Hot swapping SATA drives, anybody done it yet?

Has anybody here done any hot swapping of SATA drives yet? I understand
they are supposed to be more capable than PATA drives in this respect, but I
have never done any hot removal or installation myself.

I have 5 sata drives myself, but all of them are in raid arrays that I
prefer not to mess with. So close yet so far away.

I am wondering, if I have 1 SATA drive used solely for data, is there a
command or process I can go through in XP to ready the drive for
ejecting/swapping? It would be awesome if there was a command line for
mounting/unmounting a drive.

ANY tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
--Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody here done any hot swapping of SATA drives yet?

Yep.

> I understand
> they are supposed to be more capable than PATA drives in this respect, but
> have never done any hot removal or installation myself.
>
> I have 5 sata drives myself, but all of them are in raid arrays that I
> prefer not to mess with. So close yet so far away.
>
> I am wondering, if I have 1 SATA drive used solely for data, is there a
> command or process I can go through in XP to ready the drive for
> ejecting/swapping?

I've been looking for that too.

> It would be awesome if there was a command line for
> mounting/unmounting a drive.

Uninstall in Device Manager or wait past last access for 1 minute and just
pull it out seems to work ok.

As far as a command goes, I bet Linux has a command that could do it. Such
a simple thing to ask of XP, but big enough of a benefit that it tempts me
to try running Linux on this particular machine.

--Dan