Partition table recovery knowing cylinders

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks in advantage for any help and please excuse the cross-posting due to
my ignorance about proper group to post to....

I've deleted my partition table.
I've recovered this map for starting cylinders:
> Cyl Side Sec
> 0 0 1
> 0 1 1
> 447 0 1
> 483 0 1
> 786 0 1
> 819 0 1
> 830 0 1
> 875 0 1

Before the problem, I got a dual boot (win2000 + linux)
and I remember I got at least:
Fat32 3Giga (the first one, I'm sure, and this still works now)
NTFS swap (the second?)
some NTFS partition
one linux partitions
one linux swap.

The problem is: how to cross-correlate cylinders and partitions?

And how to know where an extended partition was?

Now (with fdisk) I've set1-446 fat32 (works!!)
447-482 NTFS (says: "do you want to format it" while trying to access)
483-785 NTFS (same thing)

Moreover, I got this message
"the parameter is incorrect"
while trying to open the only inportant directory in fat32 partition
(where w2000 is. The O/S works, but only "ancient" directory are readable)

Please help.
Best regards,

Alex
1 answer Last reply
More about partition table recovery knowing cylinders
  1. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Behemot <behemot@tiscali.it> wrote:

    > Thanks in advantage for any help and please excuse the cross-posting due to
    > my ignorance about proper group to post to....
    >
    > I've deleted my partition table.
    > I've recovered this map for starting cylinders:
    > > Cyl Side Sec
    > > 0 0 1
    > > 0 1 1
    > > 447 0 1
    > > 483 0 1
    > > 786 0 1
    > > 819 0 1
    > > 830 0 1
    > > 875 0 1
    >
    > Before the problem, I got a dual boot (win2000 + linux)
    > and I remember I got at least:
    > Fat32 3Giga (the first one, I'm sure, and this still works now)
    > NTFS swap (the second?)
    > some NTFS partition
    > one linux partitions
    > one linux swap.
    >
    > The problem is: how to cross-correlate cylinders and partitions?
    >
    > And how to know where an extended partition was?
    >
    > Now (with fdisk) I've set1-446 fat32 (works!!)
    > 447-482 NTFS (says: "do you want to format it" while trying to access)
    > 483-785 NTFS (same thing)
    >
    > Moreover, I got this message
    > "the parameter is incorrect"
    > while trying to open the only inportant directory in fat32 partition
    > (where w2000 is. The O/S works, but only "ancient" directory are readable)

    Get RESQDISK from www.resq.co.il/resq.php, and run from a boot floppy RESQDISK
    /REBUILD. ResQdisk will search the drive for existing partitions and show a
    table with the content of every extended partition sector that it finds. You
    can either save the report to floppy or take notes of what it shows. Do not let
    RESQDISK write down a new partition table, use it as an assessment tool instead.

    RESQDISK also has its internal routines to analyze boot and partition sectors.

    If you know what you are doing, then you should be able to rebuild the partition
    table from the results obtained.

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

Data Recovery Partition Table Storage