Help setting up my new Hitachi SATA drive, need some.

How many cables do i need to get the drive running one or 2 ? i have
not received the drive yet so i don't know if it comes with any cables
?

I got my abit NF7-S 2.0 board ready and it comes with i think a SATA
cable i thinks thats like the IDE ribbon cable, but will i need a
power cable as well ?

Anyone know ?

Just would like to have it ?

Thanks.

"OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> How many cables do i need to get the drive running one or 2 ? i have
> not received the drive yet so i don't know if it comes with any cables
> ?

One SATA cable and a power connector cable. There are two possible power
connector types and some current model SATA drives have both type power
connectors(only connect one). One of the power connectors types is the
standard 4 pin molex that have always been used and likely your powersupply
has one ready to plug in. Otherwise you'll need an adapter cable/wire that
goes from that 4pin molex to the new style SATA power connector. Check the
Maxtor site and find out what power connector is on the drive and then
see if a cable might come with the drive itself.

Late model mobos that support SATA will come with such a power cable
adapter. Late model power supplies will have SATA connectors as well as the
standard 4pin molex builtin.

> I got my abit NF7-S 2.0 board ready and it comes with i think a SATA
> cable i thinks thats like the IDE ribbon cable,

No, the SATA data cable is small in crosssectional dimensions(often bright
red) unlike a ribbon and has small connectors(often black) unlike a ribbon.
Find the SATA connector on the mobo and then find the cable that plugs into
it. Look for a power cable maybe 1-3 inches long that has a 4pin molex on
one end and a smaller flatter connector on the other end; that's the SATA
power adapter which may not be needed anyway.

> but will i need a
> power cable as well ?

The Abit will most likely come with a power adapter cable too but you might
not need it.

Is it ok that iam more confused now :)

Just had a look at the cable and the connector on the board is a 7 pin
plug, and the cable would be a 7 whatever cable, that shed any light
on the matter ?

Just like to know if this cable is the only one needed, will prob try
to setup the drive with just that cable and see if it works if it
works prob don't need the other power cables ?

Heres a url to the drive i got maybe this will help.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200310/20031007HDS722525VLSA80_1.html

Ok thanks for all the help.

Bye.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:55:35 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
<ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> How many cables do i need to get the drive running one or 2 ? i have
>> not received the drive yet so i don't know if it comes with any cables
>> ?
>
>One SATA cable and a power connector cable. There are two possible power
>connector types and some current model SATA drives have both type power
>connectors(only connect one). One of the power connectors types is the
>standard 4 pin molex that have always been used and likely your powersupply
>has one ready to plug in. Otherwise you'll need an adapter cable/wire that
>goes from that 4pin molex to the new style SATA power connector. Check the
>Maxtor site and find out what power connector is on the drive and then
>see if a cable might come with the drive itself.
>
>Late model mobos that support SATA will come with such a power cable
>adapter. Late model power supplies will have SATA connectors as well as the
>standard 4pin molex builtin.
>
>> I got my abit NF7-S 2.0 board ready and it comes with i think a SATA
>> cable i thinks thats like the IDE ribbon cable,
>
>No, the SATA data cable is small in crosssectional dimensions(often bright
>red) unlike a ribbon and has small connectors(often black) unlike a ribbon.
>Find the SATA connector on the mobo and then find the cable that plugs into
>it. Look for a power cable maybe 1-3 inches long that has a 4pin molex on
>one end and a smaller flatter connector on the other end; that's the SATA
>power adapter which may not be needed anyway.
>
>> but will i need a
>> power cable as well ?
>
>The Abit will most likely come with a power adapter cable too but you might
>not need it.

The board did not come with a SATA power cable, but from what ive been
reading i can just plug in a molex like any old drive and it will be
fine.

Though i will get a proper SATA power cable, even though its still a
molex connection its connected to just not pluged into the molex
connecter on the drive ?????, SATA is a funny old thing is it not :)

Should get the drive tomorrow then i can have some fun installing xp
on it :( got any tips doing that ?

Thanks again.

OCZ Guy wrote:

> The board did not come with a SATA power cable, but from what ive been
> reading i can just plug in a molex like any old drive and it will be
> fine.
>
> Though i will get a proper SATA power cable, even though its still a
> molex connection its connected to just not pluged into the molex
> connecter on the drive ?????, SATA is a funny old thing is it not :)

There's no benefit to using an SATA power cable unless the drive does not
have a Molex power connector.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <5eh5e0pvu8tdefj3ji53viaupklh6k4acf@4ax.com>,
ModenMr@yahoo.com.au says...

> The board did not come with a SATA power cable, but from what ive been
> reading i can just plug in a molex like any old drive and it will be
> fine.
>
> Though i will get a proper SATA power cable, even though its still a
> molex connection its connected to just not pluged into the molex
> connecter on the drive ?????, SATA is a funny old thing is it not :)
>
> Should get the drive tomorrow then i can have some fun installing xp
> on it :( got any tips doing that ?

The few SATA drives that I've ordered recently all come
with both SATA power connectors (long and flat) and the
old-style Molex power connector.

Either will work, just don't hook them both up at the
same time.

(From what I've heard, they're including the old-style
Molex connectors as a stop-gap measure until most PC
power-supplies come with SATA power connectors.)

Okie :)

"Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b4ceccb6bb03ca1989930@news-50.giganews.com...
> In article <5eh5e0pvu8tdefj3ji53viaupklh6k4acf@4ax.com>, ModenMr@yahoo.com.au says...
> >
> > The board did not come with a SATA power cable, but from what ive been
> > reading i can just plug in a molex like any old drive and it will be fine.
> >
> > Though i will get a proper SATA power cable, even though its still a
> > molex connection its connected to just not pluged into the molex
> > connecter on the drive ?????, SATA is a funny old thing is it not :)
> >
> > Should get the drive tomorrow then i can have some fun installing xp
> > on it :( got any tips doing that ?
> >

> The few SATA drives that I've ordered recently all come
> with both SATA power connectors (long and flat) and the
> old-style Molex power connector.
>
> Either will work, just don't hook them both up at the same time.
>
> (From what I've heard, they're including the old-style
> Molex connectors as a stop-gap measure until most PC
> power-supplies come with SATA power connectors.)

The sata power connector is for use in backplanes, the molex connector
for any other use.