Dell Powervault Error (?) message

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 5:40:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Just bought a 2nd hand Dell Powervault 120T (a DLT7000 tape drive with an autoloader on the front). Each time I eject a tape I get the CT symbol appearing on the LCD. what does thi smean? Dell appears to have absolutely no manual available to download! The only thing I can think of is it means "Clean Tape". I've also heard you can set it to automatically clean?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

Love is complicated machinery.
But sometimes all you need is a good screw to fix it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 5:57:34 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

> Just bought a 2nd hand Dell Powervault 120T (a DLT7000 tape drive with
> an autoloader on the front). Each time I eject a tape I get the CT
> symbol appearing on the LCD. what does thi smean? Dell appears to have
> absolutely no manual available to download! The only thing I can think
> of is it means "Clean Tape".

Yes, CT is for Cleaning Tape. But Google could have told you that.

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 7:53:01 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:57:34 GMT, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> Just bought a 2nd hand Dell Powervault 120T (a DLT7000 tape drive with
>> an autoloader on the front). Each time I eject a tape I get the CT
>> symbol appearing on the LCD. what does thi smean? Dell appears to have
>> absolutely no manual available to download! The only thing I can think
>> of is it means "Clean Tape".
>
> Yes, CT is for Cleaning Tape. But Google could have told you that.

I spent 20 minutes trying to find it on google. CT is too small to be any use - the closest I got was a load of tape drivs with CT in the name.

By the way, do you know if it's ok for the actual drive to make weird noises (like the motor is pushing against the end of a track, but not crunching or slipping) while it is calibrating? There is no error message as such. It sounds like an inkjet printer if the heads get jammed on a bit of paper, or it thinks they are somewhere they aren't, and runs them into the end.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

How are new girl friends like a fresh roll of toilet paper?
Sometimes it's kind of hard to get the first piece, but after that you can rip one off anytime.
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 7:53:02 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:57:34 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Yes, CT is for Cleaning Tape. But Google could have told you that.
>

> I spent 20 minutes trying to find it on google. CT is too small to be
> any use - the closest I got was a load of tape drivs with CT in the name.

Click and learn, grasshopper
http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%20Powervault%20120T...
:)

> By the way, do you know if it's ok for the actual drive to make weird
> noises (like the motor is pushing against the end of a track, but not
> crunching or slipping) while it is calibrating? There is no error
> message as such. It sounds like an inkjet printer if the heads get
> jammed on a bit of paper, or it thinks they are somewhere they aren't,
> and runs them into the end.

Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 10:23:34 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:57:34 GMT, Will Dormann
>> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, CT is for Cleaning Tape. But Google could have told you that.
>>

>> I spent 20 minutes trying to find it on google. CT is too small to be
>> any use - the closest I got was a load of tape drivs with CT in the name.
>
> Click and learn, grasshopper
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%20Powervault%20120T...
> :)

Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is the model of a drive.

Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives complete irrelevant tripe.

>> By the way, do you know if it's ok for the actual drive to make weird
>> noises (like the motor is pushing against the end of a track, but not
>> crunching or slipping) while it is calibrating? There is no error
>> message as such. It sounds like an inkjet printer if the heads get
>> jammed on a bit of paper, or it thinks they are somewhere they aren't,
>> and runs them into the end.
>
> Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
> If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...

Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some specs. I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need special software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them wanting to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems like BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics page you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it would just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically as they fill up.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Can fat people go skinny-dipping?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2004 11:10:41 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
>> If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
>> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...
>

> Now how the hell did you find that?

Magic!
http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+Powervault+120T+dia...
Yes, most of the time Google is more useful than the actual website
containing the information. :)

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 12:23:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

This is an OEM version of the ADIC FasrStore 7, you can download the
dokumentation from here:

http://www.adic.com/adicSupportShell.jsp?Page=supportMa...

Best Regards

Johnny

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o pr93zxkdiaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> > Peter Hucker wrote:

> >> I spent 20 minutes trying to find it on google. CT is too small to be
> >> any use - the closest I got was a load of tape drivs with CT in the
name.

> > Click and learn, grasshopper
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%20Powervault%20120T...
> > :)
>
> Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is the
model of a drive.

> Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives complete
irrelevant tripe.

