Lite-On 52327S CD burner SLOW

I have a Lite-On 52x32x52x (Model 52327S) and it burns CDs at what seems to
be a slower pace than my old Plextor 16x burner. I finally got around to
checking it with the Nero 6 Suite 3 tools, and it's max burn rate is only
24x. :-(

I'm using Memorex CD-R media rated for 52x. I installed the
latest-and-greatest firmware from Lite-On, but that didn't help a bit. I
have the latest-and-greatest chipset driver installed for my motherboard
(Asus P4B266). The burner is the master on EIDE channel 2, with no other
device attached as the slave. I'm running Windows XP w/ SP1 installed and
all the latest updates from Micro$oft.

The Lite-On 52x burner had glowing reviews according to all the sources I
checked before I bought it, so I'm a little disappointed with its
performance. Can anyone think of anything else that I can try? I'm pretty
much at a loss at this point.
2 answers Last reply
More about lite 52327s burner slow

    Hackworth wrote:
    > I have a Lite-On 52x32x52x (Model 52327S) and it burns CDs at what seems to
    > be a slower pace than my old Plextor 16x burner. I finally got around to
    > checking it with the Nero 6 Suite 3 tools, and it's max burn rate is only
    > 24x. :-(

    Did you check that the device is operating in DMA mode?

    -WD

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hackworth wrote:
    > > I have a Lite-On 52x32x52x (Model 52327S) and it burns CDs at what seems
    > > be a slower pace than my old Plextor 16x burner. I finally got around to
    > > checking it with the Nero 6 Suite 3 tools, and it's max burn rate is
    only
    > > 24x. :-(
    >
    > Did you check that the device is operating in DMA mode?

    The drive was showing as "PIO mode only" in Device manager>> ATAPI/IDE
    controllers>> Secondary IDE channel>> Properties>> Advanced . I changed it
    to "DMA if available," but that didn't have any effect. BIOS shows PIO Mode
    4 and DMA 2. But guess what? I removed that channel and then rebooted to let
    Win XP redetect the channel and of course the CD-RW drive along with it. Now
    everything works fine.

    One final thing. Device manager>> ATAPI/IDE controllers>> *both IDE
    channels*>> Properties no longer show an "Advanced" tab. All I get are
    "General," "Driver," and "Resources" tabs. Any idea what's up with that?? I
    don't need to get to the Advanced tab now because everything seems to be
    working fine, but I wonder where it went?

Liteon Burner CD-Rom Storage