approx. what temperature causes pain to human skin?

Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help me.
What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
seconds contact?)

cheers
alex

"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help
me.
> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
> seconds contact?)

If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
for 30 seconds then it's too hot.

Alex Hunsley wrote:

> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help me.
> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
> seconds contact?)
>
> cheers
> alex

Buy yourself a soldering workstation with temp. controlled iron.

Switch it up to 500deg. C.

Hold the business end of the iron.

Switch it on.

When you drop it, take note of the temperature it has reached.

--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:57:59 +0100, Alex Hunsley <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:
> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help me.
> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
> seconds contact?)

If I remember correctly, the commercial max temperature spec of 85C was
chosen as a safe temperature for people so it probably gets painful in the
80-85C range.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
<ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help
>me.
>> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
>> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
>> seconds contact?)
>
>If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
>for 30 seconds then it's too hot.

Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.

If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
hot...

Marc

Marc de Vries wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
> <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>>"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>>> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help
>>me.
>>> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
>>> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
>>> seconds contact?)
>>
>>If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
>>for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>
> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
>
> If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
> drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
> hot...

If the drive capsules are that hot there's something wrong with the cooling.
I've never encountered a drive that was too hot to touch in a purpose-built
server from any of the major players. 50C on the surface of the chips
maybe.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Marc de Vries wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
> <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>>"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help
>>
>>me.
>>
>>>What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
>>>needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
>>>seconds contact?)
>>
>>If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
>>for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>

> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.

Interesting. A tech guy at my local computer shop said around 45 degrees C or
above gets uncomfortable to the skin...

J. Clarke wrote:

> Marc de Vries wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
>><ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message

>>>me.

>>>If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
>>>for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>>
>>Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
>>It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
>>temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
>>definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
>>
>>If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
>>drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
>>hot...
>

> If the drive capsules are that hot there's something wrong with the cooling.
> I've never encountered a drive that was too hot to touch in a purpose-built
> server from any of the major players. 50C on the surface of the chips
> maybe.
>

>>Marc

I'm thinking of my MaxLine Plus II drive. The chip surfaces definitely get very
hot, but a lot of heat ends up on the other side of the drive and the sides of
the drive, making it very hot.

This drive has operating temperatures up to 55C. Now, does this means that any
temperature it gets to (of its own accord) that is <55 is ok, or could it still
be faulty? The disk just seems to get too hot. Reviews of this disk reveal that
it should get 20degrees above ambient temperature, but I'm pretty sure my disk
is getting hotter than that....

alex

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:57:59 +0100, Alex Hunsley
<lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:

}What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
}needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
}seconds contact?)

For hot water to cause a burn (scald), it takes something like 130-135F
(54.4-57.2C).

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:48:34 +0100, Alex Hunsley
<lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>>>If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it comfortably
>>>for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>>

>> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
>> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
>> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
>> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
>
>Interesting. A tech guy at my local computer shop said around 45 degrees C or
>above gets uncomfortable to the skin...

Well, I don't know the exact temperature when it gets painful. So,
there is some margin of error in that 50 degrees. I just remember that
it is suprisingly close to your body temperature.

Probably because such temperatures are already pretty unhealthy for
the cells in your body. Proteins start to change at temperatures like
45 and 50 degrees. (some a bit lower some a bit higher)

Harddisk specifications state maximum ambient temperatures of 55
degrees. The HD itself will be warmer with ambient temperatures like
that.

Marc

In article <tn48e0d5ao21blj27qvhod7ub0elql13md@4ax.com>,
Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:48:34 +0100, Alex Hunsley
><lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
>>> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
>>> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
>>> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
>>
>>Interesting. A tech guy at my local computer shop said around 45 degrees C or
>>above gets uncomfortable to the skin...
>
>Well, I don't know the exact temperature when it gets painful. So,
>there is some margin of error in that 50 degrees. I just remember that
>it is suprisingly close to your body temperature.
>
>Probably because such temperatures are already pretty unhealthy for
>the cells in your body. Proteins start to change at temperatures like
>45 and 50 degrees. (some a bit lower some a bit higher)

