.85524$E93.5211@clgrps12...
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > | Nothing irks me more than these big companies selling expensive items
> > and
> > | then not making service documentation available to the purchaser.
> > Smacks
> > of
> > | monopoly to me.
>
> I agree, and that's why I usually require the salesman to dig one up for
> me.....The last new car I bought came with a complete factory service manual
> because I did that, by the way.........

about a $500 extra if bought after the sale for my fairly ordinary wagon.
November 16, 2004 2:48:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Good point. Will try to find an adapter.

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> | One other thing...
> | the batteries and battery contacts have ALREADY BEEN THOROUGHLY CHECKED
> | OUT!! So we can pretty much discount the "PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERIES"
> line
> | of troubleshooting.
>
> Unless you hook it up to a good power supply and test to see what voltage
it
> cuts out at, you haven't truly checked this out IMO.

November 16, 2004 2:53:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Good for you! I also try to get service docs when I buy something, but
unfortunately Olympus doesn't make them available to anyone outside the
company.

"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "NSM" <nowrite@to.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > | Nothing irks me more than these big companies selling expensive items
> > and
> > | then not making service documentation available to the purchaser.
> > Smacks
> > of
> > | monopoly to me.
>
> I agree, and that's why I usually require the salesman to dig one up for
> me.....The last new car I bought came with a complete factory service
manual
> because I did that, by the way.........

November 16, 2004 2:53:48 AM

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> > IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!! IT'S NOT THE BATTERIES!!!
> >
> > Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Well, if the camera works otherwise OK, then you have two choices. Either
> live with the problem, or send it off to the Olympus repair facility, and
> have them fix it. I would probably live with the problem unless and until
> the camera failed in some other way, and then, when it was due for a Cal
> and/or other service anyway, I would get the battery checking circuit
> repaired along with.....I know that I never use the battery test circuit
on
> my camera, so I could care less if it works....I just carry spare
batteries
> around with me in case I should ever need them.

Yes, but in this case, I can't live with the problem - the camera is not
usable as is. And can't send to Olympus because I'm sure this problem will
come up again in a year or so - based on email and postings from others.
This is a common problem. Yet, I don't want to throw about the $$ I spent
on it, so I'll keep trying to find out a method of troubleshooting it
myself.
!