> >> By the way, do you know if it's ok for the actual drive to make weird
> >> noises (like the motor is pushing against the end of a track, but not
> >> crunching or slipping) while it is calibrating? There is no error
> >> message as such. It sounds like an inkjet printer if the heads get
> >> jammed on a bit of paper, or it thinks they are somewhere they aren't,
> >> and runs them into the end.
> >
> > Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
> > If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
> > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...
>
> Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and
couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some specs.
I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm
assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need special
software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them wanting
to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems like
BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics page
you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it would
just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically as
they fill up.

> --
> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>
> Can fat people go skinny-dipping?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 3:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

One million thanks!

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:23:40 +0200, Johnson_dk <johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:

> This is an OEM version of the ADIC FasrStore 7, you can download the
> dokumentation from here:
>

> http://www.adic.com/adicSupportShell.jsp?Page=supportMa...
>

> Best Regards
>
> Johnny
>

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o pr93zxkdiaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> name.
>> >
>> > Click and learn, grasshopper
>> > http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%20Powervault%20120T...
>> > :)
>>
>> Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is the
> model of a drive.
>>
>> Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives complete
> irrelevant tripe.

>> > Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
>> > If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
>> > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...
>>
>> Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and
> couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some specs.
> I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm
> assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need special
> software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them wanting
> to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems like
> BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics page
> you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it would
> just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically as
> they fill up.
>>

>> --
>> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
>> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
>> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>>
>> Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

There's no need to worry, I have the memory of a.. a.. what's that thing called?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 3:39:13 AM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:10:41 GMT, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann
>> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
>>> If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
>>> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...
>>

>> Now how the hell did you find that?
>
> Magic!
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+Powervault+120T+dia...
> Yes, most of the time Google is more useful than the actual website
> containing the information. :)

I've noticed this, particularly with Microsoft....

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Polynesia -- memory loss in parrots.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 3:47:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need any software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the loader requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for it yet so I can't test anything).

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:23:40 +0200, Johnson_dk <johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:

> This is an OEM version of the ADIC FasrStore 7, you can download the
> dokumentation from here:
>

> http://www.adic.com/adicSupportShell.jsp?Page=supportMa...
>

> Best Regards
>
> Johnny
>

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o pr93zxkdiaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:27:59 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> name.
>> >
>> > Click and learn, grasshopper
>> > http://www.google.com/search?q=Dell%20Powervault%20120T...
>> > :)
>>
>> Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is the
> model of a drive.
>>
>> Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives complete
> irrelevant tripe.

>> > Some tape drives are pretty noisy.
>> > If you are concerned, maybe try the diagnostics:
>> > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...
>>
>> Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and
> couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some specs.
> I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm
> assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need special
> software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them wanting
> to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems like
> BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics page
> you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it would
> just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically as
> they fill up.
>>

>> --
>> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
>> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
>> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>>
>> Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 8:16:47 AM

Peter Hucker wrote:

> Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need
> any software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
> loader requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for
> it yet so I can't test anything).

Sorry. I haven't worked with this drive, so I haven't a clue.

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 9:22:07 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:16:47 GMT, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:
>
>> Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need
>> any software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
>> loader requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for
>> it yet so I can't test anything).
>
> Sorry. I haven't worked with this drive, so I haven't a clue.

I shall play around with it. It has an auto setting which I think will change tapes sequentially itself when the drive ejects (which backup software should do when a tape becomes full).

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 9:39:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Nope, Backup Exec(or most other prof. Backup appications) will handle
everything i, just remember to assign the loader a lower SCSI ID than the
drive, then every think works fine (it sometimes works without, but if you
do this there shuld be no prob. )

news:o pr94exbioaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
> Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need any
software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the loader
requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for it yet so
I can't test anything).

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:23:40 +0200, Johnson_dk
<johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:

> > This is an OEM version of the ADIC FasrStore 7, you can download the
> > dokumentation from here:
> >

> > http://www.adic.com/adicSupportShell.jsp?Page=supportMa...
> >

> > Best Regards
> >
> > Johnny
> >

> > "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o pr93zxkdiaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...

> > name.