Decades ago we were told in 2nd year botany that the thermal death
point of plants is around 42C, so I guess it depends how evolved you
are. ;-)

From the Australian kidsafe site:
http://www.greenweb.com.au/kidsafe/html/controlling_hot_water.html
<quoting>
Controlling Domestic Hot Water Temperatures
How Hot is TOO Hot?
60° C major burn in 1 second
55° C major burn in 10 seconds
50° C major burn in 5 minutes
</quoting>

>Harddisk specifications state maximum ambient temperatures of 55
>degrees. The HD itself will be warmer with ambient temperatures like
>that.

Interesting. The operating specs for both Dells of my personal
acquaintance (4100 and 4600) list the max operating ambient
temperature as 35C, so I guess something else must die before the HDD?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Phred wrote:

> Interesting. The operating specs for both Dells of my personal
> acquaintance (4100 and 4600) list the max operating ambient
> temperature as 35C, so I guess something else must die before the HDD?

No. 35C ambient plus the temperature rise between external air and
internal air means the HD internals and the CPU may be pushing 55C.

Good case design should have enough air flow to minimize the rise in
temp, but Dell -- like all commodity PC vendors -- is more likely to
minimize cost than temp.rise.
--
Cheers, Bob

Phred wrote:

> In article <tn48e0d5ao21blj27qvhod7ub0elql13md@4ax.com>,
> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:48:34 +0100, Alex Hunsley
>><lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:
>><snip>

>>>Interesting. A tech guy at my local computer shop said around 45 degrees
>>>C or above gets uncomfortable to the skin...
>>
>>Well, I don't know the exact temperature when it gets painful. So,
>>there is some margin of error in that 50 degrees. I just remember that
>>it is suprisingly close to your body temperature.
>>
>>Probably because such temperatures are already pretty unhealthy for
>>the cells in your body. Proteins start to change at temperatures like
>>45 and 50 degrees. (some a bit lower some a bit higher)
>
> Decades ago we were told in 2nd year botany that the thermal death
> point of plants is around 42C, so I guess it depends how evolved you
> are. ;-)
>
> From the Australian kidsafe site:
> http://www.greenweb.com.au/kidsafe/html/controlling_hot_water.html
> <quoting>
> Controlling Domestic Hot Water Temperatures
> How Hot is TOO Hot?
> 60° C major burn in 1 second
> 55° C major burn in 10 seconds
> 50° C major burn in 5 minutes
> </quoting>
>
>>Harddisk specifications state maximum ambient temperatures of 55
>>degrees. The HD itself will be warmer with ambient temperatures like
>>that.
>
> Interesting. The operating specs for both Dells of my personal
> acquaintance (4100 and 4600) list the max operating ambient
> temperature as 35C, so I guess something else must die before the HDD?

FWIW, the Seagate Cheetah 15K spec says that the maximum air temperature is
55C, but to achieve the specified MTBF the temperature of the drive casing
should not exceed 50C, with 60 allowable for very short periods.

Any competent engineer puts in some margin above and beyond the
manufacturer's rating, so as a matter of good practice those drives should
be kept at a lower temperature if possible. If you go for 20% margin that
puts you down to 40C, 3 degrees above body temperature.

The "keep your hand on it" test is a rule of thumb--a baker is going to be
able to keep his finger on something a bit hotter than most people for
example.

--

> FWIW, the Seagate Cheetah 15K spec says that the maximum air temperature is
> 55C, but to achieve the specified MTBF the temperature of the drive casing
> should not exceed 50C, with 60 allowable for very short periods.

The Fuji MAN manual gives operating life at average temperatures:
<40C 5 years
<45C 4.5 years
<50C 4 years
<55C 3.5 years

"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
> <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

> >"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
> >> Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may
help
> >me.
> >> What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
> >> needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
> >> seconds contact?)
> >
> >If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it
comfortably
> >for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>
> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.

That's flat FALSE. 50 C will certainly diminish the life of a HD. Keep em
40 C or cooler for longest life.

> If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
> drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
> hot...

