Does a 10,000 RPM Parallel ATA (not SATA) drive exist?

I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
with SATA interfaces. But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel ATA
(PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?

Thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about does parallel sata drive exist

    "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
    > with SATA interfaces. But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel
    ATA
    > (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?

    Nope and likely you wont ever see one. Everything new will be SATA.
    What's important about PATA? There are STAT to PATA convertors.

    Taed Wynnell wrote:

    > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
    > with SATA interfaces.

    Many? There's one brand with two models, both 10,000 RPM. The other 10,000
    RPM drives and all the 15,000s are SCSI.

    > But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel
    > ATA (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?

    No.

    If you need higher reliability then go RAID. If you are experiencing
    repeated drive failures there's something wrong with your machine, either
    power problems, inadequate cooling, or an unusual vibration environment.
    If you don't fix that you'll just keep killing drives.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:WAnCc.123792$Gx4.18637@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message news:afnCc.884$Kk3.32407@news.uswest.net...
    > > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    > > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be.

    > > I know that many of those are now available with SATA interfaces.

    They are? Care to mention them?

    > > But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel ATA
    > > (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?
    >
    > Nope and likely you wont ever see one. Everything new will be SATA.
    > What's important about PATA?

    > There are STAT to PATA convertors.

    Which is of no use when you need PATA to SATA convertors.

    So, who sells those?

    > > "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000
    and
    > > > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be.
    >
    > > > I know that many of those are now available with SATA interfaces.
    >
    > They are? Care to mention them?

    15000 rpm drives :::
    Cheetah X15
    Probably More..

    > > There are STAT to PATA convertors.
    >
    > Which is of no use when you need PATA to SATA convertors.
    >
    > So, who sells those?

    Pata -> Sata
    HighPoint RocketHead100

    Sata -> Pata
    ViPower VP-9041
    Abit Serillel 2
    Acard AEC-7900

    One last note.
    Repeat this to yourself 100 times
    I WILL GOOGLE BEFORE I ASK STOOPID QUESTIONS.

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
    > > > "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message
    > and

    > > They are? Care to mention them?
    > >

    > 15000 rpm drives :::
    > Cheetah X15
    > Probably More..

    Oops
    Bit of Confusion there..
    Thought you just ment 15000 rpm drives.. Not Sata only.. Ya I havent seen a
    15000 rpm sata drive either ;P
    Maybee something like http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7730.html
    will help in the future (if it can go the other way)

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

    > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000
    and
    > > > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be.
    >
    > > > I know that many of those are now available with SATA interfaces.
    >
    > They are? Care to mention them?
    >
    > > > But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel ATA
    > > > (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?
    > >
    > > Nope and likely you wont ever see one. Everything new will be SATA.
    > > What's important about PATA?
    >
    > > There are STAT to PATA convertors.
    >
    > Which is of no use when you need PATA to SATA convertors.

    There are also those available, troll.

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message news:0VWCc.41$wk3.9@newsfe6-win
    > > > "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote in message

    > > They are? Care to mention them?
    > >

    > 15000 rpm drives :::
    > Cheetah X15
    > Probably More..
    >

    > > > There are STAT to PATA convertors.
    > >
    > > Which is of no use when you need PATA to SATA convertors.
    > >
    > > So, who sells those?
    > >

    > Pata -> Sata
    > HighPoint RocketHead100

    That is also SATA->PATA
    (Although Highpoint refers to them as IDE to SATA convertors).
    Sounds like good old google fooled you.

    > Sata -> Pata
    > ViPower VP-9041
    > Abit Serillel 2
    > Acard AEC-7900
    >

    > One last note.
    > Repeat this to yourself 100 times
    > I WILL GOOGLE BEFORE I ASK STOOPID QUESTIONS.

    WOTANIDIOT!!!

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message news:8%WCc.42$wk3.6@newsfe6-win

    > > > They are? Care to mention them?
    > > >

    > > 15000 rpm drives :::
    > > Cheetah X15
    > > Probably More..
    > >

    > Oops
    > Bit of Confusion there..

    Say "massive" and it may come close.
    Repeat this to yourself 100 times.

    > Thought you just ment 15000 rpm drives.. Not Sata only..

    Weaseling out, are we?

    > Ya I havent seen a 15000 rpm sata drive either ;P

    Nor any 10krpm of SCSI origin. The WD may eventually turn out as of some
    sort of SCSI origin except that WD stopped selling SCSI several years ago.

