dvd burner

I'm apologizing if that's not the right group, I was looking for correct
group and this seem to be the right one.

I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
which aren't.

Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.

What do you recommend?

From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
pretty good, and is not very expensive.

PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
Also do I need different media for those formats?
--
takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com

Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

>I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
>so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
>which aren't.
>
>Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
>record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
>
>What do you recommend?

I like Pioneer. The DVR-107 is good.

>From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
>pretty good, and is not very expensive.

I've seen others recommending Lite-On drives, but I've never used one.

>PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
>Also do I need different media for those formats?

You can find a lot of information at these websites:

http://www.dvddemystified.com
http://www.videohelp.com

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:34:29 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>>I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
>>so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
>>which aren't.
>>Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
>>record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
>>What do you recommend?
> I like Pioneer. The DVR-107 is good.

It's little bit more expensive than Lite-On I mentioned, what's are the
advantages?

I made a comparision and is looking like that (first is lite-on then
pioneer you mentioned):

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW

Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM

Interface: EIDE/ATAPI
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE

Buffer: 2 MB
Buffer: 2MB

OS Support: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE

Features: SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, VAS to reduce
vibration & noise during recording & reading
Features: Supports Buffer Under Run protection, Precision Recording
Technology

Price: $67.99
Price: $84.99

Looks like only difference is in speed recording and features, what's the
speed of 2x DVD or 4x DVD?

How long it does take you to burn dvd?

>>From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
>>pretty good, and is not very expensive.
> I've seen others recommending Lite-On drives, but I've never used one.
>
>>PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
>>Also do I need different media for those formats?
>
> You can find a lot of information at these websites:
>
> http://www.dvddemystified.com
> http://www.videohelp.com

thank you

--

Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:34:29 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> >>I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
> >>so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
> >>which aren't.
> >>Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
> >>record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
> >>What do you recommend?
> > I like Pioneer. The DVR-107 is good.
>
> It's little bit more expensive than Lite-On I mentioned, what's are the
> advantages?
>
> I made a comparision and is looking like that (first is lite-on then
> pioneer you mentioned):
>
> Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
> Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
>
> Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
> Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
>
> Interface: EIDE/ATAPI
> Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
>
> Buffer: 2 MB
> Buffer: 2MB
>
> OS Support: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
> OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
>
> Features: SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, VAS to reduce
> vibration & noise during recording & reading
> Features: Supports Buffer Under Run protection, Precision Recording
> Technology
>
> Price: $67.99
> Price: $84.99
>
> Looks like only difference is in speed recording and features, what's the
> speed of 2x DVD or 4x DVD?
>
> How long it does take you to burn dvd?
>
> >>From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
> >>pretty good, and is not very expensive.
> > I've seen others recommending Lite-On drives, but I've never used one.
> >
> >>PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
> >>Also do I need different media for those formats?
> >
> > You can find a lot of information at these websites:
> >
> > http://www.dvddemystified.com
> > http://www.videohelp.com
>
> thank you
>
> --
> takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
> EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com
> (remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
> *http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u¿ywaniu botów po polsku*

Hello, Dariusz:

Is recording speed truly an issue, for you? The most dependable "burns"
are made at 1x (according to many computer experts), anyway.

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

On 28 Jun 2004 00:18:53 EDT, John Turco wrote:

> Is recording speed truly an issue, for you? The most dependable "burns"
> are made at 1x (according to many computer experts), anyway.

Well in case of cd burners it was, when I was buying my first cdburner I
also didn't know much facts about it. I bought cd burn that was able to
burn at 8x, and didn't even had a buffer underrun protection. So basically
when I was trying to burn at speed 8x sometimes I got errors.
So I was burning using 4x just to be sure, it took about 20 minutes, by
that time I couldn't use my computer. 20 minutes without a computer is a
lot for me ;)
Only one good mistake I accidently made was that I bought CD-RW burner, and
that was pretty useful for me :)
This burner also cost me almost $300 (that was maybe 3 years ago :) looks
like I made worst choice in choosing burner (I didn't ask anyone for
advice).

I don't really want to make same mistake with dvd burner, so that's why I'm
asking you for advice :)

--

Dariusz Kuli?ski / TaKeDa <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

> It's little bit more expensive than Lite-On I mentioned, what's are the
> advantages?

The Pioneer DVR-107D, when installed as an internal ATAPI drive, shows
up as "Apple Supported/Shipped" in 10.3.4 and works without needing any
patches or hacks.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:43:54 GMT, Neill Massello wrote:

>> It's little bit more expensive than Lite-On I mentioned, what's are the
>> advantages?
> The Pioneer DVR-107D, when installed as an internal ATAPI drive, shows
> up as "Apple Supported/Shipped" in 10.3.4 and works without needing any
> patches or hacks.