You are just wrong!

"Mike Ching" <mtching@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:57:59 +0100, Alex Hunsley
<lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote:
> > Slightly odd question.. but in absence of a real themometer, it may help
me.
> > What sort of temperature of metal (i.e. a hard disk outer surface) is
> > needed for contsant contact with the skin to be painful? (after about 5
> > seconds contact?)
> >

> If I remember correctly, the commercial max temperature spec of 85C was
> chosen as a safe temperature for people so it probably gets painful in the
> 80-85C range.

Just NO!

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:40:26 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
<ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:02:31 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
>> <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>

>> >"Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> wrote in message
>help
>> >me.
>> >
>> >If a HD is hot enough such that you can't hold your hand on it
>comfortably
>> >for 30 seconds then it's too hot.
>>
>> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
>> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
>> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
>> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
>
>That's flat FALSE.

Care to supply proof?

> 50 C will certainly diminish the life of a HD. Keep em
>40 C or cooler for longest life.

Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!

>> If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
>> drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
>> hot...
>
>You are just wrong!

You are ignoring the official harddisk specs and are not supplying any
proof of your beliefs.
Unless you change that I see very little crediblity in your
statements.

Marc

In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
[snip]
>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!

Something is clearly wrong here. There's hardly anywhere on Earth
outside an oven where the ambient air temperature reaches 55C.
(Or is that "55 degrees" meant to be 55F? -- I guess that would
explain it! :)

Cheers, Phred.

--

Phred wrote:

> In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
> [snip]
>>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
>>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!
>
> Something is clearly wrong here. There's hardly anywhere on Earth
> outside an oven where the ambient air temperature reaches 55C.
> (Or is that "55 degrees" meant to be 55F? -- I guess that would
> explain it! :)

That's not actually an "ambient temperature", its the temperature of the air
flowing over the disk, which air might have been circulating around inside
a computer for a bit.

--

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:40:26 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
> <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

> >"Marc de Vries" <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote in message

> >help
is

> >comfortably
> >>
> >> Do you have any idea what temperature is too hot to hold your hand on?
> >> It's suprisingly low. You only have to a get a few degrees above body
> >> temperature for metal to be uncomfortable hot. 50 degrees is
> >> definitely unpleasant, but it won't kill a harddisk.
> >
> >That's flat FALSE.
>
> Care to supply proof?

Anybody who reads the thread can see that for themselves.

> > 50 C will certainly diminish the life of a HD. Keep em
> >40 C or cooler for longest life.
>
> Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
> tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!

No, you simply can't read HD specs.

> >> If we use your definition, it would mean that lots and lots of scsi
> >> drives that have been working fine for many years in servers are too
> >> hot...
> >
> >You are just wrong!
>
> You are ignoring the official harddisk specs and are not supplying any
> proof of your beliefs.
> Unless you change that I see very little crediblity in your
> statements.

Clueless.
See:
The Seagate 10K6 technical spec
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/enterprise/tech/0,1084,538,00.html
"Operating Temperature (max) 55 deg C"

Now that's the case(casting) temperature and nothing about ambient as most
all HD mfgs specs show.
That's the drop dead case temp.

Run a drive at 40C case(casting) temp or less for max life.

> Phred wrote:
>
> > In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
> > Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
> >>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!
> >
> > Something is clearly wrong here. There's hardly anywhere on Earth
> > outside an oven where the ambient air temperature reaches 55C.
> > (Or is that "55 degrees" meant to be 55F? -- I guess that would
> > explain it! :)
>
> That's not actually an "ambient temperature", its the temperature of the
air
> flowing over the disk, which air might have been circulating around inside
> a computer for a bit.

It's neither and HD mfgs don't use the word ambient. The spec is the max
case(casting) temp.

"Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<6EjFc.179490$Gx4.12140@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

>> In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
>> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:

>>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
>>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!

> It's neither and HD mfgs don't use the word ambient. The spec
> is the max case(casting) temp.