> >> Well I tried all sorts of combinations, I guess you were lucky. CT is
the
> > model of a drive.
> >>
> >> Most stuff is easy to find, it's the odd thing google just gives
complete
> > irrelevant tripe.

> >> Now how the hell did you find that? I went all over dell's site, and
> > couldn't find anything except a couple of little diagrams and some
specs.
> > I'd love a manual for it, and software if required for the loader? I'm
> > assuming the tape drive is a tape drive, but the loader will need
special
> > software? Looks like I have to pay Dell? I even tried phoning them
wanting
> > to buy a manual and software, but I got cut off! Cheapy phone systems
like
> > BT use. Get transferred to thin air. Although from the diagnostics
page
> > you produced, it looks like I can put it into sequential mode, and it
would
> > just use all 7 (or 6 if I use the autoclean thing) tapes automatically
as
> > they fill up.
> >>

> >> --
> >> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
> >> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> >> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
> >>
> >> Can fat people go skinny-dipping?
> >

> --
> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>
> It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the
wall.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2004 10:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks.

I can't believe this - the simplest of things - noone makes HVD terminators?!?!?!?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Hamster and shredder combined make messy floor.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2004 7:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

If you cant find them, you can always purchase the from IBM, but im sure
they are pretty expensive there.

news:o pr95txc0qaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
> Thanks.
>
> I can't believe this - the simplest of things - noone makes HVD
terminators?!?!?!?

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:39:23 +0200, Johnson_dk
<johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:

> > Nope, Backup Exec(or most other prof. Backup appications) will handle
> > everything i, just remember to assign the loader a lower SCSI ID than
the
> > drive, then every think works fine (it sometimes works without, but if
you
> > do this there shuld be no prob. )
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Johnny
> >

> > "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o pr94exbioaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
> >> Forgot to ask (as you seem to be familiar with this drive) - do I need
any
> > software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
loader
> > requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for it yet
so
> > I can't test anything).

> > that.

> > be

> > the

> > complete

> > weird
> > not
> > aren't,

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...

> > specs.
I'm
> > special
> > wanting
> > like
> > page
> > would
> > as

> >> --
> >> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
> >> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> >> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
> >>
> >> It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to
the
> > wall.
> >

> --
> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>
> Hamster and shredder combined make messy floor.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2004 2:53:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:50:54 +0200, Johnson_dk <johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:

> If you cant find them, you can always purchase the from IBM, but im sure
> they are pretty expensive there.
>

> Best regards
>
> Johnny
>

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o pr95txc0qaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I can't believe this - the simplest of things - noone makes HVD
> terminators?!?!?!?
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:39:23 +0200, Johnson_dk
> <johnson_dk_fjern_dette@post.tele.dk> wrote:
>>

>> > Nope, Backup Exec(or most other prof. Backup appications) will handle
>> > everything i, just remember to assign the loader a lower SCSI ID than
> the
>> > drive, then every think works fine (it sometimes works without, but if
> you
>> > do this there shuld be no prob. )
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> >
>> > Johnny
>> >

>> > "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > news:o pr94exbioaiowgp@blue.mshome.net...
> any
>> > software or will the backup software handle it ok? I'm thinking the
> loader
>> > requires a speial driver? (I haven't received the SCSI cable for it yet
> so
>> > I can't test anything).

>> > that.

>> > be
> the

> is
>> > the

>> > complete

>> > weird
>> > not
> error
> get
>> > aren't,

> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/sstealth/en/ug...

> and
>> > specs.
> I'm
>> > special
>> > wanting
> systems
>> > like
>> > page
>> > would
> automatically
>> > as

> the
>> > wall.
>> >

>> --
>> 13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
>> 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
>> 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
>>
>> Hamster and shredder combined make messy floor.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Lemon entry my dear Watson.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2004 4:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.

Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 29, 2004 1:43:05 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:31:28 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.
>
> Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?

Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?

And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it creates less mess.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a watercooled dual 3.2GHz silent Athlon with 512GB of watercooled Raid.

Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 29, 2004 9:26:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:43:05 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:31:28 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Can't see one on the site, but I'll give them a ring on monday. Thanks.
>>
>> Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?
>
>Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?
>
>And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it creates less mess.

Ever consider thinking before you post?