I don't really understand you, what does apple have to do with dvd burner?
Or did you meant it works perfectly fine with apple hardware? Anyway I want
to use it with PC.

BTW: Could somebody tell me what is "Precision Recording
Technology" (probably data will stay longer?)

--

John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

> The most dependable "burns" are made at 1x

No longer necessarily true with current high-speed drives and media.

Dariusz Kuli?ski / TaKeDa <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

> what does apple have to do with dvd burner?

Apologies. Wrong newsgroup.

Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

[snip]

>Looks like only difference is in speed recording and features, what's the
>speed of 2x DVD or 4x DVD?
>
>How long it does take you to burn dvd?

It would take around 30 minutes to burn a full DVD at 2x and around 15
minutes at 4x (as far as burn time is concerned, the "x" speed is
roughly equivalent to that for CDs). If you want to verify your burns
(which I usually do), you can just about double those times. I
haven't bought any 8x blank DVDs yet, but it should take about 7 to 8
minutes to burn one of those.

If you want to make DVDs to play in a standalone player, DVD-R is
supposed to be a bit more widely compatible with those than DVD+R.
And the Pioneer unit could give you twice the burning speed with DVD-R
discs (based on the statistics you cited).

DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>Looks like only difference is in speed recording and features, what's the
>>speed of 2x DVD or 4x DVD?
>>
>>How long it does take you to burn dvd?
>
> It would take around 30 minutes to burn a full DVD at 2x and around 15
> minutes at 4x (as far as burn time is concerned, the "x" speed is
> roughly equivalent to that for CDs). If you want to verify your burns
> (which I usually do), you can just about double those times. I
> haven't bought any 8x blank DVDs yet, but it should take about 7 to 8
> minutes to burn one of those.
>
> If you want to make DVDs to play in a standalone player, DVD-R is
> supposed to be a bit more widely compatible with those than DVD+R.

That really depends on which church the person providing the statistics
belongs to. Either side can "prove" that their technology is more
compatible. In practice most standalone players will take either, but some
will only take "-" and some will only take "+" and some of the older ones
won't take either. If you're targetting a specific player (i.e. the one
sitting on top of your GF's TV) then it's better to try both and see if it
has a preference than to just assume that one or the other is going to be
compatible based on statistics.

> And the Pioneer unit could give you twice the burning speed with DVD-R
> discs (based on the statistics you cited).

There are also intangibles. Pioneer was one of the pioneers of DVD
recording technology--they were making DVD burners back when a DVD burner
was an expensive piece of machinery that only substantial businesses and
the occasional zillionaire could afford. They thus have a few more
generations of development behind theirs than do most of the others.
Whether this makes a difference in the real world today I don't personally
know.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:27:55 -0700, Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa
<spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

>Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
>record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
>
>What do you recommend?
>
>From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
>pretty good, and is not very expensive.

Newegg has the NEC 2500A (8x) and 2510a (8x dual layer) for $70 and
$85, respectively. I've got an older NEC 1100a +R 4X that's worked
very well for me, so I'm trying out these newer ones. Haven't had
them long enough for meaningful results yet, but the buzz is that
they're good writers and picky readers.

>PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
>Also do I need different media for those formats?

Most burners support both +/- formats these days. You do need
different media. I've only used +r, with good compatibility on
various DVD players.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:48:24 -0700, Neil Maxwell wrote:

>>Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
>>record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
>>What do you recommend?
>>From what I've been looking Lite-On LDW811S (according to reviews) is
>>pretty good, and is not very expensive.
> Newegg has the NEC 2500A (8x) and 2510a (8x dual layer) for $70 and
> $85, respectively. I've got an older NEC 1100a +R 4X that's worked
> very well for me, so I'm trying out these newer ones. Haven't had
> them long enough for meaningful results yet, but the buzz is that
> they're good writers and picky readers.

Looks like 2510a seem to be the best choice (for me) so far (according to
paremeters).

>>PS What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
>>Also do I need different media for those formats?
> Most burners support both +/- formats these days. You do need
> different media. I've only used +r, with good compatibility on
> various DVD players.

I thought the difference between +R/-R is just how it's written, thanks for
this info.

