laptop with external monitor question

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need to get my laptop to display only on an external monitor. I select
CRT only in BIOS (it has LCD only, CRT only or BOTH settings). This works
fine until XP boots at which point XP overrides the BIOS setting and turns
on the LCD and shuts off the CRT.

Laptop is an NEC Versa LX+ with an ATI RAGE 3D LT PRO chip set. I've tried
the video driver included in XP and also the driver available here:
5.00.2500.5772 (XP_5772)
http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rprow2k.htm

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've also tried going into device manager and disabling the Default Monitor
(it shows two of them for some reason so I disabled them both) and left the
Plug and Play monitor enabled. Rebooted, no noticable results. Device
managed showed red X's through the two Default Monitors.

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I need to get my laptop to display only on an external monitor. I select
> CRT only in BIOS (it has LCD only, CRT only or BOTH settings). This works
> fine until XP boots at which point XP overrides the BIOS setting and turns
> on the LCD and shuts off the CRT.
>
> Laptop is an NEC Versa LX+ with an ATI RAGE 3D LT PRO chip set. I've
tried
> the video driver included in XP and also the driver available here:
> 5.00.2500.5772 (XP_5772)
> http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rprow2k.htm

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

further info... the only way i can get the external monitor to work AT ALL
is to enable it via the 5772 display driver to extend my desktop onto it.
It won't even work as just an external monitor mirroring whats on the LCD
desktop.