    > Maybee something like http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7730.html
    > will help in the future (if it can go the other way)

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:12:11 -0700, "Taed Wynnell"
    <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    >15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
    >with SATA interfaces. But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel ATA
    >(PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Seems I recall the western digital 10k sata drive is really a PATA
    design with the usual converters. One reviewer thought they would
    eventually market a PATA version. Should even be cheaper, right ?

    Still waiting though ;)

    mirror@image.com wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:12:11 -0700, "Taed Wynnell"
    > <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    >>15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
    >>with SATA interfaces. But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel
    >>ATA (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > Seems I recall the western digital 10k sata drive is really a PATA
    > design with the usual converters. One reviewer thought they would
    > eventually market a PATA version. Should even be cheaper, right ?

    Seagate's apparently the only outfit that was willing to risk designing a
    controller chip with an SATA interface in advance of shipping their first
    SATA product--everybody else is still using PATA controllers with an SATA
    bridge because it's all they can get at the moment.

    Unlikely that there's going to be a PATA Raptor--it's aimed at the
    "enterprise" market and there are "enterprise" features in SATA that are
    not present in PATA. Eventually WD will likely produce their own
    controller chip with an SATA interface and stop using the bridge chip.

    --

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cbrlk90aqh@news3.newsguy.com... mirror@image.com wrote:

    > > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:12:11 -0700, "Taed Wynnell" <taedn@REMOVETHIS.vertical.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm looking for a higher-reliability drive, of which all of the 10,000 and
    > > > 15,000 RPM drives seem to be. I know that many of those are now available
    > > > with SATA interfaces. But does any manufacturer make one with Parallel
    > > > ATA (PATA/EIDE/ATA-133/etc.) interfaces?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > >>

    > > Seems I recall the western digital 10k sata drive is really a PATA
    > > design with the usual converters. One reviewer thought they would
    > > eventually market a PATA version. Should even be cheaper, right ?
    >
    > Seagate's apparently the only outfit that was willing to risk designing a
    > controller chip with an SATA interface in advance of shipping their first
    > SATA product--everybody else is still using PATA controllers with an
    > SATA bridge because it's all they can get at the moment.
    >
    > Unlikely that there's going to be a PATA Raptor--it's aimed at the
    > "enterprise" market and there are "enterprise" features in SATA that are
    > not present in PATA.

    Oh? Which one?

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    news:cbrlk90aqh@news3.newsguy.com... mirror@image.com wrote:

    Parallel

    > > > Seems I recall the western digital 10k sata drive is really a PATA
    > > > design with the usual converters. One reviewer thought they would
    > > > eventually market a PATA version. Should even be cheaper, right ?
    > >
    > > Seagate's apparently the only outfit that was willing to risk designing
    > > controller chip with an SATA interface in advance of shipping their
    first
    > > SATA product--everybody else is still using PATA controllers with an
    > > SATA bridge because it's all they can get at the moment.
    > >
    > > Unlikely that there's going to be a PATA Raptor--it's aimed at the
    > > "enterprise" market and there are "enterprise" features in SATA that are
    > > not present in PATA.
    >
    > Oh? Which one?

    Troll!

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:2k3uubF17ah84U1@uni-berlin.de

    > > > They are? Care to mention them?
    > > >

    > > 15000 rpm drives :::
    > > Cheetah X15
    > > Probably More..

    > > > Which is of no use when you need PATA to SATA convertors.
    > > >
    > > > So, who sells those?

    Update:
    SAN JOSE, CA (June 22, 2004) – Addonics Technologies today announced a
    SATA - IDE/ATAPI solution, which converts Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives or
    SATA optical storage devices to standard IDE interface storage devices,

    http://www.addonics.com/shopaddonics/default.asp?ic=ADSAIDE

    > > Pata -> Sata
    > > HighPoint RocketHead100
    >
    > That is also SATA->PATA
    > (Although Highpoint refers to them as IDE to SATA convertors).
    > Sounds like good old google fooled you.
    >

    > > Sata -> Pata
    > > ViPower VP-9041
    > > Abit Serillel 2
    > > Acard AEC-7900
    > >

    > > One last note.
    > > Repeat this to yourself 100 times
    > > I WILL GOOGLE BEFORE I ASK STOOPID QUESTIONS.
    >
    > WOTANIDIOT!!!

Hardware SATA Storage