--

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:45:50 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>>Looks like only difference is in speed recording and features, what's the
>>speed of 2x DVD or 4x DVD?
>>How long it does take you to burn dvd?
> It would take around 30 minutes to burn a full DVD at 2x and around 15
> minutes at 4x (as far as burn time is concerned, the "x" speed is
> roughly equivalent to that for CDs). If you want to verify your burns
> (which I usually do), you can just about double those times. I
> haven't bought any 8x blank DVDs yet, but it should take about 7 to 8
> minutes to burn one of those.
>
> If you want to make DVDs to play in a standalone player, DVD-R is
> supposed to be a bit more widely compatible with those than DVD+R.
> And the Pioneer unit could give you twice the burning speed with DVD-R
> discs (based on the statistics you cited).

Thanks for your advice (telling what's the speed of burning will be really
helpful, since I have something to base my decision on)

--

"Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa" <spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote in message
> I'm apologizing if that's not the right group, I was looking for correct
> group and this seem to be the right one.

Wrong group.

> I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
> so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
> which aren't.

dvdrhelp.com

> Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
> record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.

You seem to think dvd players are universal playing devices. not.

> What do you recommend?

That you go elsewhere for information. Consider waiting for dual layer
technology to mature before buying a dvd writer.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:03:09 -0400, Lil' Dave wrote:

>> I'm apologizing if that's not the right group, I was looking for correct
>> group and this seem to be the right one.
> Wrong group.

Could you say why, and recommend which one I should post?

My understanding is:
comp.sys - computer systems
ibm.pc - I have IBM compatible computer (PC)
hardware.storage - dvd burner is hardware and is dedicated to storing data

My problem is that there few groups that I were possibly related but I
think this one matches best.

>> I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
>> so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
>> which aren't.
> dvdrhelp.com

Thanks, but I already found that website, and couple people here also
recommend it. But looks like it's best when you know what specific
parameters. When I was writing first post I really didn't know mych (i.e.
how long takes to burn using 2x or 4x what's difference between DVD-R and
DVD+R. Thanks to people who replied to my post, I got a lot of information
which I can use to select optimal DVD burner for me.

>> Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
>> record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
> You seem to think dvd players are universal playing devices. not.

???

>> What do you recommend?
> That you go elsewhere for information. Consider waiting for dual layer
> technology to mature before buying a dvd writer.

I think you're right, but this will probably take some time, and I really
would want to buy dvd burner now.

--
takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com
(remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
*http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u¿ywaniu botów po polsku*

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:48:47 -0700, Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa
<spam_goes_here@takeda.tk> wrote:

>I think you're right, but this will probably take some time, and I really
>would want to buy dvd burner now.

I'd suggest not worrying about the DL stuff as it is expensive media
and slow burning at present. By the time it's useful, you'll be on a
second burner, probably 16x. However, newer burners are all DL now so
you may end up with it anyway ;)

I suggest you go for the 8X +R/-R Nec 2500A burner assuming you have
a good DVD-Rom for reading already.

If you don't have another reader, I'd go for a Lite-On burner which
also reads well, has a great support group, and interesting special
utility software.

The pioneer and plextor burners are good as well, but I'd go with one
of the top two because they work well and cost less.

I'd also recommend ritek G04 media burned at 4x speed. It's cheap and
reliable at 4x speeds. You can burn it faster, but results may vary.
It's worked in all three different stand alone DVD players I've had.

4x is about 15min, 8x is only about 10min. It's 8x only at the end of
the burn so you don't see the "half the time" that you'd expect.

Try Newegg.com and shop by brand for the Nec and Lite-On.

I'd also recommend Nero burning software, and I think you can get it
bundled with the Lite-On drive.

Price ranges are about $70-99 for these drives with and without DL and
software.

Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2004 00:18:53 EDT, John Turco wrote:
>
> > Is recording speed truly an issue, for you? The most dependable "burns"
> > are made at 1x (according to many computer experts), anyway.
>
> Well in case of cd burners it was, when I was buying my first cdburner I
> also didn't know much facts about it. I bought cd burn that was able to
> burn at 8x, and didn't even had a buffer underrun protection. So basically
> when I was trying to burn at speed 8x sometimes I got errors.
> So I was burning using 4x just to be sure, it took about 20 minutes, by
> that time I couldn't use my computer. 20 minutes without a computer is a
> lot for me ;)
> Only one good mistake I accidently made was that I bought CD-RW burner, and
> that was pretty useful for me :)
> This burner also cost me almost $300 (that was maybe 3 years ago :) looks
> like I made worst choice in choosing burner (I didn't ask anyone for
> advice).
>
> I don't really want to make same mistake with dvd burner, so that's why I'm
> asking you for advice :)
>
> --
> takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
> EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com
> (remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
> *http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u¿ywaniu botów po polsku*

Hello, Dariusz:

