Can't view 2nd HD without explorer restarting?

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 2, 2004 4:05:28 PM

I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.

I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)

I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.

Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
shuts it straight down.

I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.

I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
browse it?

HELP! Please.

==============
July 2, 2004 10:44:44 PM

I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided it
into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one particular
folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer has
encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
contains two DivX files.

"Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
>
> I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
> I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
> 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
>
> I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
> my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
>
> Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
> shuts it straight down.
>
> I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
>
> I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
> browse it?
>
> HELP! Please.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.
July 3, 2004 5:20:39 AM

Do you dudes have SP1 installed and a BIOS supporting 48 bit LBA addressing?
Possibly unrelated, but disks > 128 are causing a lot of headaches ...

--
Joep

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided it
> into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one particular
> folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer
has
> encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
> contains two DivX files.
>
> "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
> >
> > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
> > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
> > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
> >
> > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
> > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
> >
> > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
> > shuts it straight down.
> >
> > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
> >
> > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
> > browse it?
> >
> > HELP! Please.
> >
> > ==============
> > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

Related resources
July 3, 2004 3:32:44 PM

Yes BIOS supports LBA-48 so I am not needing any software to force Windows
to see 160gb.
Using XP Pro with SP1 so did not need to do anything to get windows to see
160gb.
I also installed the MS hotfix to prevent corruption of large drive when
using sleep or hibernate.
I can't even delete the files in the problem folder as I can't browse to
them! Guess I'll have to del the whole folder or do it from a command
line...
"Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote in message
> Do you dudes have SP1 installed and a BIOS supporting 48 bit LBA
addressing?
> Possibly unrelated, but disks > 128 are causing a lot of headaches ...
>
> --
> Joep
>

> "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I get this too! I added a 160gb drive to XP pro machine, but I divided
it
> > into four partitions. Works perfectly, until I try to view one
particular
> > folder on one of the partitions, when Explorer comes up with a "Explorer
> has
> > encountered an error and must be re-started" every time. The folder only
> > contains two DivX files.
> >
> > "Longbow69" <mike@longbow69-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I've just installed a 2nd drive, Maxtor 200GB.
> > >
> > > I'm running XP and used the Computer Management option to set it up.
> > > I can see the size, the fact that its called disk 1 and that its
> > > 'healthy' (its also Dynamic and online)
> > >
> > > I copied over some folders just by dropping them onto the 'D' drive in
> > > my computer, then deleted them from my C drive.
> > >
> > > Every time I try to open up the new disk, it brings up the folder then
> > > shuts it straight down.
> > >
> > > I may very well being doing something so obviously stupid.
> > >
> > > I can access the drive via software, Word, Excel, etc. I just cannot
> > > browse it?
> > >
> > > HELP! Please.
> > >
> > > ==============
> > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> > troubleshooting newsgroups.

July 3, 2004 4:26:44 PM

UPDATE
Turns out both files in the folder that was causing explorer to crash are
corrupted - they were fine, so now I am worried that something is seriously
amiss - maybe I should uninstall the hotfix that is supposed to prevent
corruption?
What I did was from a command line copied one of the files to my C: drive.
but when I went into the folder where the file was this time Explorer did
not crash, but Explorer started to use 100% CPU and stayed like that. So I
tried loading the file into VirtualDub, and it right away started
'Reconstructing missing index block (agressive mode)' so I may get the film
back when it's finished.
What concerns me is that, in years of PC use, I have never had corrupted
files before...
P.S. have scanned for viruses etc
So Longbow69 perhaps one of the files you copied to your new drive is
corrupted too...

!