I am 100% sure your monitor isn't big enough to hold all the
followups for many posts if they'd not been trimmed.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 29, 2004 10:37:21 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:26:16 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:43:05 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Either of you stupid top posters ever consider trimming?
>>
>> Ever considered getting a monitor big enough?
>>
>> And I ain't a top poster, I'm a "same as the last method" poster, it creates less mess.
>
> Ever consider thinking before you post?
>
> I am 100% sure your monitor isn't big enough to hold all the
> followups for many posts if they'd not been trimmed.

I can see this much

,

..

..
..

..

..
..

..

..

..

..

..
..
..

..
..

..

..

..

..

..
..

..

..
To here.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a watercooled dual 3.2GHz silent Athlon with 512GB of watercooled Raid.

Wedding rings: the world's smallest handcuffs.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 30, 2004 4:15:37 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:25:24 +0100, Peter Hucker wrote:

> I did not CHOOSE to post 184 lines. I just didn't snip as there wasn't anything getting in the way.

Idiot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 30, 2004 7:56:06 AM

<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>I did not CHOOSE to post 184 lines.

If you clicked the send button on a 184 line message then it was
your choice. Half-baked excuses do nothing but reflect poorly on
your judgement.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 30, 2004 4:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:15:37 GMT, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:25:24 +0100, Peter Hucker wrote:
>>
>>> I did not CHOOSE to post 184 lines. I just didn't snip as there wasn't anything getting in the way.
>>
>> Idiot.
>
>They're in YOUR, way,

What do you mean by "in my way", moron?

>YOU snip them.

Idiot.

>I can't predict what other people want.

Posting unreadable garbage is obviously stupid.

>You're ray's brother aren't you?

Idiot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2004 4:43:24 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:35:20 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Idiot.
>>
>> They're in YOUR, way,
>
> What do you mean by "in my way", moron?

I mean YOU are the one complaining about them, god you're SLOW!

>> YOU snip them.
>
> Idiot.

You think EVERY poster has to snip? Think about it. Only 1 person in a 2 person conversation snips, the posts only get 1 quotation too long!

>> I can't predict what other people want.
>
> Posting unreadable garbage is obviously stupid.

You managed to reply to it, didn't you?

>> You're ray's brother aren't you?
>
> Idiot.

QED!

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a quad watercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with a half terrabyte Raid.

Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2004 4:43:51 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:56:06 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:25:24 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> I did not CHOOSE to post 184 lines.
>
> If you clicked the send button on a 184 line message then it was
> your choice. Half-baked excuses do nothing but reflect poorly on
> your judgement.

Grow up, this is a usenet chat thingy, not a bloody essay!

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a quad watercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with a half terrabyte Raid.

More than 10,000 people in England and Wales required professional treatment for injuries caused by home telephones in 2002.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2004 6:11:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:43:51 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:56:06 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:25:24 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
>> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I did not CHOOSE to post 184 lines.
>>
>> If you clicked the send button on a 184 line message then it was
>> your choice. Half-baked excuses do nothing but reflect poorly on
>> your judgement.
>
>Grow up, this is a usenet chat thingy, not a bloody essay!

Another half-baked excuse, another poor reflection on your
judgement.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 3, 2004 5:05:25 AM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:11:07 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:43:51 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:56:06 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>>> If you clicked the send button on a 184 line message then it was
>>> your choice. Half-baked excuses do nothing but reflect poorly on
>>> your judgement.
>>
>> Grow up, this is a usenet chat thingy, not a bloody essay!
>
> Another half-baked excuse, another poor reflection on your
> judgement.

You are a fool. Why do you think it's judgement?

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a quad watercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with a half terrabyte Raid.

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove, and it doesn't have that dangerous beak!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 6, 2004 4:54:18 PM

tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:48:34 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
><hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>And you've topposted and oversnipped, so I have no idea what you were replying about.
>
>Touche :)  - and point made for certain others.

Like OE-mutilated garbage, posted by on OE-using idiot, is about as
readable as text which has been deleted entirely?

>>See below for the request.
>
>Thankee. Enough of the faux flame gambit - but I have enjoyed your
>tags. Top, bottom and in-line posting all have a place - solely the
>subjective choice of the poster. But no matter what you choose,
>someone's gonna call you a sinner. Such is life.