Ask away -- we're here to help! :-J

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Dariusz Kuliñski / TaKeDa wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:03:09 -0400, Lil' Dave wrote:
>
> >> I'm apologizing if that's not the right group, I was looking for correct
> >> group and this seem to be the right one.
> > Wrong group.
>
> Could you say why, and recommend which one I should post?
>
> My understanding is:
> comp.sys - computer systems
> ibm.pc - I have IBM compatible computer (PC)
> hardware.storage - dvd burner is hardware and is dedicated to storing data
>
> My problem is that there few groups that I were possibly related but I
> think this one matches best.
>
> >> I want to buy dvd burner, but since I never had one and never burned dvd's
> >> so I don't know which parameters I should look for which are important and
> >> which aren't.
> > dvdrhelp.com
>
> Thanks, but I already found that website, and couple people here also
> recommend it. But looks like it's best when you know what specific
> parameters. When I was writing first post I really didn't know mych (i.e.
> how long takes to burn using 2x or 4x what's difference between DVD-R and
> DVD+R. Thanks to people who replied to my post, I got a lot of information
> which I can use to select optimal DVD burner for me.
>
> >> Basically I want dvd burner that won't be expensive, and will allow me to
> >> record DVD's that are playable on my dvd player.
> > You seem to think dvd players are universal playing devices. not.
>
> ???
>
> >> What do you recommend?
> > That you go elsewhere for information. Consider waiting for dual layer
> > technology to mature before buying a dvd writer.
>
> I think you're right, but this will probably take some time, and I really
> would want to buy dvd burner now.
>
> --
> takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
> EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com
> (remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
> *http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u¿ywaniu botów po polsku*

Hello, Dariusz:

You're quite correct, this >is< an appropriate place to post
(storage-related) DVD queries. Nonetheless, here's an even more
pertinent one:

Good luck!

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:07:29 -0700, tough_crowd@nospam.com wrote:

>>I think you're right, but this will probably take some time, and I really
>>would want to buy dvd burner now.
> I'd suggest not worrying about the DL stuff as it is expensive media
> and slow burning at present. By the time it's useful, you'll be on a
> second burner, probably 16x. However, newer burners are all DL now so
> you may end up with it anyway ;)
>
> I suggest you go for the 8X +R/-R Nec 2500A burner assuming you have
> a good DVD-Rom for reading already.
>
> If you don't have another reader, I'd go for a Lite-On burner which
> also reads well, has a great support group, and interesting special
> utility software.
>
> The pioneer and plextor burners are good as well, but I'd go with one
> of the top two because they work well and cost less.
>
> I'd also recommend ritek G04 media burned at 4x speed. It's cheap and
> reliable at 4x speeds. You can burn it faster, but results may vary.
> It's worked in all three different stand alone DVD players I've had.
>
> 4x is about 15min, 8x is only about 10min. It's 8x only at the end of
> the burn so you don't see the "half the time" that you'd expect.
>
> Try Newegg.com and shop by brand for the Nec and Lite-On.
>
> I'd also recommend Nero burning software, and I think you can get it
> bundled with the Lite-On drive.
>
> Price ranges are about $70-99 for these drives with and without DL and
> software.

I would like to thank everyone for help. My choice was NEC 2510A, and I
ordered it yesterday evening (PST). My computer already have dvd reader and
cd burner, unfortunately there is only space for two drives, so I guess I
will need to replace cd burner with dvd burner :)

Thanks again for help.

--
takeda@IRCnet.EFnet, ICQ# 15827691, TLEN: taked4
EMAIL: 6d3cq1u02@NOsneakemailSPAM.com
(remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
*http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u¿ywaniu botów po polsku*

tough_crowd@nospam.com wrote in news:dna2e0dqa5uigs605mfh2e9qj4mv2rt7ni@
4ax.com:

> I'd also recommend Nero burning software, and I think you can get it
> bundled with the Lite-On drive.

As far as software goes, Nero works, but you'll need to couple it with
DVDShrink or another program to do the compressing before you can burn
anything. Lots of people do that, and it does work, but I question whether
it's the best choice. I recently downloaded 123 Copy DVD, which AFAIK is
the only remaining full-service burner. It decrypts, shrinks and burns.
There's a free trial on Download.com, and the full version is around 30
bucks. The last time I checked the price on Nero, it was somewhere around
70. 123 Copy is a good program, and I've been very pleased with it so far.

Hope that helps,
W. Blake

Today, two choices:

Dirt-cheap: eg. Staples this week for the 8x burner at $49.
+ cheap
- burns may not be as reliable

Expensive but great: eg. Plextor 12x px-712a $199
+ one of the best burn PI/PO results around, esp. good at 8x+ burns
and better than the other burners. see www.cdrinfo.com review.
- expensive