The 7200 RPM HDs I measured with a thermometer ran at 50-53C in 25C
ambient air, and because many case interiors are 10C hotter, doesn't
that mean that those HDs would run at 60-63C inside them and exceed
the 55C maximum casting temp?

larrymoencurly wrote:

> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>> In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
>>> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>>>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
>>>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!
>
>> It's neither and HD mfgs don't use the word ambient. The spec
>> is the max case(casting) temp.
>
> The 7200 RPM HDs I measured with a thermometer ran at 50-53C in 25C
> ambient air, and because many case interiors are 10C hotter, doesn't
> that mean that those HDs would run at 60-63C inside them and exceed
> the 55C maximum casting temp?

Actually, there are several temperatures given in the docs.

Taking the "Cheetah 15k.3 SCSI Disk Drive ST373453LW/LC ST336753LW/LC
ST318453LW/LC Product Manual"
<http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100148123b.pdf> as an
example, on page 42 they state: "Cabinet cooling must be designed by the
customer so that the ambient temperature immediately surrounding the drive
will not exceed temperature conditions specified in Section 6.4.1,
'Temperature.'"

Sectin 6.4.1 states "With cooling designed to maintain the case
temperatures, the drive meets all specifications over a 41F to
131F (5C to 55C) drive ambient temperature range with a maximum temperature
gradient of 36F (20C) per hour." but then they go on to say "The MTBF
specification for the drive is based on operating in an environment that
ensures that the case temperatures are not exceeded. Occasional excursions
to drive ambient temperatures of 122°F (50°C) or 41°F (5°C) may occur
without impact to specified MTBF."

Then finally they get to the allowable temperature for the drive itself:
"The maximum allowable continuous or sustained HDA case temperature for the
rated MTBF is 122F (50C)." Then they modify that with "The maximum
allowable HDA case temperature is 60C. Operation of the drive at the
maximum case temperature is intended for short time periods only."

And they have a diagram "HDA Temperature Check Point" which shows that the
temperature is to be measured on the metal capsule just above the connector
and two inches from the left edge of the drive viewed from the end with the
connector and oriented with the circuit board down.

--

"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
> >> In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
> >> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> >>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
> >>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!
>
> > It's neither and HD mfgs don't use the word ambient. The spec
> > is the max case(casting) temp.
>
> The 7200 RPM HDs I measured with a thermometer ran at 50-53C in 25C
> ambient air, and because many case interiors are 10C hotter, doesn't
> that mean that those HDs would run at 60-63C inside them and exceed
> the 55C maximum casting temp?

YES, so how does one get the casting in 25C ambient air down to 40C or
less...import a hurricane...give it a blow job...buy a
fan/drive-cooler...DUH!
In 35C ambient air then get MORE BIGGER fans.

"Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<vzEFc.56267$OB3.9697@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

>>> In article <d84ae0dminu4ube0qn8jm1s9j6rdol3d7u@4ax.com>,
>>> Marc de Vries <marcdevries@geen.spam.zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>>>Most harddisk specs list 55 degrees as ambient temperatures. Please
>>>tell the HD manufacturers that they are wrong!
>
> It's neither and HD mfgs don't use the word ambient. The spec
> is the max case(casting) temp.
>
> > The 7200 RPM HDs I measured with a thermometer ran at 50-53C
> > in 25C ambient air, and because many case interiors are 10C
> > hotter, doesn't that mean that those HDs would run at 60-63C
> > inside them and exceed the 55C maximum casting temp?
>
> YES, so how does one get the casting in 25C ambient air down
> to 40C or less...import a hurricane...give it a blow job...buy a
> fan/drive-cooler...DUH!
> In 35C ambient air then get MORE BIGGER fans.

According to www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/d7k250/d7k250.htm , for
Hitachi's DK250 series ATA and SATA drives:

"Environmental characteristics
Operating
Ambient temperature 5° to 55° C 5° to 55° C"

So what do you mean HD manufacturers don't use the word "ambient"? On
that web page they don't even mention the temperature of the metal
casting.

Aren't you also the person who suggested that hard drives could be
made quieter by running their heads in a vacuum? How do you keep the
heads super-close to the platters that way without crashes?