Not a sinner, just stupid, lazy, and selfish.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 6, 2004 7:25:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>Thankee. Enough of the faux flame gambit - but I have enjoyed your
>>tags. Top, bottom and in-line posting all have a place - solely the
>>subjective choice of the poster. But no matter what you choose,
>>someone's gonna call you a sinner. Such is life.
>
>Not a sinner, just stupid, lazy, and selfish.

I'll note that, while rare, some top-posters make an effort at
communication, by providing some context in their responses, trimming
appropriately, or switching to in-line responses when appropriate.
Eric falls into this category.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 6, 2004 7:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "in my way", moron?
>
>I mean YOU are the one complaining about them,

Idiot. I would not have even responded to your huge ugly posts, if it
had not been to berate you for you laziness. It wouldn't do much good
for me to trim a post that I don't intend to send, now does it?
You've done the damage, posted the garbage, wasted the bandwidth, and
there's nothing I can do about it.

>god you're SLOW!

My wondering about your erroneous word usage does not make me "slow",
idiot. Rather ironic, from the fool who can't even figure out why
it's not good to send unreadable garbage all over usenet.

Don't you know you're stupid?

>>> YOU snip them.
>>
>> Idiot.
>
>You think EVERY poster has to snip? Think about it. Only 1 person in a 2 person conversation snips, the posts only get 1 quotation too long!

Yet, in this case, neither one of you stupid top posters snipped, as
is normal for top posters. Your hypothetic "if" is meaningless.

>>> I can't predict what other people want.
>>
>> Posting unreadable garbage is obviously stupid.
>
>You managed to reply to it, didn't you?

Idiot. Are you implying that the fact that someone complained somehow
makes your garbage-posting less stupid?

>>> You're ray's brother aren't you?
>>
>> Idiot.
>
>QED!

Idiot!

"Ray's brother" indeed. Whoever "Ray" is... I guess it's common for
top posters to expect others to work at understanding what the hell
they are talking about.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 9:20:57 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:54:18 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:48:34 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
>> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> And you've topposted and oversnipped, so I have no idea what you were replying about.
>>
>> Touche :)  - and point made for certain others.
>
> Like OE-mutilated garbage, posted by on OE-using idiot, is about as
> readable as text which has been deleted entirely?
>
>>> See below for the request.
>>
>> Thankee. Enough of the faux flame gambit - but I have enjoyed your
>> tags. Top, bottom and in-line posting all have a place - solely the
>> subjective choice of the poster. But no matter what you choose,
>> someone's gonna call you a sinner. Such is life.
>
> Not a sinner, just stupid, lazy, and selfish.

Nope, just not a sad loser who does nothing but replies to usenet all day long, perfectly formatted as though he was entering it into a high-flying magzine article.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

TV takes over your life when you could be doing useful things like smoking crack and stealing car stereos.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2004 10:22:13 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:53:40 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "in my way", moron?
>>
>> I mean YOU are the one complaining about them,
>
> Idiot. I would not have even responded to your huge ugly posts, if it
> had not been to berate you for you laziness. It wouldn't do much good
> for me to trim a post that I don't intend to send, now does it?
> You've done the damage, posted the garbage, wasted the bandwidth, and
> there's nothing I can do about it.

Bandwidth? What are you on a 1200 baud?

>> god you're SLOW!
>
> My wondering about your erroneous word usage does not make me "slow",
> idiot. Rather ironic, from the fool who can't even figure out why
> it's not good to send unreadable garbage all over usenet.
>
> Don't you know you're stupid?

I have no idea what you are referring to, as you have stupidly snipped the required context.

>>> Idiot.
>>
>> You think EVERY poster has to snip? Think about it. Only 1 person in a 2 person conversation snips, the posts only get 1 quotation too long!
>
> Yet, in this case, neither one of you stupid top posters snipped, as
> is normal for top posters. Your hypothetic "if" is meaningless.

I am not a top poster. Get that through your thick head.

And if two people are the only ones conversing at that moment, and neither cares about long unsnipped messages, then where lies the problem?

>>> Posting unreadable garbage is obviously stupid.
>>
>> You managed to reply to it, didn't you?
>
> Idiot. Are you implying that the fact that someone complained somehow
> makes your garbage-posting less stupid?

