daisy-chain 2 firewire external HDs

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 3, 2004 6:33:02 AM

I have daisy-chained the 2 external HDs to my PC through firewire. It works
fine except I have to turn on both to see the second one. If I just want to
use HD2, I can't. I have to turn on the first one. Of course, I can connect
the cable directly to HD2 to make it work, but wonder if it's possible to
have only the HD 2 working without turning on HD1 with the current
configuration?

My configuration:
firewire firewire
PC <==> HD1 <==> HD2

Thanks for the help,

cpliu
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 3, 2004 12:37:08 PM

Not possible, as the "hub" in HD1 needs power.

Get a 3 port Firewire card, or an external hub.

"cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have daisy-chained the 2 external HDs to my PC through firewire. It works
> fine except I have to turn on both to see the second one. If I just want to
> use HD2, I can't. I have to turn on the first one. Of course, I can connect
> the cable directly to HD2 to make it work, but wonder if it's possible to
> have only the HD 2 working without turning on HD1 with the current
> configuration?
>
> My configuration:
> firewire firewire
> PC <==> HD1 <==> HD2

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 4, 2004 6:35:52 AM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in

> Not possible, as the "hub" in HD1 needs power.

Thanks for the information. Why couldn't they design it like SCSI devices?
I do remember sometimes all the HDs have to be on on the same chain in
order for them to work too.
!