3 Ways That Windows 8 Smarter With Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"3 Ways That Windows 8 Smarter With Power"

Windows 8 like power. But fire bad - FIRE BAD!!!

G

So, basically, this is one of those "nothing we weren't already doing" features, but completely re-written to ensure that it's completely broken until Windows 8 SP1 drops?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
A cool idea for power management would be a proximity sensor in a laptop that can tell if you are sat with in X amount of feet, hopefully user defined, so if you get up to take a whizz, grab a brewsky from the fridge or answer the door to the pizza dude, the screen turns off automatically, then back on when you return.

It's not just corporations that worry about the power costs, a high-end user can waste enough electricity in a year to buy a new 2Tb hard drive, the way I see it good power management is another way of saying upgrades afforded sooner.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
good news to idling system. i use to run my pc almost 24/7 and currently using ws08 r2 and power management is quite well. with this kind of news, for the next windows server (2012 maybe) if this news were right, it will consume less juice too.

G

I think the biggest power user is the Monitor and the type of computer. I think more businesses will begging to rethink bigger monitors unless they can create a better way of reducing consumption. One way I thought of was to have a sensor to monitor if someone is sitting near the monitor. I think someone else hear mention it too. That's a great ideal to put monitor to sleep only when nobody is using it. I think lower powered more precise engineered PC's will be helpful too. Such as not over powered PC's and graphics. I think the OS can only do what the hardware allows.

G

___-_-_-__ : I can agree that Linux does many, many things better than Windows, but power management is not one of them on many systems, whereas the systems that run Linux well only tie Windows for power management.

In all fairness though, it's not their fault, as they had to reverse engineer a lot of the ACPI standards, as well as the ACPI quirks for individual motherboards. There are some famous emails subpoenaed from Bill Gates himself during the 90s in regards to using ACPI as a tool to sabotage and obstruct Linux's hardware support.

G

One way I thought of was to have a sensor to monitor if someone is sitting near the monitor.

That would be a cool use MS could make of kinect, have kinect turn on the camera when trigged by a sound like voices or a door opening, then have the monitor turn on and Windows boot from standby if the camera sees someone.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Monitors consume a negligible amount of energy. Yes, you can get lower your energy consumption a little, but implementing what you guys have suggest may, at best, save someone a dollar a year on their bill. The processor using a ton of energy, followed by RAM, the GPU (the GPU can be first on this list), and then the HDDs. If you really want to save money, get energy efficient RAM, a low end GPU, and a ultra-efficient processor.

Would you really want your rig to boot up when you're not at home or in your office cabin, maybe the cat walked in and saw all the fishes on the login screen, by the time you get home.... the cat would already be in the hospital..... or your boss, being the hard hearted Sarah Palin that she is, walks into your cabin and see's the login screen from Who's Nailin Palin....:)
That would be a really good idea to adjust the brightness and other stuff in the monitor using the detectors and sensors, but not booting up......

tlmck

Distinguished
How about just making Windows 8 use minimal system resources the way an OS should. All I know is that when I replaced Win 7 Training Bra Edition on my netbook with Peppermint OS One, battery life nearly doubled. I think this is mainly due to the fact that my hard drive was not constantly churning the swap file.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry to disagree with your review.
On my win8, idling is way too heavy than regular working. Idling pushes CPU in turbo mode.
Couple of processes go into infinite loop.

[citation][nom]dontknownotsure[/nom]I cant help but feeling up-to-the-minute coverage of windows 8 feels more like advertisement than news.[/citation]
it does? hmmmm. I wonder what up-to-the-minute coverage of iEverything feels like...
We are talking a major OS change that's being brought up to our attention, not some toy-gizmo-phone.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]How about just making Windows 8 use minimal system resources the way an OS should. All I know is that when I replaced Win 7 Training Bra Edition on my netbook with Peppermint OS One, battery life nearly doubled. I think this is mainly due to the fact that my hard drive was not constantly churning the swap file.[/citation]
I have a hard time believing you here. I recommend doing a google search on "linux finally fixes power management issue" and see that only within about the last week or two did a fix to a famous power management issue in linux get fixed, and it probably hasn't made its way to distros yet. You see many people talk about the astounding 1 hour battery life they were getting on portables. You also see that it was fixed by mimicing windows.

Then again, now as I'm thinking about it, I do seem to recall it was only on fairly obscure platforms running intel core series chips and intel chipsets, so maybe it didn't affect many people

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]it does? hmmmm. I wonder what up-to-the-minute coverage of iEverything feels like...We are talking a major OS change that's being brought up to our attention, not some toy-gizmo-phone.[/citation]
wtf I im using windows 7

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]Sorry to disagree with your review.On my win8, idling is way too heavy than regular working. Idling pushes CPU in turbo mode. Couple of processes go into infinite loop.[/citation]
well, it ain't the final version yet.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]dontknownotsure[/nom]well, it ain't the final version yet.[/citation]

That, and whatever software is running might not be compliant with the Win8 model - or has a bug itself when Win8 signals it to prepare for hibernation (or whatever term then used - I forget)

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]How about just making Windows 8 use minimal system resources the way an OS should. All I know is that when I replaced Win 7 Training Bra Edition on my netbook with Peppermint OS One, battery life nearly doubled. I think this is mainly due to the fact that my hard drive was not constantly churning the swap file.[/citation]

Or you can just add more ram and do away with the swap...

Status
Not open for further replies.