You said unreadable. But you read it. Clever that eh?

>>> Idiot.
>>
>> QED!
>
> Idiot!
>
> "Ray's brother" indeed. Whoever "Ray" is... I guess it's common for
> top posters to expect others to work at understanding what the hell
> they are talking about.

Someone with several socks, who can write nothing useful to anyone, but just writes IDIOT everywhere.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2004 10:45:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:20:57 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>Nope, just not a sad loser

Untrue.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2004 11:01:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:22:13 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Bandwidth? What are you on a 1200 baud?

Dear dumbass,
the aggregate bandwidth of the news server is constant, so when
dumbasses like you post 3-5+X as much as you should, EVERYONE'S
access is slower. Even if you have 35 T1s shoved up your ass you
still will have to wait longer. Additionally it increases
storage capacity needed, raising equipment costs in a
trickle-down effect, for anyone/everyone paying for news service
or internet/etc. that includes that service. It makes Google
searches slower and reading takes longer. In short, it's not
that there's no problem, rather that you're too stupid to
understand the problem.

<snip>

>Someone with several socks, who can write nothing useful to anyone, but just writes IDIOT everywhere.

.... but it's not just his opinion that you're an idiot...
You and your ego are a minority.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2004 5:44:22 AM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:45:22 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:20:57 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Nope, just not a sad loser
>
> Untrue.

Too much snippage, ignoring post.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

How does an Italian get into an honest business?
Through the skylight.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2004 5:45:22 AM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:01:39 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:22:13 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Bandwidth? What are you on a 1200 baud?
>

> Dear dumbass,
> the aggregate bandwidth of the news server is constant, so when
> dumbasses like you post 3-5+X as much as you should, EVERYONE'S
> access is slower. Even if you have 35 T1s shoved up your ass you
> still will have to wait longer. Additionally it increases
> storage capacity needed, raising equipment costs in a
> trickle-down effect, for anyone/everyone paying for news service
> or internet/etc. that includes that service. It makes Google
> searches slower and reading takes longer. In short, it's not
> that there's no problem, rather that you're too stupid to
> understand the problem.

Blah blah blah.,........ alt.binaries.*

> <snip>
>
>> Someone with several socks, who can write nothing useful to anyone, but just writes IDIOT everywhere.
>
> ... but it's not just his opinion that you're an idiot...
> You and your ego are a minority.

Boring twits like you who want textt perfect are the minoority. Go find something more interesting to do like a game of noughts and crosses.

--
13 parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 12, 2004 11:06:29 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:25:23 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Thankee. Enough of the faux flame gambit - but I have enjoyed your
>>> tags. Top, bottom and in-line posting all have a place - solely the
>>> subjective choice of the poster. But no matter what you choose,
>>> someone's gonna call you a sinner. Such is life.
>>
>> Not a sinner, just stupid, lazy, and selfish.
>
> I'll note that, while rare, some top-posters make an effort at
> communication, by providing some context in their responses, trimming
> appropriately, or switching to in-line responses when appropriate.
> Eric falls into this category.

Get out of the 19th century.

--
FOURTEEN - CHECK OUT THE BABY! parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

An Arab diplomat visiting the US for the first time was being wined and dined by the State Department. The Grand Emir was unused to the salt in American foods (french fries, cheeses, salami, anchovies etc.,) and was constantly sending his man-servant Abdul to fetch him a glass of water.
Time and again, Abdul would scamper off and return with a glass of water, but then came the time when he returned empty-handed. "Abdul, you son of an ugly camel, where is my water??" demanded the Grand Emir.
"A thousand pardons, O Illustrious One," stammered the wretched Abdul, "white man sit on well."
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 12, 2004 11:36:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:06:29 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
<hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Get out of the 19th century.

Check your calendar, Peter. 21st century posters don't agree.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 13, 2004 1:23:17 AM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:36:05 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:06:29 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
> <hucker@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Get out of the 19th century.
>

> Check your calendar, Peter. 21st century posters don't agree.

Not my fault religion screwed up our calendar system. I of course meant the 20th century.

--
FOURTEEN - CHECK OUT THE BABY! parrots and rising http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com
Served from a pentawatercooled dual 2.8GHz silent Athlon with half TB RAID.

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
!