Can't view 2nd HD without explorer restarting?

I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.

I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)

I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.

Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
shuts it straight down.

I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.

I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
browse it?

HELP! Please.

==============
More about view explorer restarting

    I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided it
    into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one particular
    folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer has
    encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
    contains two DivX files.

    "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
    >
    > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
    > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
    > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
    >
    > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
    > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
    >
    > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
    > shuts it straight down.
    >
    > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
    >
    > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
    > browse it?
    >
    > HELP! Please.
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Do you dudes have SP1 installed and a BIOS supporting 48 bit LBA addressing?
    Possibly unrelated, but disks > 128 are causing a lot of headaches ...

    --
    Joep

    "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided it
    > into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one particular
    > folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer
    has
    > encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
    > contains two DivX files.
    >
    > "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
    > >
    > > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
    > > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
    > > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
    > >
    > > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
    > > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
    > >
    > > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
    > > shuts it straight down.
    > >
    > > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
    > >
    > > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
    > > browse it?
    > >
    > > HELP! Please.
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Yes BIOS supports LBA-48 so I am not needing any software to force Windows
    to see 160gb.
    Using XP Pro with SP1 so did not need to do anything to get windows to see
    160gb.
    I also installed the MS hotfix to prevent corruption of large drive when
    using sleep or hibernate.
    I can't even delete the files in the problem folder as I can't browse to
    them! Guess I'll have to del the whole folder or do it from a command
    line...
    "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message
    > Do you dudes have SP1 installed and a BIOS supporting 48 bit LBA
    addressing?
    > Possibly unrelated, but disks > 128 are causing a lot of headaches ...
    >
    > --
    > Joep
    >

    > "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided
    it
    > > into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one
    particular
    > > folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer
    > has
    > > encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
    > > contains two DivX files.
    > >
    > > "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
    > > >
    > > > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
    > > > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
    > > > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
    > > >
    > > > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
    > > > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
    > > >
    > > > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
    > > > shuts it straight down.
    > > >
    > > > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
    > > >
    > > > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
    > > > browse it?
    > > >
    > > > HELP! Please.
    > > >
    > > > ==============
    > > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    UPDATE
    Turns out both files in the folder that was causing explorer to crash are
    corrupted - they were fine, so now I am worried that something is seriously
    amiss - maybe I should uninstall the hotfix that is supposed to prevent
    corruption?
    What I did was from a command line copied one of the files to my C: drive.
    but when I went into the folder where the file was this time Explorer did
    not crash, but Explorer started to use 100% CPU and stayed like that. So I
    tried loading the file into VirtualDub, and it right away started
    'Reconstructing missing index block (agressive mode)' so I may get the film
    back when it's finished.
    What concerns me is that, in years of PC use, I have never had corrupted
    files before...
    P.S. have scanned for viruses etc
    So Longbow69 perhaps one of the files you copied to your new drive is
    corrupted too...

    "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message
    > Do you dudes have SP1 installed and a BIOS supporting 48 bit LBA
    addressing?
    > Possibly unrelated, but disks > 128 are causing a lot of headaches ...
    >
    > --
    > Joep
    >

    > "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided
    it
    > > into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one
    particular
    > > folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer
    > has
    > > encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
    > > contains two DivX files.
    > >
    > > "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
    > > >
    > > > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
    > > > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
    > > > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
    > > >
    > > > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
    > > > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
    > > >
    > > > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
    > > > shuts it straight down.
    > > >
    > > > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
    > > >
    > > > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
    > > > browse it?
    > > >
    > > > HELP! Please.

    > > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > > troubleshooting newsgroups.